Football - City Bid the Wrong Type of Sterling

Philokles

36 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

but their midfield has been so good this season without him that he no longer seems like a big loss.

Has it been that strong? Like, it dominated against Arsenal, but Arsenal's midfield at this point is basically just a big hole. They were vulnerable through the middle against Watford, and the other game was a truly shocking Palace team that beating isn't proof of anything solid. It seems to me a bit like, not extremely as Arsenal's but they have the same basic problem where the midfield isn't offering enough protection to the defense.

Which is why I can see tomorrow being a real high scorer. Liverpool's wide forwards are definitely gonna cause havoc, but that base of midfield area of Liverpool's is exactly where City are strongest in.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Has it been that strong? Like, it dominated against Arsenal, but Arsenal's midfield at this point is basically just a big hole. They were vulnerable through the middle against Watford, and the other game was a truly shocking Palace team that beating isn't proof of anything solid. It seems to me a bit like, not extremely as Arsenal's but they have the same basic problem where the midfield isn't offering enough protection to the defense.

Which is why I can see tomorrow being a real high scorer. Liverpool's wide forwards are definitely gonna cause havoc, but that base of midfield area of Liverpool's is exactly where City are strongest in.

They have been quite lucky that, apart from the Watford game, the midfield and defence hasn't really been exposed. But I do like their midfielders and think they have started the season well, particularly Can and Henderson. Tomorrow will be a test for them, though, as Man City have strong attack minded players playing in the middle, like KDB and D. Silva. They will have to pay a lot more attention to their defensive duties tomorrow than they'll have had to in previous games, which may well expose their weaknesses. So it may work out well for Liverpool having no Coutinho, as their current midfield three are more defensive minded than he is.

Kompany will be a massive miss for Man City. If Stones comes in, he will have no time for any dilly-dallying on the ball with the amount the pressure Firmino, Salah and Mane will put on him. I hope the game turns out to be as exciting as it should be, on paper. 

7 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I ended up subscribing to LFC GO TV as it is ridiculously expensive to get EPL in Australia. I never watch the games live, due to most of the games being after midnight, and the games are available to stream on demand when I wake up or get back from work. Since the only games I care about are Liverpool ones anyway, it seemed like a good fit.

Then I usually youtube the highlights of other interesting games. If i really want to watch a non-liverpool game, say a tight Classico or London/Manchester derbies, i find other super duper legit ways :P

In other news, super nervous about Liverpool's game against City. It will probably be another tight game with Pool sitting back a bit and countering. But City has made some significant signings that could be the difference between last season's matches and this season. Last year, the fullbacks weren't as dangerous as this year's will be which could be the main difference. Both are fast and could probably track back to cover Mane and Salah.

Wasn't dazn an option?

City vs Pool should be a shoot-out.  I can't imagine either manager, or either squad, suddenly being capable of a cagey gameplan to sneak a win.  Liverpool will struggle to track the movement of Silva, Silva and KDB.  Our MF presses well but tracks horribly.  There is so much room between the lines and when our defenders rush out to them, and you know Lovren and Moreno will, there will be dangerous space for Jesus to run behind.  On the flip side, I don't see Fernandinho alone stopping the swarming, stinging hornets of our attack.  Otamendi makes Lovren look disciplined and Stones is a hesitant version of Matip, but their FBs are much more dangerous.  They lack Kompany but we lack Coutinho and Lallana.

I don't want to be over-confident about this one.  City will have more possession and create a lot of dangerous chances.  We'll have some great counter-attacks and a lot depends on who is most efficient with their shots.  Both teams have been a bit wasteful so far with their chances and perhaps a great goal-keeping performance could determine who wins.

7 hours ago, Notone said:

Wasn't dazn an option?

Don't think they accept Aussie bank cards. I refuse to jump through hoops when I am paying hard earned dollarydoos, AND ALSO have use VPN to access these services. Fuck that!

If i have to jump through so many hoops, i sure as hell would not want to pay for such services.

Luckily, LFC GO worked out quite well, as its only $9 AUD per month and no geoblocks etc. Plus I get to watch some U23 matches/highlights and see how the youngins are doing.

7 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I'm caving and buying NBCS gold... $50 for whole season won't break the bank, and I'm itching for PL after the intl break. But still, fuck NBC...

In Aus, an internet service provider bought the rights to EPL, so you have to be their customer to watch EPL legally. So minimum monthly cost is around $45 AUD per month ($30 for a mobile plan and $15 for the EPL access).

$50 for whole season is peanuts!

So far it looks like Pep hasn't made the same mistake as Wenger. City aren't holding a ridiculously high defensive line and only one fullback (Mendy) has license to bomb forward. Walker is playing much more conservatively which is why Salah has been more involved than Mane.

Otamendi is crap.

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

So far it looks like Pep hasn't made the same mistake as Wenger. City aren't holding a ridiculously high defensive line and only one fullback (Mendy) has license to bomb forward. Walker is playing much more conservatively which is why Salah has been more involved than Mane.

The only thing there is that they should probably have switched the fullback going forward when Otamendi got booked because he's crap anyway but even more now he's totally exposed whenever Mendy goes forward.

Archived