Horse of Kent

Football - City Bid the Wrong Type of Sterling

447 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Lovren stepped over a clearance you'd be disappointed with an under 11s second team defender messing up. There's probably not one left back in a hundred who would have read that and reacted in time, and even if he had he still wouldn't have gotten in front of the Sevilla player. As the game went on he demonstrated more of the problems he's always had in his game but you're reaching big time to blame him for the first goal.

I've genuinely got no idea what you're talking about. He's scored a goal, admittedly a tap in but whatever, had a couple of reasonable efforts and generally brought the players around him into the game well. Bar the penalty miss he was good.

Of course it was mostly Lovren's fault, but defensive players have defensive responsibilities when defending, and Moreno didn't give a single fuck in that situation. A left back with half a brain would have marked the free man, but not him. He wasn't at fault directly, but he's part of the problem.

And if you think Firmino was good tonight, I really don't know what to say.

I wasn't watching the game so I can't comment on Firmino but there's no way Moreno has any fault for that Sevilla goal, no chance. He's done exactly what a fullback's supposed to do in that situation - tracked his man back until the CBs are positioned to cover him then turned to make himself an option on what should be an inevitable break once the two defenders between the poor cross and the attacker clean it up. If you want your FBs covering for that kind of contingency you're basically never going to get them involved in fast breaks at all, they're only ever going to be following the play.

I mean Lovren wiffed on a clearance people in this thread could have made. It's completely on him. 

Just watched the Dortmund/Spurs highlights. So many great goals. 

Edited by Mark Antony

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I wasn't watching the game so I can't comment on Firmino but there's no way Moreno has any fault for that Sevilla goal, no chance. He's done exactly what a fullback's supposed to do in that situation - tracked his man back until the CBs are positioned to cover him then turned to make himself an option on what should be an inevitable break once the two defenders between the poor cross and the attacker clean it up. If you want your FBs covering for that kind of contingency you're basically never going to get them involved in fast breaks at all, they're only ever going to be following the play.

There was a free attacker at the back post. Ideally the attacker would have a man on him and Moreno would be able to focus on the next forward movement, but in the absence of that, he should act.

I'd sooner stop a goal and miss out one of our many fast breaks.

It's hard to take Liverpool seriously.  Entertaining to watch but more brittle even than Arsenal.  Missed chances and avoidable goals conceded -- you could write the summary before the game even started.  The only uncertainty is the final scoreline, which is almost a random process at the moment. 

Northern Ireland up to 20th in the new FIFA rankings, our highest ever position.

I'll ignore the potential problems with how the rankings work and whether or not they are a true representation of the order of the best teams. But putting it into perspective from a Northern Irish point of view, seven months after Michael O'Neill took over, we were as low as 129th on the list. So to jump up over 100 places in the five years since that lowly ranking shows the impressive work he has done with a squad that would be considered Championship level, at best.

15 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Not watching the game, but Man City are roasting Feyenoord.

No surprises there. If qualification hadn't been automatic, Feyenoord wouldn't have made it to the group stage ( nor any other Dutch team for that matter). That is the state of Dutch club football. About on par with Belgium.