What is the last "Holy S*** moment"?

Dragonsbone

Benioff and Weiss have said in the inside the episode of Home (Season 6), that George RR Martin has told them three "Holy Sh**" Moments. The first one was the Burning of Shereen, the second one was Hodors Name. They said that the last one will be in the series finale season near the end.

So what do you think it might be? It surely can't be something as obvious as Jamie killing Cersey, since this is one of the most comon theories out there. I guess it has something to do with betrayal between Jon and Danny. 

I really don't like the "Bran is the Night King" theory but it would make for a holy shit moment.  The thing is that the Night King doesn't exist in the books (yet), so I doubt that is it.  It could possibly be something Euron related, though I don't know what.  Maybe he is a greenseer, maybe he does something really twisted to a main character (like worse than Ramsay/Reek to Jon/Dany/Tyrion), maybe he controls the Others and the AoD.  He's been built up a bit in the books though he is kind of weak on TV.

There is a theory Jaime grows a fire hand after killing Cersei and that it is Lightbringer.  That'd be holy shit.

There's always the possibility that someone will kill Dany -- Jon or Arya would be the most shocking -- and if they really wanted to surprise the viewers, killing Tyrion would be one way to do it. If we look at the past two moments, however, they both concern a fairly innocent character suffering a terrible fate. They've already killed off Rickon, and I doubt it's Sweetrobin, so who's left? Maybe something happens to Brienne or Davos? 

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

Maybe Jon needs to kill Daenerys in order to temper his magical Lightbringer sword in order to end the war against the Night King?

I don't think that the story of Lightbringer will play a role in the Show. I am also not sure at all if the prophecy in the books has to be taken literally. I doubt that Lightbringer is an actual Sword made of Fire. It just seems so cliche.

But I do agree, that it has something to do with Jon and Danny and maybe Tyrion. Jon killing Danny would indeed be a WTF Moment. But in lack of my imagination or maybe intellegence, I have no Idea why he would do that. I just have a feeling it might go that way...

Not Bran "being" the Night King, but Bran being on the Night King's team ever since becoming the Three Eyed Raven.

The whole "Bran IS the Night King" theory is nice, but is almost intentionally overdone to overshoot the target.

Notice the "holy shit" moments GRRM has told D and D - both so far have involved the fire god and magic - I can't imagine why Bran wouldn't be involved in the third.

I guarantee there will be a flashback that reveals that Brynden Rivers as the Three Eyed Raven was the one who filled Rhaegar's head with prophetic nonsense, drove the Mad King insane with his whispers, and told Melisandra to burn Shireen. His successor, Bran, has so far led Jon and co. into a trap whereby they handed the Night King a dragon to burn down the wall. Bran is definitely in on this.

3 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Maybe Jon needs to kill Daenerys in order to temper his magical Lightbringer sword in order to end the war against the Night King?

This seems very unlikely to me.

How would he even find out that he "needs" to do this? From Melisandre? We saw how outraged Jon was when he found out that Melisandre convinced Stannis to burn Shireen alive. It's highly unlikely that he'll kill Daenerys because she shows up and says he has to do it.

I think Daenerys will die when Viserion hits King's Landing, as per her visions in the House of the Undying.

My best guess is that one of our beloved characters reveals themselves to be villainous (primarily because there are so many candidates and it would be quite shocking).  Maybe Tyrion betrays Daenerys in a horrifying way, or Bran is secretly working on the side of the white walkers and turns on our heroes.  

I don't know exactly who is most likely but since the other shocker moments both had semi-heroic characters sacrifice someone they cared about, I think that this one will follow a similar trend of killing a sympathetic character by someone we thought was on their side. 

Jaime killing Cersei doesn't count because she isn't sympathetic and it has been predicted all over the place.

Disagree on Shireen being a holy s*** moment.  Saw that coming a mile away.  Sept of Baelor was more shocking for me.  Agree on Hodor though.

Here are some random suggestions for 3. 

NK speaks.

Secret Dragon beneath Winterfel.

Nissa Nissa

We learn what exactly prompted the Walkers to attack again.

I doubt any of us can guess correctly.  Hold the door truly shocked me.  I would never have guessed that in my wildest dreams.

16 hours ago, Maidenpool? said:

Not Bran "being" the Night King, but Bran being on the Night King's team ever since becoming the Three Eyed Raven.

Why do you think so? He barely escaped from the attack of the Night King and his White Walkers, with one Child of the Forest and his direwolf sacrificing themselves to save Bran. Why should Bran be on the "ice team"?

However, I admit that Bran's role is unclear to me. Somewhere between all-knowing and, yes, dangerous. He knows a lot more than he uses to protect his family.So I agree he might play his own game. But together with the Night King? I don't think so. Maybe just accepting that the epic battle is necessary to come?

It has to be something about the death of Daenerys. If she was meant to rule Westeros at the end, there would be no incremental need for Jon being a legitimate Targaryen. It is just not necessary. He could be a legitimate Stark, the son of Ned with whomever woman who marries Daenerys at the end, thus combining the two houses. But George decided to add another legitimate Targaryen as a heir to the Throne as a main if not the main character. This can not just leave to him and Daenerys ruling together. What is the point of that? One of them being a Targaryen is enough. It only adds up, if one of them dies. And since Jon was lately introduced as a Targaryen, the hidden prince, it just seems obvious that the one we were rooting will bite the grass. But death is part of GoT, so her death only can not be a WTF Moment. It has to be something a person does that we thought was good. Just as Bran fucking the life of Hodor or Stannis burning his daughter. It must be that Jon has to kill Daenerys for the greater good. Maybe Jon can gain control over Drogon when he kills her. Viserion is a tool of the enemy, and Rhaegal will bite the grass too, early in the season I guess. The only Dragon left will be Drogon. And maybe Daenerys will break her word and concentrate on her war with Cersey thus forcing Jon to kill her and mount her dragon for the good of the Realm.

Or it could be that the Night King can not be killed by valyrian steel. And Jon has to forge Lightbringer and Melissandre tells him that he has to kill Daenerys for that. I hope this is not the case, because among book readers, it is a very familiar theory and not very surprising. But so was the burning of Shereen. 

Anyway, I believe the WTF Moment is Jon killing Daenerys.

3 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

This can not just leave to him and Daenerys ruling together. What is the point of that?

I agree, that is extremely unlikely and boring.

3 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

so her death only can not be a WTF Moment.

Well, in general I agree, but the special way of how the death occurs could still be.

4 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

It has to be something a person does that we thought was good

Yey, quite probably, but not necessarily so. If "Hodor" was such a moment, it was not about good or bad, but about a suprising, gripping answer to an unimportant question (Why does he say Hodor all the time?). The third HSM could be any revealment we did not expect, but that gives a nice twist to the story. 

6 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

It must be that Jon has to kill Daenerys for the greater good.

That was my guess, too. (see above)

3 hours ago, Dragonsbone said:

It has to be something about the death of Daenerys. If she was meant to rule Westeros at the end, there would be no incremental need for Jon being a legitimate Targaryen. It is just not necessary. He could be a legitimate Stark, the son of Ned with whomever woman who marries Daenerys at the end, thus combining the two houses. But George decided to add another legitimate Targaryen as a heir to the Throne as a main if not the main character. This can not just leave to him and Daenerys ruling together. What is the point of that? One of them being a Targaryen is enough. It only adds up, if one of them dies. And since Jon was lately introduced as a Targaryen, the hidden prince, it just seems obvious that the one we were rooting will bite the grass. But death is part of GoT, so her death only can not be a WTF Moment. It has to be something a person does that we thought was good. Just as Bran fucking the life of Hodor or Stannis burning his daughter. It must be that Jon has to kill Daenerys for the greater good. Maybe Jon can gain control over Drogon when he kills her. Viserion is a tool of the enemy, and Rhaegal will bite the grass too, early in the season I guess. The only Dragon left will be Drogon. And maybe Daenerys will break her word and concentrate on her war with Cersey thus forcing Jon to kill her and mount her dragon for the good of the Realm.

Or it could be that the Night King can not be killed by valyrian steel. And Jon has to forge Lightbringer and Melissandre tells him that he has to kill Daenerys for that. I hope this is not the case, because among book readers, it is a very familiar theory and not very surprising. But so was the burning of Shereen. 

Anyway, I believe the WTF Moment is Jon killing Daenerys.

What in Jon Snow's character leads us to believe that he would kill the woman he loves because the Red Priestess tells him to? This is the same Jon Snow that threatened to execute her for what she did to Shireen. The same Jon Snow who sacrificed his own life (bar the intervention of Uncle Benny) to let Dany and Drogon escape. You're telling me you seriously believe that he will take the word of a Red Priestess and kill a woman he loves, even though the last man to do that paid for it with his life?

I am sceptical. Are we sure the third "holy shit" moment wasn't the death of Viserion/Viserion taking down the wall? Are we certain about that?

I have no idea, if it is coming in the final season, what that moment might be. But I am fairly certain at least that you are wrong.

If I had to offer a theory on how this all plays out, by the way, it would be this:

I don't think the "Cersei will be the final villain" thing will be accurate at all. I think it's more likely to go in reverse, that Cersei pays the price early on for her betrayal. Either the Golden Company, Euron, or Varys, through some trickery, arrange for her to die. With no other ruler to turn to, Dany becomes uncontested Queen.

Then, *if* she dies, and I hope she doesn't, it'll be in a final battle for humanity, leaving Jon to take the Throne, and Dany to be remembered as the saviour of the realm.

I think a final battle between men will be anticlimactic after the great war is over. It's much more likely that Cersei has made one betrayal too many. That final scene where Jaime leaves her is symbolic. She's alone and friendless, and the wolves are circling.

25 minutes ago, Johnimus said:

What in Jon Snow's character leads us to believe that he would kill the woman he loves because the Red Priestess tells him to? This is the same Jon Snow that threatened to execute her for what she did to Shireen. The same Jon Snow who sacrificed his own life (bar the intervention of Uncle Benny) to let Dany and Drogon escape. You're telling me you seriously believe that he will take the word of a Red Priestess and kill a woman he loves, even though the last man to do that paid for it with his life?

Hey, I said it already by myself that I hope that this is not the case. Read my post again.

30 minutes ago, Johnimus said:

I am sceptical. Are we sure the third "holy shit" moment wasn't the death of Viserion/Viserion taking down the wall? Are we certain about that?

Yes we are, because Benioff and Wise said last year that it will hapen in the last season, so Season 8, near the end. It is definitly not the death of Viserion. 

35 minutes ago, Johnimus said:

I have no idea, if it is coming in the final season, what that moment might be. But I am fairly certain at least that you are wrong.

Well, if you are Benioff, Wise or GRRM, then I accept it.

Archived