Noble House Scenario - Riverlands

James Steller

Imagine that you are the head of a Noble House in the Riverlands (assume that is has been around for as long as the others). You are forty years old and you have survived two wives, who between them gave you five surviving children: Cedric (18), Mingol (16), Sayna (15), Celandine (9), and Purwyn (7).

The Justmans have ruled the Riverlands for over a hundred years, but King Matthos Justman is struggling to rule. Though certainly an intelligent man who fills his court with men of learning, he was permanently crippled while battling a terrible invasion by men of the Reach, making him hardly able to even walk anymore, or (so it is whispered) unable to perform in his bed. Matthos was aware that men would whisper about his injuries, but that only served to make him deeply suspicious of his nobles, deciding that they must be plotting against him in some form or another. Before his injuries, he produced three sons, but none of the princes are older than six, so it will be many years before they can inherit.

You have largely stayed out of the inner politics, but now you find yourself caught at a crossroads, where doing nothing is no longer an option.

You have heard rumours that Lord Tramun Darry is gathering men to depose King Matthos and replace him with his half-brother, Dennis Rivers. Dennis is a known as one of the finest warriors in the Riverlands, but he is also a bastard, born to the daughter of a blacksmith. While many protest his low birth, and point out Dennis' disdain for anything academic or intellectual, many others consider Dennis to be a worthy man to rule as King instead of Matthos. And since Lords Mooton and Vypren are directly tied to him by marriage, it is safe to assume that they will share his mind, if the rumours are true.

Meanwhile, Lord Burley Piper is a steadfast king's man, especially since his aunt was Matthos' mother. He is closely tied in allegiance to House Vance of Wayfarer's Rest, and House Tully of Riverrun.

As if that is not bad enough, the Brackens and Blackwoods are feuding once again, which King Matthos has shockingly refused to interfere with. Your cousin, serving as a handmaid to King Matthos' younger sister, claims that the King sees the feud as a good distraction to upend any possible conspiracies against him, as the Blackwoods and Brackens are among his most powerful bannermen, and will bring others into their quarrel. But while the king is apathetic to the feud, at least he is also neutral: Dennis Rivers is currently in Stone Hedge, claiming to try and resolve the feud, but he is not making any communications with the Blackwoods, nor is he visiting Raventree Hall.

In the meantime, you stand in the middle of all this, knowing that if you tie yourself to any families now, you will be drawn into their causes. And several have brought their offers to your hall.

Lord Basil Tully offers to wed Sayna to his only son, as well as take in Purwyn as a page, under the assumption that Purwyn will also become his squire. Lord Mooton, meanwhile, offers the exact same bargain. Neither one will accept a half-measure, especially if you're sending one to each of them. In the case of their offers, it is all or nothing.

But meanwhile, Ser Tytos Axehound, a hero of the previous war against the men of the Reach, saved your two sons' lives during said war, during which you promised to grant him a boon of his choice. Finally, a year later, he has returned to your lands and asked his boon: the hand of your daughter. He has finally tired of glory, and seeks to settle down, and he has surmised that a marriage to Sayna will secure that future for himself. He is a thirty year old man, comes from almost nothing, and has no possessions which he cannot carry on his horse, yet he lost an eye saving your sons, and you did promise to grant him a boon in your gratitude. Nothing binds you to honour your word, except your own sense of honour.

The young Lady Rosabel Smallwood, who lost her husband to a fall from his horse, has personally come to you, her second cousin by marriage, in a desperate bid to prevent her relatives from usurping her position. She needs to marry again, and produce an heir to Acorn Hall, to reaffirm her position as Lady Smallwood. Your second son, Mingol, is currently squired to your cousin, Ser Lomas, and she urges you to engage him to her and make him Lord Smallwood. However, this means that Mingol would (A) be put in danger of Lady Rosabel's greedy relatives, and (B) make him the bannerman of Lord Vance, who will not hesitate to call his forces to fight for King Matthos against Dennis Rivers should there be a war of succession.

At the same time, Mingol has privately confessed that he impregnated the daughter of your master-at-arms and old friend, Ser Urgan Fyre. Honour demands that he weds Ser Urgan's daughter, who comes from a knightly house that has served your family for generations.

Meanwhile, Cedric has been newly knighted, having squired with House Mallister and earned his spurs through minor skirmishes with the Ironborn. He is newly wedded to Lord Mallister's youngest daughter, but now approaches you with a problem. While returning home from Seagard, he and his wife stopped in an inn where Ser Roger Blanetree was also staying. He caught Ser Roger and his friends try to rape a serving girl after nightfall and attacked them in the girl's defense. He managed to slay Ser Roger and his two friends, but he had to flee before he could hide the bodies, and the serving girl has also fled out of fear, without telling anyone where she might be. Cedric is left with no witnesses, and he fears that he will eventually be identified as Ser Roger's killer. He begs you to help him avoid the authorities, as he fears he will not get a fair trial as there is nobody who can back up his claim that he was stopping a rape.

What do you do?

Note to administrators: This is purely a hypothetical scenario, not a game. It's meant to illicit thought and discussion rather than awarding a win or loss.

All this political intrigue. How fitting that this squabbling belongs to the Riverlands scenario.

When it comes to the two kings, it's rank madness to supplant the legitimized king with his bastard brother. I'll stick with King Matthos, which means that Lord Mooton can buzz off.

When it comes to the boon that Axehound wants of me, it's a high price to pay. Though if he really did save my sons' lives, and lost an eye doing it, and if I really did promise to repay him, I need to keep my word. Sayna marries Ser Tytos, and I make him one of my bannermen. As for Lord Tully, I explain the situation with Ser Tytos (plus maybe I'll say that Sayna is also pregnant, to make Lord Tully less upset), and I offer Celandine in Sayna's place. That way Purwyn still becomes his page, and one of my daughters still marries into House Tully.

When it comes to my son, he needs to learn about honour too. I marry him to Ser Urgan Fyre's daughter.

As to Lady Smallwood, I tell her that I will renounce my title as Lord of my House, and allow my son, Cedric, to take on the duties of lordship. I then marry her and become Lord Smallwood instead. This way I will be there to guide my son as he assumes control of our House while I ensure that Lady Smallwood keeps her position. I also get to pass on my genes to a second lordship with a pretty young woman.

Seems to me like you're going for a distorted version of having me choose either Daeron II or Daemon Blackfyre.

To be honest, I can't support any king who will encourage the Bracken/Blackwood feud. I'll stick with Matthos if there is any attempt to dethrone him.

When it comes to the issue with my children, I can't insult House Tully by giving Sayna to a landless knight. I'll lie to Ser Tytos and tell him that Sayna is already engaged, but I can find him another suitable wife. I grant him a generous amount of land to administrate, and marry him to Ser Urgan's daughter, paying the dowry myself on behalf of an old friend. This kills two birds with one stone.

Sayna and Purwyn go to Riverrun, while Mingol marries Lady Smallwood and takes her name.

Cedric is given shelter, and we never mention the killings again. Though I do send out a spy or two to see if we can find that girl so she can testify on Cedric's behalf if anyone does come knocking.

I ward somebody who gets my daughter pregnant, I raise my kid as an incompetent, I spend most my life pissing off one of my bannermen, I whore my daughter to a Stark and when shit hits fan I expect her 15 year old son to marry that same bannerman's daughter so he can come and bail me out. 

21 minutes ago, devilish said:

I ward somebody who gets my daughter pregnant, I raise my kid as an incompetent, I spend most my life pissing off one of my bannermen, I whore my daughter to a Stark and when shit hits fan I expect her 15 year old son to marry that same bannerman's daughter so he can come and bail me out. 

Are your children also named after Muppets?

King Matthos has been a good ruler, and may recover at least partially from his current weakness. Even if not, a regency can be established for his eldest son, with such stalwart men as Lord Tully, Lord Piper, Lord Vance and (ahem) myself. A rebellion to replace him with an uneducated and aggressive half-brother can hardly be justified.

Ser Tytos earned his boon, but perhaps this can be arranged in a more convenient fashion; I propose that he should instead marry Lady Smallwood, giving him a wife and a lordship (albeit one he may have to fight for) and her a husband and veteran warrior to command her men-at-arms. Since their children will be Smallwoods, his low birth is of less importance than if he were to marry Sayna, and I get another ally.

If Ser Tytos and Lady Smallwood agree to this, Sayna marries Lord Tully's heir, and Mingol marries Ser Urgan's daughter (honour demands; and besides, cementing the loyalty of one's vassals never hurts). Celandine and Purwyn are far too young to wed yet, but I'll keep an eye out for possible candidates (the eldest prince is six? Not much of an age difference in ten years or so.)

As for Cedric, if no one comes complaining, well, no one needs to know. If Ser Roger's family become suspicious I defend him as far as I can (my allies will surely back me up), and help him run if the position becomes impossible.

Regarding this younger sister of the King, is the lady unmarried? I am, after all, a widower of excellent lineage and good connections...

On 2017-09-01 at 9:41 PM, Lady Lia said:

Ser Tytos earned his boon, but perhaps this can be arranged in a more convenient fashion; I propose that he should instead marry Lady Smallwood, giving him a wife and a lordship (albeit one he may have to fight for) and her a husband and veteran warrior to command her men-at-arms. Since their children will be Smallwoods, his low birth is of less importance than if he were to marry Sayna, and I get another ally.

Damn, I didn't think of that! That's brilliant!

@James Steller Great job man, I really enjoy mulling these scenarios you write when I catch some respite. Your writing and attention to detail in the process of laying out the whole thing is great, you should consider writing medieval fiction, you get the good grasp of the whole feudal interpersonal connectivity.

On the other note, try not to put Bracken/Blackwood feud so in the center of Riverlands scenarios, it not that it's bad, but just a little heads up, many people will side with Blackwoods immediately no matter what simply because they are Blackwoods :D

NOW TO CRACK THIS ONE

Accept the Tully's offer, it is good enough marriage for my daughter and it puts me in the loyalist club, which is in this case the bast choice, given that king has supporters as powerful as the rebels.

As for Ser Tytos, he should know better than to ask his lord's daughter's hand, it's not some boon or favor to be granted no matter what, marriage and land can be arranged out of gratitude, but one should know his place. Besides, even thought as a feudal lord I can't give this too much weight, I am sure my daughter would be happier with Lord of Riverrun than with the eye patch sporting hedge knight.

Mingol marries Lady Smallwood, but he will recognize the bastard as his, child will stay with me.  Ser Urgan's daughter will get nice marriage arranged, maybe even aforementioned Ser Tytos who shouldn't complain too much if there is dowry and possible inheritance in the cards.

Cedric will stay in the castle, even without witnesses attempted rape of the maid is not very good reason for killing of the nobleman. I will protect him no matter the circumstances, besides who is to punish him, the king of whom I am staunch supporter in the times staunch supporters are the only thing he is in the deficit of?

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2017 at 5:58 AM, James Steller said:

Imagine that you are the head of a Noble House in the Riverlands (assume that is has been around for as long as the others). You are forty years old and you have survived two wives, who between them gave you five surviving children: Cedric (18), Mingol (16), Sayna (15), Celandine (9), and Purwyn (7).

The Justmans have ruled the Riverlands for over a hundred years, but King Matthos Justman is struggling to rule. Though certainly an intelligent man who fills his court with men of learning, he was permanently crippled while battling a terrible invasion by men of the Reach, making him hardly able to even walk anymore, or (so it is whispered) unable to perform in his bed. Matthos was aware that men would whisper about his injuries, but that only served to make him deeply suspicious of his nobles, deciding that they must be plotting against him in some form or another. Before his injuries, he produced three sons, but none of the princes are older than six, so it will be many years before they can inherit.

You have largely stayed out of the inner politics, but now you find yourself caught at a crossroads, where doing nothing is no longer an option.

You have heard rumours that Lord Tramun Darry is gathering men to depose King Matthos and replace him with his half-brother, Dennis Rivers. Dennis is a known as one of the finest warriors in the Riverlands, but he is also a bastard, born to the daughter of a blacksmith. While many protest his low birth, and point out Dennis' disdain for anything academic or intellectual, many others consider Dennis to be a worthy man to rule as King instead of Matthos. And since Lords Mooton and Vypren are directly tied to him by marriage, it is safe to assume that they will share his mind, if the rumours are true.

Meanwhile, Lord Burley Piper is a steadfast king's man, especially since his aunt was Matthos' mother. He is closely tied in allegiance to House Vance of Wayfarer's Rest, and House Tully of Riverrun.

As if that is not bad enough, the Brackens and Blackwoods are feuding once again, which King Matthos has shockingly refused to interfere with. Your cousin, serving as a handmaid to King Matthos' younger sister, claims that the King sees the feud as a good distraction to upend any possible conspiracies against him, as the Blackwoods and Brackens are among his most powerful bannermen, and will bring others into their quarrel. But while the king is apathetic to the feud, at least he is also neutral: Dennis Rivers is currently in Stone Hedge, claiming to try and resolve the feud, but he is not making any communications with the Blackwoods, nor is he visiting Raventree Hall.

In the meantime, you stand in the middle of all this, knowing that if you tie yourself to any families now, you will be drawn into their causes. And several have brought their offers to your hall.

Lord Basil Tully offers to wed Sayna to his only son, as well as take in Purwyn as a page, under the assumption that Purwyn will also become his squire. Lord Mooton, meanwhile, offers the exact same bargain. Neither one will accept a half-measure, especially if you're sending one to each of them. In the case of their offers, it is all or nothing.

But meanwhile, Ser Tytos Axehound, a hero of the previous war against the men of the Reach, saved your two sons' lives during said war, during which you promised to grant him a boon of his choice. Finally, a year later, he has returned to your lands and asked his boon: the hand of your daughter. He has finally tired of glory, and seeks to settle down, and he has surmised that a marriage to Sayna will secure that future for himself. He is a thirty year old man, comes from almost nothing, and has no possessions which he cannot carry on his horse, yet he lost an eye saving your sons, and you did promise to grant him a boon in your gratitude. Nothing binds you to honour your word, except your own sense of honour.

The young Lady Rosabel Smallwood, who lost her husband to a fall from his horse, has personally come to you, her second cousin by marriage, in a desperate bid to prevent her relatives from usurping her position. She needs to marry again, and produce an heir to Acorn Hall, to reaffirm her position as Lady Smallwood. Your second son, Mingol, is currently squired to your cousin, Ser Lomas, and she urges you to engage him to her and make him Lord Smallwood. However, this means that Mingol would (A) be put in danger of Lady Rosabel's greedy relatives, and (B) make him the bannerman of Lord Vance, who will not hesitate to call his forces to fight for King Matthos against Dennis Rivers should there be a war of succession.

At the same time, Mingol has privately confessed that he impregnated the daughter of your master-at-arms and old friend, Ser Urgan Fyre. Honour demands that he weds Ser Urgan's daughter, who comes from a knightly house that has served your family for generations.

Meanwhile, Cedric has been newly knighted, having squired with House Mallister and earned his spurs through minor skirmishes with the Ironborn. He is newly wedded to Lord Mallister's youngest daughter, but now approaches you with a problem. While returning home from Seagard, he and his wife stopped in an inn where Ser Roger Blanetree was also staying. He caught Ser Roger and his friends try to rape a serving girl after nightfall and attacked them in the girl's defense. He managed to slay Ser Roger and his two friends, but he had to flee before he could hide the bodies, and the serving girl has also fled out of fear, without telling anyone where she might be. Cedric is left with no witnesses, and he fears that he will eventually be identified as Ser Roger's killer. He begs you to help him avoid the authorities, as he fears he will not get a fair trial as there is nobody who can back up his claim that he was stopping a rape.

What do you do?

Note to administrators: This is purely a hypothetical scenario, not a game. It's meant to illicit thought and discussion rather than awarding a win or loss.

Back the Justman. While paranoid, he is the one in control, and will not be deposed easily. 

I wed Sayna to Tully,and he can take Purwyn as a page. I offer Clementine to betrothed Ser Tytos, which should be enough to satisfy honour.

Mingol will have to marry the girl he has knocked up. I offer to marry Lady Smallwood myself. I am able to sire another child, and it will make anyone think twice about messing with me.

I have a quiet word with the king, telling him of Cedric's problem, and pointing out that he is a capable warrior, an honourable man, and well connected. Not a good one to find against, with a civil war in the offering 

Archived