The Parents in ASOIAF

mystique

We know of the shitty parents of Westores- Tywin Lannister, Cersei Lannister, Robert, Walder Frey.

Who do you think are the best and worst parents of Westeros. The ones who raised the best characters?

IMO among the best are:

1. The Starks - For obvious reasons. They raised all our amazing main characteers.

2. Brienne's father: - He was obviously fond of her and trained her to be what she is.

3. Oberyn Martell: The sand snakes are awesome.

I guess thats it. The Rest are either ok or shitty parents.

Just now, LordImp said:

Best: Ned & Cat

Worst: Randyll Tarly

:agree:

(but I'd like a duo for worst EVER: Randyll & Tywin)

I think Selwyn was not perfect (all those attempted bethrotals must have been horrible) but in the end understood Brienne and was supportive. I'd also like to read more about him and Tarth. 

There's also Maege Mormont and Wyman Manderly.

ETA: Craster is either the very worst or hors concours.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

:agree:

(but I'd like a duo for worst EVER: Randyll & Tywin)

I think Selwyn was not perfect (all those attempted bethrotals must have been horrible) but in the end understood Brienne and was supportive. I'd also like to read more about him and Tarth. 

There's also Maege Mormont and Wyman Manderly.

ETA: Craster is either the very worst or hors concours.

Forgot all about Craster , he's definetly the worst.

14 hours ago, LordImp said:

Best: Ned & Cat

Worst: Randyll Tarly

Cat "fuck Rickon, I'm upset about Bran" Stark? Cat "fuck Bran too now, I've got Robb to follow around" Stark? Cat "fuck Robb now too, it's my daughters' turn for concern" Stark? Cat "fuck them if they're not biologically related" Stark? Cat "you could be pretty if only you acted like someone else" Stark? Cat "woe is me all the bloody time" Stark?

I'm exaggerating a bit for effect, but come on. Cat shows much dedication, but unfortunately she doesn't seem to be capable of dedicating herself to more than one or two children at a time, and shows no parental instinct whatsoever to Jon, because technically she doesn't have to, and besides, she was hurt!

Worst:

• +1 for Randyll, Roose and Craster.
  • Also Cersei. Robert didn't help much with Joffrey, but I have no doubt Joffrey would still have been a better person with more Robert and less Cersei.
  • Tywin of course (at least for Tyrion).
  • Daenerys sort of ("maybe you can have my baby, just give me back Mr Mustachio"). I know that's a bit unfair...

Best:

Hmm... in some ways it's easier to spot the flaws than the good things. Ned seems like a much better parent than Cat. He at least made a better effort to understand Arya. Most of the people that stand out to me as good parental figures are not actually the biological parents of their "charges". Jeor Mormont and Donal Noye, for example. And it's not really ASOIAF, but I keep thinking that Ser Arlan seemed like a good "parent" to Dunk, and Dunk did the same for Egg. Even Ned, in Jon's case, was a good "parent" but probably not his biological father. Even Lady Hornwood gave Arya something her mother wouldn't. There's a bit of a theme of non-parent parental figures in the series, although perhaps that's just the result of writing about an old-fashioned society where parents would outsource a lot of their children's development.

20 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

Most of the people that stand out to me as good parental figures are not actually the biological parents of their "charges". Jeor Mormont and Donal Noye, for example.

Edited 17 minutes ago by Ser Petyr Parker

Jeor took the black for his own son.

An other bad parent that springs to mind is Lysa, she loves her son but is much more damaging than Robert and Cersei

20 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

There's a bit of a theme of non-parent parental figures in the series, although perhaps that's just the result of writing about an old-fashioned society where parents would outsource a lot of their children's development.

I agree. But I think that might be true for our society in general. Parents try their best, but they usually have a very tunneled vision about what's best for kids. They think that what's good for their children is what is good for them. Sometimes people that are not too connected to the family might have a different understanding.

And I definitely agree that Ned is an awesome parent, especially with the heavy load that he carries around on his shoulders thinking everything was his responsibility. Cat was way over her head with her family. I think her heart was in the right place, but she couldn't really understand all the very different personalities of her children.

hands down, Craster and Roose are terrible parents. And Samwell's dad too. And I think that Tywin wasn't a good parent for ANY of his kids. He never took into consideration what they wanted. He had a plan and his kids had better comply with it, or else.

Archived