Ser Petyr Parker

Is Jon and Dany's blood relationship supposed to be a problem?

327 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jcmontea said:

@MinscS2

After seeing this meme i am 100% certain she is pregnant 

https://i.redd.it/ml3sr54watmz.jpg

Interesting catch, I didn't actually think about that Tyrion says "You're pregnant" and then it cuts to Jon and Daenerys talking about baby dragons.
That's some typical GoT-foreshadowing, like the fact that the very first word Davos learns to read is "Aegon". :P

5 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Interesting catch, I didn't actually think about that Tyrion says "You're pregnant" and then it cuts to Jon and Daenerys talking about baby dragons.
That's some typical GoT-foreshadowing, like the fact that the very first word Davos learns to read is "Aegon". :P

Yup. Or how in 7x01 and 7x02 the scenes transition from Littlefinger straight to Arya the person who will slit his throat. 

The Targaryen Incest  was always icky and resulted half or so of demented offspring. They inbred to try and keep their blood pure so as to better control their dragons but clearly, many of them had the hots for each other and that was REALLY Icky. I believe we are supposed to see this relationship as a sort of Oedipus Rex scenario. I do not think Jon will go to the lengths that Oedi did but when the wars are over, when the dust settles and depending who is left alive, it could get complicated.

18 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

The Targaryen Incest  was always icky and resulted half or so of demented offspring. They inbred to try and keep their blood pure so as to better control their dragons but clearly, many of them had the hots for each other and that was REALLY Icky. I believe we are supposed to see this relationship as a sort of Oedipus Rex scenario. I do not think Jon will go to the lengths that Oedi did but when the wars are over, when the dust settles and depending who is left alive, it could get complicated.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Cersei was right but about the wrong person "No one walks away from Daenerys Targaryen" 

But more seriously, why do you think this is an Oedipus situation? If i recall correctly a big part of Oedipus was that there was a secret prophecy he was trying to avoid but he inadvertently fulfills it through the act of killing a man on the street who was his father and sleeping with his mother unknowlinlgy. When they find out his mother kills herself because she realizes she married both her son and her husband's murderer. 

Aside from sleeping with a relative who he doesn't know is a relative, a lot of the tropes from Oedipus seem to be missing here. Also, sleeping with your mother is a much more grave situation than an aunt. 

@Lord Varys

question for you. Reading the Rogue Prince right now and it mentions that Daemon petitioned King Viserys to set aside his marriage to Lady Runeston which was declined. 

Is it explained at all anywhere what the rules for setting aside a marriage are? Is it only the King who can grant the request? 

Obviously curious in light of what the show portrayed regarding Rhaegar's annulment. 

4 hours ago, jcmontea said:

@Lord Varys

question for you. Reading the Rogue Prince right now and it mentions that Daemon petitioned King Viserys to set aside his marriage to Lady Runeston which was declined. 

Is it explained at all anywhere what the rules for setting aside a marriage are? Is it only the King who can grant the request? 

Obviously curious in light of what the show portrayed regarding Rhaegar's annulment. 

Since Maegor and Jaehaerys I took all power away from the Faith the king effectively controlled the Faith as well. If the king grants you a divorce or annulment (or whatever 'setting aside your wife' means) then the Faith is going to grant it, too.

That is a huge portion of the fact why it makes no sense that Rhaegar would have set aside Elia - Aerys II would have never given him permission to do so nor would the High Septon dared to do something like that without the king's permission. The other is that Rhaegar would have never done something like that could potentially be so harmful to his children by Elia.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Since Maegor and Jaehaerys I took all power away from the Faith the king effectively controlled the Faith as well. If the king grants you a divorce or annulment (or whatever 'setting aside your wife' means) then the Faith is going to grant it, too.

That is a huge portion of the fact why it makes no sense that Rhaegar would have set aside Elia - Aerys II would have never given him permission to do so nor would the High Septon dared to do something like that without the king's permission. The other is that Rhaegar would have never done something like that could potentially be so harmful to his children by Elia.

Interesting. Thanks for the answer. 

Is it confirmed in universe some where that setting aside your wife meant your children become bastards?