Halt and Catch Fire- opinions?

Calibandar

I just noticed this show and was wondering what others thought of it?

Which season has been the best so far? I see people who love the first and then found that it deteriorated in season and but also folks who thought teh first one was slow and that it really got going in 2 and 3.

4th and final season has just started.

I love it. One of my favorite shows on TV. I think the first season is good but also the weakest of the seasons so far. There was a shift in season 2 and I think it made the show more unique and far more interesting. From there, each subsequent season has been better than the last. Highly recommended.

Been watching since season one, the most underrated show on television in my opinion.  I thought season three was the best overall.  The creators of the show took over as show runners in season three and I think the quality in the writing and direction really picked up when that happened.  Season four is interesting so far, but the visuals are severely lacking.  I don't think the ratings for this show have been great so the fourth season probably had a cut in the budget just to ensure it would happen, but that's not something I've been able to find any information online about.  

Yep Halt and Catch Fire is one of my favourite shows ever, I can't remember another show where I cared so deeply about the characters. I thought season one was excellent actually, and the show has gotten better and more interesting as it has gone on, feeling totally organic in its storytelling, the way characters evolve and change yet are still coming from the same seed of traits is really well done, better than I've seen on any other show, except maybe Mad Men.

Hmm. That is heartening to hear, as I'm very fond of Mad Men myself.

I'll give season 1 a shot.

What appeals to me it to see a dramatization of the startup of the computer era, the competing interests, how it was developed.

Have to agree with the other sentiments expressed here. This is a great show that has only gotten better with each season. Haven't watched season 4 yet as I plan to record the entire season first. I'm so glad that this show was given the opportunity to run its course. It's a sad state of affairs when garbage like The Walking Dead commands something on the order of 35x the viewership of a quality show like this.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Have to agree with the other sentiments expressed here. This is a great show that has only gotten better with each season. Haven't watched season 4 yet as I plan to record the entire season first. I'm so glad that this show was given the opportunity to run its course. It's a sad state of affairs when garbage like The Walking Dead commands something on the order of 35x the viewership of a quality show like this.

I agree with you, but I don't think we can ever expect shows like this to get too popular, nor do we want to. God knows what would happen if they felt they had to stretch it out for 10 seasons because the network likes the income. Better for it to be an unknown hit with loyal fans and finish early than to go on forever and ruin its legacy. A bit like I'm really glad nobody watched The Leftovers.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I've been waiting for/expecting that for the past 3-4 weeks. Still agree though.

I didn't. Just didn't see it coming. Makes sense given all the clues (happiness, burning his symptom books, coming to terms with Haley's sexuality, etc) but I still missed it. Hit me like a ton of bricks. So well done.

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Hide contents

I didn't. Just didn't see it coming. Makes sense given all the clues (happiness, burning his symptom books, coming to terms with Haley's sexuality, etc) but I still missed it. Hit me like a ton of bricks. So well done.

I really loved the scene of it happening. Kind of felt like a reverse Six Feet Under ending. It was the burning of the symptom books that made me say he's not making it through to the end of this season. Really looking forward to the final two episodes - especially with where they'll take Donna. She's been my least favorite of the principal characters, but I've really enjoyed her spiral this season and I get the feeling that she might walk away from the offer Diane gave her.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished a few days ago. Great season and a wonderful finale. This show undoubtedly goes straight onto my "must rewatch" list. Also confident that in time this show will be discovered as a hidden gem on the multitude of streaming services available. A binge-watch might be more palatable to some and the show is extremely binge-worthy.

Also,

Gordon's death while expected was nevertheless heartbreaking. I found myself dumbstruck for a bit there as I couldn't believe that this actually happened even though it was in the making for a while, which speaks to how well the event was executed.

21 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Finished a few days ago. Great season and a wonderful finale. This show undoubtedly goes straight onto my "must rewatch" list. Also confident that in time this show will be discovered as a hidden gem on the multitude of streaming services available. A binge-watch might be more palatable to some and the show is extremely binge-worthy.

Also,

Hide contents

Gordon's death while expected was nevertheless heartbreaking. I found myself dumbstruck for a bit there as I couldn't believe that this actually happened even though it was in the making for a while, which speaks to how well the event was executed.

The aftermath was handled equally well. We never saw his body or his funeral yet the way each person handled his passing as they cleaned up his house was so well done. 

As for the finale, with Donna looking around the diner and getting the idea, then telling Cameron she had one, I got goosebumps. Such a good ending to their story

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Reveal hidden contents

The aftermath was handled equally well. We never saw his body or his funeral yet the way each person handled his passing as they cleaned up his house was so well done. 

As for the finale, with Donna looking around the diner and getting the idea, then telling Cameron she had one, I got goosebumps. Such a good ending to their story

Yes, definitely.

Also liked Joe's ending which paralleled his appearance in the pilot - pulling up in a fancy car, expensive suit, "let me start by asking a question", except this time he doesn't come across as a pompous prick. The photos and other memorabilia in his office was a nice touch too and very much in keeping with the character's evolution over the course of the series.

Archived