U.S. Politics: There's Identity Politics, On Many Sides

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Trump Sides With the Democrats

Why the president snubbed his own party in the debt ceiling fight.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/09/trump_and_the_democrats_strike_a_debt_ceiling_deal.html

Michael Bennett: Police singled me out, put a gun near my head

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/06/sport/michael-bennett-las-vegas-police/index.html

On 9/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, Lew Theobald said:

snip

Okay, I'll take a stab at this "libertarian" or alt right mess or whatever in the hell it is.

1. As I general rule I don't necessarily disagree with Milton Friedman's proposition. But only as a general rule. It would appear that most of the fiscal strain is short term. Longer term immigration turns into a fiscal positive. So, a nation, may have to control it's immigration somewhat to prevent short term fiscal strains, but longer term, it doesn't seem that immigration produces a strain.

2. It turns out, that letting immigrants into the country would probably help fund Social Security in the longer run.

3. A good dose of immigration helps economic growth.

4. Overall I don't see the US current level of immigration really producing much of fiscal strain. Trump has simply made up a crises that really doesn't exist.

5. And why are you trying to conflate Dreamers with "welfare benefits". Most of them are being productive. So that simply doesn't fly.

6. The average age of dreamers when they arrived at this country was about 6 years. They have been here for the entire lives. It would take a humongous act of dickishness to to remove them now. Kicking them out is really one fuck up way to make a statement about border security. 

7. And no Obama's DACA order was not an illegal order. I'll be generous here and say that it sits in a rather gray area in regard to the executive's power to enforce the law and with respect to his broad powers to make immigration policy.

8. If Trump really just wanted to create a path to citizenship for the Dreamers, he could have so stated, without rescinding the DACA order, making these people fear (rightly) for their future.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why do you all do this to yourselves? At least Week has the excuse of being a fantasy baseball player. 

Because there are good posts in between the snide one liners, see above. I may not disagree with its contents, but it's certainly a more well-thought out post than your typical Commodore post, for instance. 

I've been enjoying reading this perspective here lately, it's a refreshing & cogent glimpse into a viewpoint that I don't subscribe to at all and usually have little access to (at least in a way that's articulated so). 

2 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Because there are good posts in between the snide one liners, see above. I may not disagree with its contents, but it's certainly a more well-thought out post than your typical Commodore post, for instance. 

I've been enjoying reading this perspective here lately, it's a refreshing & cogent glimpse into a viewpoint that I don't subscribe to at all and usually have little access to (at least in a way that's articulated so). 

Fair point. At least Lew is trying. And Dog knows that the divide at this point is so bad that trying is appreciated. 

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

2016 was likely Biden’s last chance to run, and the same is probably true for Warren. Not sure why you’re down on Harris though. She is one of the Democrats best chances to win. Castro is intriguing, but I’m left wondering whether it helps or hurts that he has a twin brother. Franken would make a good VP pick, but he can’t be at the top of the ticket, and I say that as someone who has indirectly worked for him.

Really at this point, the best looking ticket from my perspective is a combination of Harris and a Congressman named Tim Ryan. That would be a really strong ticket to go up against Trump and Pence.

Also, it looks like it’s all but inevitable that Kasich is going to primary Trump.

That's interesting, since one of Lichtman's 13 keys to the white house is whether the incumbent gets primaried. Even if the incumbent wins a primary it's still a negative for their path back to the Whitehouse. It doesn't mean the incumbent will lose, but it does mean they can't afford to have one of the other keys that more commonly go against the incumbent turn against them.

Trump's flirtations with Democrats unnerve Republicans
GOP worries about whether Trump will be a reliable force for 2018.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/06/trump-democrats-2018-midterms-242418

http://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-just-undercut-his-own-party-on-the-debt-ceiling-it-was-deliberate

Donald Trump Just Undercut His Own Party On The Debt Ceiling. It Was Deliberate.
The president has grown tired and resentful of Republican leadership on the Hill and feels he owes them no favors.

Massachusetts moves to require presidential candidates to release tax returns

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/349551-massachusetts-ag-certifies-ballot-initiative-on-presidential-hopefuls

Archived