Daenerys' dragon ancestry

Kajjo

Daenerys is resistant to all kinds of heat and fire, as far as we know and made to believe.

• "the bath is too hot for you" > no problem
  • touching a hot dragon egg > no problem, but her maid has burn marks on her hands
  • surviving the fir of Drogo's burial (hatching of the dragons) > no problem
  • surviving the fire that kills all Khals
  • explaing "Viserys was not a true dragon, otherwise fire (molten gold) wouldn't have killed him"

What is this stuff "a true dragon" about? She is human, not dragon. Is there any "draon ancestry" known? 

Are any other Targaryens known for fire resistance? Show or books?

well, the targs were dragon lords in valyria before the doom. those families practiced many of the same marriage traditions for the same reason of keeping the dragon's blood pure. i think the founding families of the freehold actually assimilated dragon blood somehow so they could control the apex predators. so she has it. i think magic's return to the world woke the blood in her up.

In the books, Targs are definitely not immune to fire, including Dany; her dragon-birthing was a unique one-time event, and we've seen her worry about getting burned and later actually have burns. At least one other Targ, Aegon V, showed a similar resistance to hot baths. Meanwhile, "a dragon cannot be killed by fire" is a metaphor; taking it literally is like believing a Tyrell literally can't bend—but some Targs have been crazy enough to believe it anyway, and Viserys could be one of them.

On the show, it's obviously not a unique one-time thing, after Vaes Dothrak, but… maybe it's an almost-unique two-time thing? It's hard to be sure.

It's unique for Daenerys in the show.
In the book afaik it's a one-time thing when she hatches the dragons, but show-Daenerys is fully immune to damage from heat, and as we know this is something she is more than willing to take advantage of. Can't really say I blame her though.

Targaryens in general are not immune to getting burned and damaged by fire. Jon for instance burns his hand badly in season 1 when he saves Lord Commander Mormont from the wight. He walks around with it bandaged for the rest of the episode.

Why Daenerys and only Daenerys is immune to fire is anyone's guess.
Is it some sort of magic? If it is, it still has nothing to do with the birth of the dragons, as she was clearly immune to damage from heat before she even got the dragon eggs in season 1. The reason she walks into the pyre in the first case is because she knows it won't kill her.
is it some sort of protection from R'hllor? I'd say this is more plausible, but impossible to know for sure. He is the god of flame after all, so making one of his "chosen" immune to fire would probably be an easy thing to do.

16 hours ago, falcotron said:

In the books, Targs are definitely not immune to fire, including Dany; her dragon-birthing was a unique one-time event, and we've seen her worry about getting burned and later actually have burns. At least one other Targ, Aegon V, showed a similar resistance to hot baths. Meanwhile, "a dragon cannot be killed by fire" is a metaphor; taking it literally is like believing a Tyrell literally can't bend—but some Targs have been crazy enough to believe it anyway, and Viserys could be one of them.

On the show, it's obviously not a unique one-time thing, after Vaes Dothrak, but… maybe it's an almost-unique two-time thing? It's hard to be sure.

you mean a martell.

47 minutes ago, Graydon Hicks said:

you mean a martell.

Oops. Yes, it would be crazy to believe a Martell literally can't bend, but it would be completely ignorant to believe a Tyrell can't, wouldn't it… (Especially the last generation of them—I've seen their grandmother kick above her head, back when she used to hang out with that Steed guy.)

Anyway, thanks for catching that. And I probably should have gone with a less silly one in the first place, like a Bolton believing any blade he picks up will magically become sharp, or a Hightower thinking he can't get lost in the dark, or something like that.

Archived