Season 8 Predictions?

AEJON TARGARYEN

40 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I agree. Her death means so much more than defeating the NK. Which is why I think she goes down at the beggining of the last episode. 

Yeah. It's possible that she will be the final battle. Dany's decision to spare Cersei never worked for me, but Cersei's response to that was perfect: she knows she's too weak to make a difference against the Walkers. She's going to sit back, build up her strength, and hope that Dany and Jon win, but at a huge cost to them. She can then defeat them and sit the throne in peace.

And things are working for her. Jaime is presumably rushing to tell to Dany and Jon about Cersei's plans. At the same time, they all discover that the Wall is down, and zombies are nigh. Once that's known, it'll be too late to move against Cersei. Dany and Jon fight the Walkers, lose lots of people, probably a dragon or two, while Cersei gathers an army and builds ballistae. Dany and Jon then turn against her, but they've lost all the advantage they had, beginning of season 7. I think Cersei will be the final battle.

OK, not I think, more I hope, lol.

1 hour ago, kimim said:

Yeah. It's possible that she will be the final battle. Dany's decision to spare Cersei never worked for me, but Cersei's response to that was perfect: she knows she's too weak to make a difference against the Walkers. She's going to sit back, build up her strength, and hope that Dany and Jon win, but at a huge cost to them. She can then defeat them and sit the throne in peace.

And things are working for her. Jaime is presumably rushing to tell to Dany and Jon about Cersei's plans. At the same time, they all discover that the Wall is down, and zombies are nigh. Once that's known, it'll be too late to move against Cersei. Dany and Jon fight the Walkers, lose lots of people, probably a dragon or two, while Cersei gathers an army and builds ballistae. Dany and Jon then turn against her, but they've lost all the advantage they had, beginning of season 7. I think Cersei will be the final battle.

OK, not I think, more I hope, lol.

Cersei is the final boss for sure. I just don’t think it will work for her. She is def not going to win. 

They seemed to lay too much ground work for Cersei to be betrayed and for it all to unravel for her in a way that doesn’t even require a final battle. 

1.) there is foreshadowing for some part of the AOTD making it to KL. Winter finally arriving, Dany and Bran’s visions, all the talk of the million people, the symbolism of the wight literally reaching out to Cersei at the dragonpit scene etc. I could easily see a scenario where Team Dragon wins in the North because Winterfell can’t fall but the NK breaks off to attack KL in order to rebuild his army. He wipes out Cersei’s forces with Vicerion and she decides to try and torch KL in a final last ditch effort and Dany and Jon not only have to come South to destory the NK but also stop KL from being blown up. That has everything get tied up in one climatic sequence in Episode 5. Jon/ Dany save the day and the city turns against Cersei with a vengenance similar to how it turned against Rhaenerya. YMBQ is fullfilled and its all set for Cersei to kill herself in episode 6 with Jaime. 

Everything resolving in one big climax also fits with what George wrote in his original outline “The final battle will also draw together characters and plot threads left from the first two books and resolve all in one huge climax.”

2.) we got hints of the Iron Bank not being totally loyal, of Euron potentially betraying her and for someone who thinks no one walks away from them it would make sense for there to be some final betrayal even if not those two specifically. 

3.) they really pounded home the idea that she governs based soley on fear and fear is brittle. That feels like it has to pay off someway. 

A small suggestion for an in-joke, in the final episode Illyrio Mopatis will return (Still played by Roger Allam, hopefully). Near the end of the episode Illyrio will casually saunter in to the great hall and ask the survivors if he missed anything?

GoT has always had parallel storylines that then randomly sync or converge. So, there is no reason why NK needs to die and then Cersei gets dealt with or even vice versa. Given that NK might take several encounters to take out while Cersei might try some messing with the "Team Jonaerys Alliance of Good", they could be dealt with in two concurrent storylines.

As for Season 8 predictions, I fear it will be as big a mess as Season 7 was so this is more of wishful thinking than a true prediction. But, honestly, given that the Night King is flying on Viserion, he can cover a lot of ground by himself while his horse-back buddies can spread out. He can potentially bring the Long Night to the Seven Kingdoms very, very fast within a week or even a few days considering how travel time has now gone up the pictures. He could fly overhead, raise wights across all of Westeros and use them to attack everywhere in every single corner of the continent at once. Who cares if the dead can't swim when their leader can fly?

It would up the urgency to find some means of 1.) undragoning him and 2.) finding out a way to kill him, (which I doubt will be as clean cut as the regular White Walkers) as their hold-fasts will only keep out a pile of wights trying to get over the stone walls for so long.

Ultimately, if this conflict with the creatures that bring Nuclear Winter wherever they go get stopped at Winterfell for some punny reason, or some similar predictable nonsense, like that before the whole of the Seven Kingdoms truly get to feel or realise the threat, we're being cheated. Especially if Cersei is just twiddling her thumbs in King's Landing, waiting, and never actually has to even see a White Walker. I say, "Go to her, NK! If the mountain won't come to you, you must go to it!" aha

9 hours ago, Fenway said:

A small suggestion for an in-joke, in the final episode Illyrio Mopatis will return (Still played by Roger Allam, hopefully). Near the end of the episode Illyrio will casually saunter in to the great hall and ask the survivors if he missed anything?

"Morning, everyone! I've been in the shower for the past seven years. Anything good happen while I was away?"

13 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Cersei is the final boss for sure. I just don’t think it will work for her. She is def not going to win.

I agree, Cersei won't win. So long as Headey sticks around till the bitter end, I'll be ok :D Yes, the Bank is unreliable, and yes, Cersei as a ruler leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly, and yes, a final battle in KL, involving Cersei, Dany and the NK would be great. That's probably how the show and the novels will end.

A part of me, though, wants the end to be post-magic/Walkers, human driven, with a human as the final big bad. Dany's season 6 decision to preserve Cersei was a mistake. It would fit the novels/series for that mistake to bite her militarily, as Cersei becomes stronger, Dany becomes weaker. Dany dies (pays the price Robb, Ned paid for mistakes) while Cersei is killed without having to share screen time with zombies. 

45 minutes ago, kimim said:

I agree, Cersei won't win. So long as Headey sticks around till the bitter end, I'll be ok :D Yes, the Bank is unreliable, and yes, Cersei as a ruler leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly, and yes, a final battle in KL, involving Cersei, Dany and the NK would be great. That's probably how the show and the novels will end.

A part of me, though, wants the end to be post-magic/Walkers, human driven, with a human as the final big bad. Dany's season 6 decision to preserve Cersei was a mistake. It would fit the novels/series for that mistake to bite her militarily, as Cersei becomes stronger, Dany becomes weaker. Dany dies (pays the price Robb, Ned paid for mistakes) while Cersei is killed without having to share screen time with zombies. 

It will be human driven. Just not in the way you want most likely.

Lena Headey's Cersei is the show's biggest asset and its worst liability, if that makes any sense. No disrespect to Ms. Headey: she's one of the few good actresses left on the show--there, I said it--and TV Cersei is a meaty, compelling character. However, at the same time, I'm getting tired of her gobbling up screen time that could be better spent on more deserving plotlines, and I suspect I'm not the only one. (The Tyene/Ellaria/Cersei scene from S7 is a good example. Great scene, decently written, well acted, but a bit too indulgent and award baity for my preference.)

So while I realize that we're likely stuck with Cersei until 8x06, I'll be miffed if she manages to survive until the last 20 minutes of the last episode, only to get a 15-minute monologue when she finally dies. Cersei deserves a fitting death, but not at the expense of the rest of the show.

With a cast that's been whittled down to a handful of characters and rumours that S8 episodes will be supersized, I'm hoping--not predicting, but hoping--that S8 has a little more room to breathe with respect to character interaction, so it's not all plot plot plot and battle battle battle.

23 hours ago, larastone said:

my predictions

LOL, no errors detected.

2. a lot more boring pointless reunion scenes for fanservice

The Jon/Arya reunion is earned, but the rest? Meh.

6. that Pod's magic dick will continue being referenced 

Possibly, but I dunno. That hasn't been referenced since S3.

8.that bran will continue being an emotionless robot even though it would be 100x more interesting seeing jaime again and seeing the wall fall down made him feel human emotions again

Given that in one of the S7 script outlines, Bran actually has a vision remembering Jaime pushing him from the tower and that this vision has no subsequent impact on Bran's arc in S7, I think you can take that one to the bank. 

18 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Lena Headey's Cersei is the show's biggest asset and its worst liability, if that makes any sense. No disrespect to Ms. Headey: she's one of the few good actresses left on the show--there, I said it--and TV Cersei is a meaty, compelling character. However, at the same time, I'm getting tired of her gobbling up screen time that could be better spent on more deserving plotlines, and I suspect I'm not the only one. (The Tyene/Ellaria/Cersei scene from S7 is a good example. Great scene, decently written, well acted, but a bit too indulgent and award baity for my preference.)

So while I realize that we're likely stuck with Cersei until 8x06, I'll be miffed if she manages to survive until the last 20 minutes of the last episode, only to get a 15-minute monologue when she finally dies. Cersei deserves a fitting death, but not at the expense of the rest of the show.

With a cast that's been whittled down to a handful of characters and rumours that S8 episodes will be supersized, I'm hoping--not predicting, but hoping--that S8 has a little more room to breathe with respect to character interaction, so it's not all plot plot plot and battle battle battle.

You took the words out of my mouth, @Newstar

2 hours ago, Newstar said:

Lena Headey's Cersei is the show's biggest asset and its worst liability, if that makes any sense. No disrespect to Ms. Headey: she's one of the few good actresses left on the show--there, I said it--and TV Cersei is a meaty, compelling character. However, at the same time, I'm getting tired of her gobbling up screen time that could be better spent on more deserving plotlines, and I suspect I'm not the only one. (The Tyene/Ellaria/Cersei scene from S7 is a good example. Great scene, decently written, well acted, but a bit too indulgent and award baity for my preference.)

So while I realize that we're likely stuck with Cersei until 8x06, I'll be miffed if she manages to survive until the last 20 minutes of the last episode, only to get a 15-minute monologue when she finally dies. Cersei deserves a fitting death, but not at the expense of the rest of the show.

With a cast that's been whittled down to a handful of characters and rumours that S8 episodes will be supersized, I'm hoping--not predicting, but hoping--that S8 has a little more room to breathe with respect to character interaction, so it's not all plot plot plot and battle battle battle.

I bet she dies first 20-30 minutes of 8x06 and the remaining hour is resolution.

would be pissed if she somehow made it to the last twenty minutes as well.

Agreed. Cersei needs to die either at the end of S8E5 or at the very beginning of S8E6, else it will be hard to give the series a satisfying ending that doesn't feel super-rushed.

"Oh well, Cersei's dead, I guess that's it. Jon and Dany, have a seat, we'll throw you a coronation real quick. While we go and fetch these newly made crowns, consider who you want as hand and in your small council, so we can announce that right before the credits roll common people know of your ascension. Also don't forget to tell the audience us what you're gonna name your kid."

17 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I bet she dies first 20-30 minutes of 8x06 and the remaining hour is resolution.

would be pissed if she somehow made it to the last twenty minutes as well.

That makes sense.

2 hours ago, Newstar said:

I didn't like that scene, either. Cersei's plotlines have sucked the last couple of seasons: she literally wrung her hands for almost the entirety of season 6, coming into her own in the last episode. It's been almost the same for season 7, when she sort of stood around, coming into her own last episode. It's a shame.

Part of the problem is that the show's killed off their good actors--Ned, Cat, Tywin, Olenna. Tyrion's defanged. Jon/Dany always struck me as mediocre, and they're the leads. Which leaves poor Headey. 

3 hours ago, Newstar said:

honestly i thought cersei/ellaria/tyene scene was one of the best and one of the very few genuinely good scenes of season 7. i also don't think that cersei had that much screentime in season 7 to cause anyone else disadvantage. jon and dany ate up the majority of the screentime in season 7 and will continue to do so in season 8 

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

Agreed. Cersei needs to die either at the end of S8E5 or at the very beginning of S8E6, else it will be hard to give the series a satisfying ending that doesn't feel super-rushed.

"Oh well, Cersei's dead, I guess that's it. Jon and Dany, have a seat, we'll throw you a coronation real quick. While we go and fetch these newly made crowns, consider who you want as hand and in your small council, so we can announce that right before the credits roll common people know of your ascension. Also don't forget to tell the audience us what you're gonna name your kid."

I laughed at the way ROTK cruised past half a dozen scenes that seemed like good ending points, but I'll feel cheated if we get anything less than a proper, sufficiently leisurely denouement.

52 minutes ago, kimim said:

Part of the problem is that the show's killed off their good actors--Ned, Cat, Tywin, Olenna. Tyrion's defanged. Jon/Dany always struck me as mediocre, and they're the leads. Which leaves poor Headey. 

To be entirely fair to Kit, I can't see any of the actors whom we know auditioned for Jon Snow and weren't picked--Sam Claflin, Iwan Rheon, Alfie Allen, Harry Lloyd, etc. etc.--as Jon Snow. Still, I find it hard to believe that Kit's the best they could have gotten. I was never particularly impressed with (original Dany cast) Tamzin Merchant in other works, I never thought she was beautiful enough to play Daenerys, and I realize there aren't that many actresses running around who are both stunningly beautiful and incredibly talented, but again, I find it hard to believe that Emilia was the best they could have done.

29 minutes ago, larastone said:

bronn referenced it in both seasons 6 and 7 when he met pod lol.....

Really? Must have blocked it out, LOL.

26 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Dany dies. Jon defeats the Night King. Cersei defeats Jon and keeps the Iron Throne. Bittersweet. 

Nope. 

NK defeats Dany and Jon. Cersei kills the NK and keeps the Iron Throne. She was Azor Ahai/ TPWWP the whole time. Long may she reign.

Archived