Season 8 Predictions?

AEJON TARGARYEN

13 minutes ago, Faera said:

The last scene will be Jon and NK on the beach reconciling their differences with their shirts off and abs out as Dany and Drogon get a nice BBQ going for the rest of the surviving cast. Roll credits!

The barbecue will be made from every unlikeable character ever because, you know, fanservice in D&Dland primarily involves mean-spirited jabs/gruesome deaths of unlikeable characters.

30 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

The barbecue will be made from every unlikeable character ever because, you know, fanservice in D&Dland primarily involves mean-spirited jabs/gruesome deaths of unlikeable characters.

So that's what they did with Littlefinger's body!

6 hours ago, Faera said:

All very good questions and more that will most likely be shoved into the "eh, kinda category".

Eh...:laugh: That's my fear too. :mellow:

Again, I am still hoping for genuine convergence with all the plotlines rather than dealing with NK then Cersei or vice versa.

I would love that scenario. It would feel much more like GoT and I guess they would eliminate the problem of feeling underwhelmed with dealing with one danger at the time, and with who's gonna be first (WW or KL?) type of question.

Since I do not foresee the GC being set up for anything other than betraying Cersei for Jon and Dany, she really doesn't have much going for her. As much as the show likes to tote the character of Cersei so much that she has outstayed her welcome when dealing with the bigger picture... so, if she is left until after the world is saved, I don't see her going out in a big final battle for King's Landing. Cersei should really go out in a whimper as it finally dawns on her that she lost everything.

I'm fine with that. Using GC for that purpose wouldn't bother me. There isn't much time left for smth more anyway. As you said, I just don't want to see her going down in a big final battel. Her character does not deserve it and it would be a travesty. 

5 hours ago, Faera said:

Again, I am still hoping for genuine convergence with all the plotlines rather than dealing with NK then Cersei or vice versa. Since I do not foresee the GC being set up for anything other than betraying Cersei for Jon and Dany, she really doesn't have much going for her. As much as the show likes to tote the character of Cersei so much that she has outstayed her welcome when dealing with the bigger picture... so, if she is left until after the world is saved, I don't see her going out in a big final battle for King's Landing. Cersei should really go out in a whimper as it finally dawns on her that she lost everything.

You and i are on the same page

everything converging would be best. And cersei’s gran plans falling apart is how it has to be. If it all almost works out for her would be a real travesty.

5 hours ago, Faera said:

Again, I am still hoping for genuine convergence with all the plotlines rather than dealing with NK then Cersei or vice versa. Since I do not foresee the GC being set up for anything other than betraying Cersei for Jon and Dany, she really doesn't have much going for her. As much as the show likes to tote the character of Cersei so much that she has outstayed her welcome when dealing with the bigger picture... so, if she is left until after the world is saved, I don't see her going out in a big final battle for King's Landing. Cersei should really go out in a whimper as it finally dawns on her that she lost everything.

Ugh, I really want you to be wrong about the GC but I agree. Them showing up is not going to do much other than betray Cersei, there is nothing else that would make sense (and they already kinda had that with Euron... so why have him and the GC?).
I hope all the plots converge but I don't see D&D being able to pull it off in a realistic, or genuine way. If they attempt it, it won't make sense. But I am going to guess Cersei ends up being just a sub plot while the real battle of the north takes over, sort of how the Stark girls were last season with all the action really being Jon and Dany and "the meeting"

7 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

It's honeypotters who attribute more depth to the show than there actually is.

People are so determined to make GoT in its televised form this transcendent, game-changing thing, but honestly, it's just something that started as an adaptation and is ending as a generic fantasy, and I think that's going to badly affect the later seasons of GoT in terms of timelessness.

I don’t know man. Most people who want Dany dead predict that because they just don’t like her character and not because her dying somehow makes this a transcendent game changing thing. 

Also, in general, not sure there is an ending at this point that would make this a game changing thing. Almost every conceivable ending has already been used and abused in story telling.

The one trully original thing the books/ show pulled off was tricking people into thinking Ned was the main character and then killing off Robb. But then when it killed people afterwards it just felt like it was bordering on nihilism and becoming a parody of itself. Not sure going back to that well would really have the same payoff as before. 

So many of the more negative ending predictions have this feel of repetitiveness to me. Mixing and matching some of the more tragic character deaths from earlier in the show and just reusing them. 

The only hope in my view for making this game changing is not by going back to the killing main character well which is over played at this point. Its by writing ends to these characters arcs that are the right end points and make sense. Characters like Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and the rest of the top seven are above cheap death endings.

They need endings that bring to an end their epic journeys and fully close out those arcs. The show/ books will have value in the future to the extent that people want to relive the stories of those characters. For some of those characters, success and the more traditional fantasy ending might just be the right ending. And for them, the game changing thing is not the ending per say, its the fact that we thought they might legitimatley fail because Ned and Robb were killed and thus their success actually feels earned and means more because we doubted it.

10 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I don’t know man. Most people who want Dany dead predict that because they just don’t like her character and not because her dying somehow makes this a transcendent game changing thing. 

Also, in general, not sure there is an ending at this point that would make this a game changing thing. Almost every conceivable ending has already been used and abused in story telling.

The one trully original thing the books/ show pulled off was tricking people into thinking Ned was the main character and then killing off Robb. But then when it killed people afterwards it just felt like it was borering on nihilism and becoming a parody of itself. Not sure going back to that well would really have the same payoff as before. 

So many of the more negative ending predictions have this feel of repetitiveness to me. Mixing and matching some of the more tragic character deaths from earlier in the show and just reusing them. 

Well, I would be happy to see Dany die, but it seems doubtful that will happen...more likely Jon dies, and Dany lives and she and Tyrion raise the magic fire and ice baby.  

The books and the series show that greatness is hard to maintain.  Both started off strong and have seemingly lost their way, lost sight of what made them special and interesting in the first place.

I do agree that there is a sense of diminishing returns on many of the later plot twists, especially in the show, where these deaths or twists have much less resonance than in the earlier years/books.  It's a shame, really.

11 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

The only hope in my view for making this game changing is not by going back to the killing main character well which is over played at this point. Its by writing ends to these characters arcs that are the right end points and make sense. Characters like Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and the rest of the top seven are above cheap death endings. They need endings that bring to an end their epic journeys and fully close out those arcs. The show/ books will have value in the future to the extent that people want to relive the stories of those characters. For some of those characters, success and the more traditional fantasy ending might just be the right ending. 

I think you're spot on with this. Many people think that a wonderful/game changing ending will have main characters dying left and right. In the books, that already happened to the reader with Ned and even though Rob wasn't a main POV character, you could say Cat was, so this killing off main characters has happened twice. I personally don't see GRRM doing it a third time to end the books. It would be almost too cliche and that just doesn't seem like him.

I think GRRM will fully close most of his plots (some he will leave open to let the readers interpret) but I don't know if there will be a huge WOW moment at the end of the show/books. I think there will be one more left in the books, leading up to the end of everything and the show will probably do it too (whatever it is). But I think the ending is going to be "bland" in most people's eyes. As long as they close all the plots in a way that makes sense, I will be happy.

7 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

The one trully original thing the books/ show pulled off was tricking people into thinking Ned was the main character and then killing off Robb.

While I agree the books are largely overrated, especially by the likes of Preston Jacobs, who puts them on a pedestal of flawlessness and overthinkery no sane man could ever accomplish. However, I'd argue that for fantasy, they did a lot of things uniquely, especially for the time the original GoT was written:

• Compelling political drama set in a fantasy world was relatively new.
  • Prioritising the humanity of the characters over simplified good and evil.
  • Making a fantasy world as a gardener rather than a plotter.
  • Having relatively rich themes considering the previous genre themes of fantasy being 'good is really great, courage gets you far, and demon lords will eventually fall'.

Basically, all of the major game-changers the show had are largely carryovers from the early books, and the other ones are largely logistical revolutions (such as redefining the financial scope fantasy, and indeed, television as a whole, deserves to be seen in).

But I will agree the books aren't quite as game-changing and transcendent as people make them out to be.

2 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

While I agree the books are largely overrated, especially by the likes of Preston Jacobs, who puts them on a pedestal of flawlessness and overthinkery no sane man could ever accomplish. However, I'd argue that for fantasy, they did a lot of things uniquely, especially for the time the original GoT was written:

• Compelling political drama set in a fantasy world was relatively new.
  • Prioritising the humanity of the characters over simplified good and evil.
  • Making a fantasy world as a gardener rather than a plotter.
  • Having relatively rich themes considering the previous genre themes of fantasy being 'good is really great, courage gets you far, and demon lords will eventually fall'.

Basically, all of the major game-changers the show had are largely carryovers from the early books, and the other ones are largely logistical revolutions (such as redefining the financial scope fantasy, and indeed, television as a whole, deserves to be seen in).

But I will agree the books aren't quite as game-changing and transcendent as people make them out to be.

That is true looking at it from a fantasy genre perspective. However for me i wasn’t seeing those aspects as original since compelling political drama we already had with the wire. Focus on grey characters we got in the wire, the sopranos and almost every other great prestige drama worth its salt. And obviously, there are a number of books that have already done that. The way the story tricked you regarding who the main characters were though felt genuinely original. You are right though, as a fantasy story it did way more than that. 

16 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I do agree that there is a sense of diminishing returns on many of the later plot twists, especially in the show, where these deaths or twists have much less resonance than in the earlier years/books.  It's a shame, really.

Even in the books. Jon dying at the end of ADWD did not feel the same way as Robbs death. Robbs death felt tragic to me and was a huge sucker punch. Jon’s death felt like are you fucking kidding me your pulling the same trick again this makes no sense why am i even reading this bullshit he is def coming back. 

16 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

I think you're spot on with this. Many people think that a wonderful/game changing ending will have main characters dying left and right. In the books, that already happened to the reader with Ned and even though Rob wasn't a main POV character, you could say Cat was, so this killing off main characters has happened twice. I personally don't see GRRM doing it a third time to end the books. It would be almost too cliche and that just doesn't seem like him.

I think GRRM will fully close most of his plots (some he will leave open to let the readers interpret) but I don't know if there will be a huge WOW moment at the end of the show/books. I think there will be one more left in the books, leading up to the end of everything and the show will probably do it too (whatever it is). But I think the ending is going to be "bland" in most people's eyes. As long as they close all the plots in a way that makes sense, I will be happy.

I totally agree. At this point just land the planes effectively. Realize you killed characters off for a reason: to create suspense in the end. You don’t need deaths at the end though to create suspense for the post end. Deaths at the end have to serve some greater purpose than just shock value. It has to be because thematically and from an arc perspective it makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

However for me i wasn’t seeing those aspects as original since compelling political drama we already had with the wire. Focus on grey characters we got in the wire, the sopranos and almost every other great prestige drama worth its salt.

True that. I was looking at it from redefining fantasy, but in terms of drama, yeah, it's not by any means revolutionary.

The way I see some of the characters ending, both in the show and books (to a certain extent), is as follows:

1. Jon - Dying or living, both options work for me. In the show though, maybe death is more "fitting".

2. Dany - Idem. But I'm more with her dying simply cause I've never seen her as a ruler but as a conqueror. I can't imagine her after, sitting on that throne, without her Dragons. 

3. Arya - Def. dead. I just don't see her as a lady, happy ever after.

4. Tyrion - alive. As in what position? I still don't know....hand of the queen/king or regent.

5. Dragons - dead

6. Bran - Not sure. Dead probably

7. Sansa - Ruling in the north. They've been toying with that idea since season 6, and it kinda makes sense. She always wanted to be a lady. Both girls would have fulfilled their desires, although in a completely different way they thought when they were very young. 

8. Ghost - Obviously dead. :(

I'm happy not to see Nymeria anymore. At least I know she will stay alive. 

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm over the whole thing.  I expect to be disappointed by the ending.  I expect this disappointing ending is the only ending that will ever exist for the story.  The whole thing is a cautionary tale on many levels.

If my irreverent, snarky comments on the matter didn't make it obvious, I'm in the same boat. I'm no longer excited to see how GoT turns out, just morbidly curious.

1 minute ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

If my irreverent, snarky comments on the matter didn't make it obvious, I'm in the same boat. I'm no longer excited to see how GoT turns out, just morbidly curious.

Wait what?!? I thought you were the show’s biggest fan

i just want it to end. There are more endings that would disappoint me than not so i would like to just know the ending than i can decide if i will be excited to watch it or not.

I suspect many people will be disappointed with any kind of ending.

I am very curious myself though. I believe it's the only ending I'll ever have.

As long as the whole thing makes sense, it's okay. Even if it means total annihilation (not that they will ever go for it). After all, some of the greatest ancient civilizations in history, like the Olmec, Mayan, Incan and Aztec were all completely distinct. 

I don't use this site very much anymore but as this thread appears relatively troll free here are my predictions in rough chronological order:

* The first three episodes will feature the North very heavily, the FX lead gave an interview a couple of months back where he said the first three episodes will set a tone of fear and desperation.

* I expect heavy human casualties, especially secondary characters like Beric, Edd, Nights Watch, Tormund (sadly), we will likely see Northern strong holds such as Castle Black, Last Hearth etc get decimated Hardholme style.

* Whilst this is happening I feel we may see Beric and Tormund arrive at Castle Black to warn them before it gets wiped out but it will be too late, probably towards the end of episode 1.

* We'll see Team Targ arrive at Winterfell and receive a very frosty reception, they are not going to be happy Jon has bent the knee or that a Targ has travelled north with an army of savages.

* Hard to guess what will happen in Kings Landing in the first few episodes, I have a feeling we will see Euron arrive in episode 2 with the golden company and it will be another triumphant parade. Cersei may even agree to marry him but if her baby bump is showing not sure how that will play out.  I have a sneaking suspicion that she will have Bronn/Podd killed and Varys may sneak into the city with his little birds if he doesn't go North (where he wouldn't have a role anyway) so I'm guessing this will be his story plotting behind the scenes to allow Jon/Dany into the city for episode 6.  I assume we will get a scene between Cersei and Tycho also

* I'm guessing Sam/Bran will inform Jon at the end of episode 1. We will see the fall out of this over the next two episodes, Dany will be super pissed she is not the rightful heir, Jon is going to be a mess, all of this whilst the White Walkers go hard on the North.

* If Dany is pregnant I'm almost certain we hear of it after the news about Aejon becomes common knowledge and most likely this is episode 3 territory to bring them back together.  If Dany is going to burn Varys then I expect it to be here and because he is supporting Aejon for the throne.

* Episode 4 I suspect we will see a battle between the Humans and the White Walkers, this will be fierce with big losses on both sides but ultimately the humans will retreat.  We could lose characters here like Bran/Jamie/Brienne/Grey Worm and I expect the Dothraki to take huge losses.  Potentially the dragons will not be involved at this stage for fear of ice spears or some other reason.  Jon and Dany will agree some sort of pact in episode 3 or at the start of this to forget about who rules and focus on the threat.  We may also see some sort of Theon vs Euron face off over Yara in this episode when a stealth rescue goes wrong. Pretty sure Euron wll die here and one of Theon/Yara too.

* Episode 5 I'd say this is almost certainly where the Nights King is ultimately defeated, if Jon/Dany are dying one of them will almost certainly go down in this one.  Likewise if Bran is dying it's either this one or end of episode 4 - either way I suspect he is instrumental in bringing down the Nights King perhaps warging his mount to bring him down from the air or explaining how he can be killed.  If Melisandre returns I'm guessing it's this episode and she dies in the same one.

* Episode 6 I suspect Sansa will be declared ruler of the North (not that I want that). Jon will take the lead of the seven kingdoms failing that it will be Dany. Most probably we get Clegane Bowl here and Cersei being killed by either Jamie or Tyrion.  I do not expect this to be a huge battle but with some fighting whilst Cersei tries to blow everything up and Varys to let Team Targ in having not gone North.  I'm guessing Euron also goes down in this episode at the hands of Theon but only after Yara is dead.  We will get one of Tyrion or Davos as hand of the King.

Please let me know yours thoughts, I'm trying to avoid plot spoilers so appreciate if you don't post them, I only know of two very minor ones

Beric/Edd/Tormund are confirmed to return and that the Unsullied will go to battle armed with dragon glass weapons

36 minutes ago, JonSnowed said:

* * Whilst this is happening I feel we may see Beric and Tormund arrive at Castle Black to warn them before it gets wiped out but it will be too late, probably towards the end of episode 1.

Beric and Tormund should be returning only as wights. I know they won't and that they are alive, but no way they should've been able to survive the wall coming down. That's a poor choice no.1 

* We'll see Team Targ arrive at Winterfell and receive a very frosty reception, they are not going to be happy Jon has bent the knee or that a Targ has travelled north with an army of savages.

I think that too.

I have a sneaking suspicion that she will have Bronn/Podd killed and Varys may sneak into the city with his little birds if he doesn't go North (where he wouldn't have a role anyway) so I'm guessing this will be his story plotting behind the scenes to allow Jon/Dany into the city for episode 6.

I don't see why Pod and Varys would go back to KL. Pod is Brienne's squire and I presume he left with her for WF already, after the meeting in season finale. Varys idem makes no sense. He's useless cause of the writers but he's still part of Dany's council. He would be following her. Besides, as far as we know he has no supporters or network of his own in KL, and they have no clue, yet, that Cersei lied to them.  

If Dany is going to burn Varys then I expect it to be here and because he is supporting Aejon for the throne.

You mean Aegon as in Jon or the "fake" one from the books?

Potentially the dragons will not be involved at this stage for fear of ice spears or some other reason. 

If there is going to be a battle, Dragons will be used for sure. There are no reasons to "spare" them. As long as the WW are alive the ice spears will be there. Furthermore, there is Viserion. I just don't see how can you keep the other two away from the battle.

Pretty sure Euron wll die here and one of Theon/Yara too.

I think Theon saving Yara will happen in Ep. 1. Euron isn't there and they head for WF.

I'm trying to avoid plot spoilers so appreciate if you don't post them, I only know of two very minor ones

Me too. The leaks for season 7 ruined a bit the experience for me. I've just seen some pics from the set. But they are nothing. Just to keep you guessing and making theories.

15 minutes ago, Caterina Sforza said:

If there is going to be a battle, Dragons will be used for sure. There are no reasons to "spare" them. As long as the WW are alive the ice spears will be there. Furthermore, there is Viserion. I just don't see how can you keep the other two away from the battle.

The only way i see them saving the great dance of the dragons 2.0 btw Rhaegal and Drogon vs Vicerion for later in the season is if they decide to play around with the idea of deterance. Seeing as how dragons are the metaphor for WMD in this world, it would make sense that they explore ideas around deterance as well.

So neither side brings their dragon into the fold at first because the consequences of losing the fight are too great so they cancel each other out. Its not until the situation gets desperate on one side or another that they have to take the risk of losing the dragon fight. 

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

The only way i see them saving the great dance of the dragons 2.0 btw Rhaegal and Drogon vs Vicerion for later in the season is if they decide to play around with the idea of deterance. Seeing as how dragons are the metaphor for WMD in this world, it would make sense that they explore ideas around deterance as well.

So neither side brings their dragon into the fold at first because the consequences of losing the fight are too great so they cancel each other out. Its not until the situation gets desperate on one side or another that they have to take the risk of losing the dragon fight. 

If the NK doesn't bring Viserion into play immediately, then, it might make sense. It is a bit far fetched for me still, but it depends how they (writers and director) will play it. I just don't want to see another Beyond the Wall situation/plot armour. :mellow:

Archived