Season 8 Predictions?

AEJON TARGARYEN

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

...(SPOILERS FOR OUTLANDER AND SMALLVILLE)...

So, overall, about 2 months have happened being very generous, 16/+/- days of some scenes in Dragonstone that are not always together (she goes to battle) +some days or a week SEPARATED+ possible offscreen scenes in the boat that last maximum one week before going to the dragonpit and be in the corner.

I’m afraid that this is EXTREMELY DIFFERENT than 6 months

Sweet Jesus, you've cracked it.

Let's say it is two months. It's impossible for two young, thrusting, attractive so-and-so's to fall for each other in two months?

Well, In Smokey and the Bandit, Burt Reynolds and Sally Fields get down after knowing each other for like, an afternoon. As powerful a pussy magnet as that Trans Am might be, it pales in comparison to WOLF-HEATTM, and neither Burt or Sally are dripping with Dragon hormones, as Jon and Dany clearly are.

19 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Sweet Jesus, you've cracked it.

Let's say it is two months. It's impossible for two young, thrusting, attractive so-and-so's to fall for each other in two months?

Well, In Smokey and the Bandit, Burt Reynolds and Sally Fields get down after knowing each other for like, an afternoon. As powerful a pussy magnet as that Trans Am might be, it pales in comparison to WOLF-HEATTM, and neither Burt or Sally are dripping with Dragon hormones, as Jon and Dany clearly are.

well, it's actually less than two weeks. I was saying 2 months to be generous with the poster and taking into consideration that time might be relative in this world (we might be seeing it trhough the eyes of a weirwood).

Their scenes in these two weeks that could reinforce the relationship have been offscreen, and we have been told about them. That's not how a good romance is developed. The thing is that we have to believe a story that happens onscreen. defending a ship quoting the posible offscreen appearances doesn't work for me.

What we have seen is not sufficient. Until episode 4 I saw nothing romantic. And the only way I could believe it is by somebody telling me that before the wight strategy reunion many offscreen scenes that will be released on the DVD were shot.

20 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

On the contrary, the show runners are obviously geniuses.  You know how I know? Because there is no shortage of people who love to come on these boards and criticize everything from major events to meaningless triva or who constantly bitch about what hacks D&D are.  Yet, these same people have tuned in to the show religiously for seven years.  Anyone who can do that is clearly a titan of cinema.

Ha, way to set the bar so high. 

Do you honestly think these people you are referring to, are tuning in because of D&D's genius? Do you honestly think the show would have been renewed after season one, had it been of the same quality non-quality that it currently is? Do you honestly think that if you took away the show's budget, and GRRM's contribution, that anyone on the face of the planet would have a clue who D&D are, based on the merits of their own talent?

Geniuses... :lmao::rofl:

50 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

well, it's actually less than two weeks. I was saying 2 months to be generous with the poster and taking into consideration that time might be relative in this world (we might be seeing it trhough the eyes of a weirwood).

Their scenes in these two weeks that could reinforce the relationship have been offscreen, and we have been told about them. That's not how a good romance is developed. The thing is that we have to believe a story that happens onscreen. defending a ship quoting the posible offscreen appearances doesn't work for me.

What we have seen is not sufficient. Until episode 4 I saw nothing romantic. And the only way I could believe it is by somebody telling me that before the wight strategy reunion many offscreen scenes that will be released on the DVD were shot.

Right, episode 3 has the causeway scene and episode 4 includes the cave scene.  If you can't see there's an obvious fascination and connection developing between them at that point, I can't speak for what's wrong with your eyes.

There is also Davos' small talk where he mentions Dany's "good heart." This is a totally naturalistic conversation between a couple of guys and not a terrible way of provide some exposition.  I know, I know, "it's a bad way to develop a romantic sub-plot". Because you say so. 

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Right, episode 3 has the causeway scene and episode 4 includes the cave scene.  If you can't see there's an obvious fascination and connection developing between them at that point, I can't speak for what's wrong with your eyes.

Obvious fascination......Wrong with my eyes, wrong in your eyes, there's nothing wrong!

Some people like Jonerys, others not. :)

I made a long reply to @MinscS2 about the topic today, I can't explain it further!

There is also Davos' small talk where he mentions Dany's "good heart." This is a totally naturalistic conversation between a couple of guys and not a terrible way of provide some exposition.  I know, I know, "it's a bad way to develop a romantic sub-plot". Because you say so. 

I know, I know, "it's a good way to make us believe this is real" :) Serously, I said that I don't believe romances tht have to be told by others, I can't change it, sorry. We can agree to disagree.

42 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

Ha, way to set the bar so high. 

Do you honestly think these people you are referring to, are tuning in because of D&D's genius? Do you honestly think the show would have been renewed after season one, had it been of the same quality non-quality that it currently is? Do you honestly think that if you took away the show's budget, and GRRM's contribution, that anyone on the face of the planet would have a clue who D&D are, based on the merits of their own talent?

Geniuses... :lmao::rofl:

I know that adapting popular source material is no guarantee of success.  I know those guys adapted some really difficult source material from a relatively disregarded genre of popular fiction and produced an award winning series from it.  I know that those guys have produced the most successful series in the history of HBO.  I know that those guys are managing a series that involves complex shooting schedules on multiple continents and have delivered some of the most incredible television I've ever seen. I know it's one of my favorite series ever.  I'd say those bars are set pretty high. 

I also know that if you really like the source material but hate the adaptation, you say "I'm not watching this." That's a respectable position. 

35 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Obvious fascination......Wrong with my eyes, wrong in your eyes, there's nothing wrong!

Some people like Jonerys, others not. :)

I made a long reply to @MinscS2 about the topic today, I can't explain it further!

I know, I know, "it's a good way to make us believe this is real" :) Serously, I said that I don't believe romances tht have to be told by others, I can't change it, sorry. We can agree to disagree.

Mance Rayder asks Jon Snow when they meet for the first time regarding Ygritte is "The girl likes you. Do you like her back?" Orell later has a conversation with Ygritte about her liking Jon because he's 'pretty". Then there's Tromund alluding to Ygrittes feeling for Jon because she failed kill him.

When Mance meets with Jon after the battle of Castle Black, Mance alludes to Ygritte again "she wasn't enough to turn you?", and then there was the conversation between Jon and Tormund where Tormund tells him Ygritte's love was true because she only ever talked of killing him. Then there was the silence between them when Torment outright asks "Did you love her?"

All of this third party dialogue developing Jon's love and mourning of Ygritte and yet you've said on this thread you have no problem with how that was developed.

Uh, huh.

Mance Rayder says to Jon Snow when they meet for the first time regarding Ygritte is "The girl likes you. Do you like her back?" Orell later has a conversation with Ygritte about her liking Jon because he's 'pretty". Then there's Tromund alluding to Ygrittes feeling for Jon because she failed kill him.

When Mance meets with Jon after the battle of Castle Black, Mance alludes to Ygritte again "she wasn't enough to turn you", and then there was the conversation between Jon and Tormund where Tormund tells him Ygritte's love was true because she only ever talked of killing him. Then there was the silence between them when Torment outright asks "Did you love her?"

All of this third party dialogue developing Jon's love and mourning of Ygritte and yet you've said on this thread you have no problem with how that was developed.

Uh, huh.

LOL?

I have no probleM either with Bronn saying that J and B would like to fuck or Cersei asking Brienne if she loves Jaime. You are missing the context. You cant compare the experiences and time (or how the story is developed) for both relationships, with Jonerys what we are told is that they are in love when they are less tham allies, and it feels forced since the start. You like them? Fine You like that it is rushed or forced? Fine, You don't feel that it's forced? fine, again.

But don't nitpick on things out of context as if I said that things are black or White. I made it very clear with clear examples what my point of view was. 

7 hours ago, jcmontea said:

what major climax or arc closure did you feel happened out of the blue with no foreshadowing? 

I didn't comment on the lack of foreshadowing. But, as per the portions of your post that I bolded, I would say that pretty much every scene in the past three seasons has been "super dumb", "bad story telling", and full of "shocks for shocks sake."

28 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

LOL?

I have no probleM either with Bronn saying that J and B would like to fuck or Cersei asking Brienne if she loves Jaime. You are missing the context. You cant compare the experiences and time (or how the story is developed) for both relationships, with Jonerys what we are told is that they are in love when they are less tham allies, and it feels forced since the start. You like them? Fine You like that it is rushed or forced? Fine, You don't feel that it's forced? fine, again.

But don't nitpick on things out of context as if I said that things are black or White. I made it very clear with clear examples what my point of view was. 

I have said my "Uh huh's"

Good day, Madam!

6 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

I didn't comment on the lack of foreshadowing. But, as per the portions of your post that I bolded, I would say that pretty much every scene in the past three seasons has been "super dumb", "bad story telling", and full of " shocks for shocks sake."

Every scene is an extreme position that is just unserious. 

4 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Maybe. Its not clear to me though this is purely a blood thing. Jon may have Targ blood, but nothing about him this entire series has been associated with Fire. He is someone who has always been in the far north, someone who has been dealing with the white walker threat etc. 

Dany on the other hand in contrast to Jon who literally has always been in the snowiest locals dealing with the ice zombies, has been heavily associated with fire from the dragons, to being the unburnt to being the warmest locations. 

Mel could be wrong. But that would mean ice and fire is purely blood and that is not clear. 

Fair enough, I can see where your coming from on this point.

4 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Sure. They didn't have to fall in love. But they did so that is the story. Not sure what your point is. 

Well no, they haven't even met in the books yet - of which GRRM's comments were referring to - so that is not the story and they haven't fallen in love. My point is that GRRM's comments are not indicative that Jon and Daenerys will fall in love in the books. I mean, it's quite clear that Tyrion and Danny's stories are going to "converge" in the next book, does that mean she is going to fall in love with him as well?

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

We're criticizing a story where two characters fall in love because they "didn't have to fall in love"?

I didn't make that criticism. The point is, that just because two characters' stories are going to converge, that does not corolate to them having to fall in love. GRRM's comment is being used to support that argument, and that is an inaccurate interpretation of his statement.

22 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

Well no, they haven't even met in the books yet - of which GRRM's comments were referring to - so that is not the story and they haven't fallen in love. My point is that GRRM's comments are not indicative that Jon and Daenerys will fall in love in the books. I mean, it's quite clear that Tyrion and Danny's stories are going to "converge" in the next book, does that mean she is going to fall in love with him as well?

10 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

I didn't make that criticism. The point is, that just because two characters' stories are going to converge, that does not corolate to them having to fall in love. GRRM's comment is being used to support that argument, and that is an inaccurate interpretation of his statement.

This is a show thread. If the show runners work in a romantic sub plot between the shows main characters that doesn't exist in the books, I'm fine with that.

For the record, I think they'll be going at it like rabbits for most of the seventh book.  Just a hunch.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I know that adapting popular source material is no guarantee of success.  I know those guys adapted some really difficult source material from a relatively disregarded genre of popular fiction and produced an award winning series from it.  I know that those guys have produced the most successful series in the history of HBO.  I know that those guys are managing a series that involves complex shooting schedules on multiple continents and have delivered some of the most incredible television I've ever seen. I know it's one of my favorite series ever.  I'd say those bars are set pretty high. 

Well, that's not what I was commenting on, you have now raised the bar. Initially, this was the bar that you set:

"...because there is no shortage of people who love to come on these boards and criticize everything from major events to meaningless triva or who constantly bitch about what hacks D&D are."

And like I said, none of what you are now raving about is a result of D&D's genius talent. Take away GRRM's story, and HBO's money, and you are left with two unsuccessful, failed screen writers. Or can you site some of Benioff or Weiss' own original writing that has been successful, and meets the criteria that you have laid out.

5 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This is a show thread. If the show runners work in a romantic sub plot between the shows main characters that doesn't exist in the books, I'm fine with that.

That's fine, but misrepresenting a comment made by the author of the books, to support your show argument is not, and is fair game to be called out on.

2 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

Well, that's not what I was commenting on, you have now raised the bar. Initially, this was the bar that you set:

"...because there is no shortage of people who love to come on these boards and criticize everything from major events to meaningless triva or who constantly bitch about what hacks D&D are."

And like I said, none of what you are now raving about is a result of D&D's genius talent. Take away GRRM's story, and HBO's money, and you are left with two unsuccessful, failed screen writers. Or can you site some of Benioff or Weiss' own original writing that has been successful, and meets the criteria that you have laid out.

No. the criteria was that there are people on these boards who think the show is shit. Despite this opinion, they continue to consume shit.  Instead of waving off the next helping of shit, they complain about the previous helping of shit and ask for another steaming bowl of shit. They have done so without fail for seven years. Anyone who can convince people to eat shit for seven years is a pretty sharp cookie.  Also, sarcasm.

And as I said, good source material is no guarantee of success. It still doesn't guarantee success even if you throw a pile of money at it.  If someone creates an adapted work and it receives critical and commercial acclaim, yes, they deserve to take credit for what they've done.  Their past successes or failures are irrelevant.

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

No. the criteria was that there are people on these boards who think the show is shit. Despite this opinion, they continue to consume shit.  Instead of waving off the next helping of shit, they complain about the previous helping of shit and ask for another steaming bowl of shit. They have done so without fail for seven years. Anyone who can convince people to eat shit for seven years is a pretty sharp cookie.  Also, sarcasm.

Again, do you honestly think that what you are describing can be attributed to the genius of D&D? 

I can assure you that is not the case. The reason I continue to come back for "another steaming bowl of shit" as you so aptly put it, is because I've had a vested interest in the story that is being told, since long, long before D&D ever heard of GRRM, or A Song of Ice and Fire. I am curious to see how these hacks are butchering a work of art, enjoy the CGI (something that is in no way a result of D&D's genius), and have every right to watch a show I think is crappy, criticize it if I feel it's warranted, and could care less if you don't think that is a respectable position.

And as I said, good source material is no guarantee of success. It still doesn't guarantee success even if you throw a pile of money at it.  If someone creates an adapted work and it receives critical and commercial acclaim, yes, they deserve to take credit for what they've done.  Their past successes or failures are irrelevant.

Sure, they deserve credit for what they have done, but you are trying to give them credit for something that has nothing to do with them.

If you took D&D out of the equation, and had some other nobody from the business take their place, the show would have still been a huge success. If you took GRRM's story out of the equation, and nixed HBO's budget, D&D would not be able to produce the same results.

The shows success is a result of GRRM's story, and HBO's financial support and backing, not due to D&D's genius. Anyone lucky enough to fall into the opportunity that they did, could produce the same results in that situation, and most would have done far better.

Just look at the quality of the show when they were following the source material, compared to the incoherent, clichéd, nonsensical drivel that they have produced on their own. Believe me, the show wouldn't have been a success if season one was anything like the past three; Book fans would have despised the show, it would have never been renewed for a second season, and all of the fans that now love the show, would have never heard of GRRM, or ASoIaF.

16 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

Again, do you honestly think that what you are describing can be attributed to the genius of D&D? 

I can assure you that is not the case. The reason I continue to come back for "another steaming bowl of shit" as you so aptly put it, is because I've had a vested interest in the story that is being told, since long, long before D&D ever heard of GRRM, or A Song of Ice and Fire. I am curious to see how these hacks are butchering a work of art, enjoy the CGI (something that is in no way a result of D&D's genius), and have every right to watch a show I think is crappy, criticize it if I feel it's warranted, and could care less if you don't think that is a respectable position.

Yeah, that's nonsense and I'm not explaining myself agin.

17 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

Sure, they deserve credit for what they have done, but you are trying to give them credit for something that has nothing to do with them.

Explain this.  They are credited as the creators of the show, executive producers and have writing credits for the bulk of the episodes, including the ones featuring stuff the GRRM hasn't published yet. What have I given them undue credit for?

Also, there are plenty of other people who have producing and writing credits for this series. there's also a pile of directors who have worked on this.  Do they deserve bile form the amateur critic's online community or does it all get heaped on D&D?

21 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

If you took D&D out of the equation, and had some other nobody from the business take their place, the show would have still been a huge success. If you took GRRM's story out of the equation, and nixed HBO's budget, D&D would not be able to produce the same results.

Almost every single adapted work ever made was based in source material that had commercial and critical acclaim.  It never gets to the stage of being adapted if it hasn't. Even with ample budgets and good people working on them, often as not, they turn out to be mediocre or just garbage. You want examples?

Archived