MLB 2017: Jim Rice Tells CC Sabathia to Mix in a Salad

Manhole Eunuchsbane

35 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

seriously this is a talk in dc right now. everyone's buttocks are burning over the nats and they are talking about doom in dc  sports but unwilling to acknowledge dc united and mls.

I don't follow association football, but I bet DC United stands a better chance of winning an MLB playoff series than the Nats.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Cause MLS is a fringe sport at best. I get it, I dig soccer as well, but it's all about the National Team in this country. Or I should say it's all about the National Team of whatever country that your background dictates. World Cup is big, granted, but the MLS doesn't chart. And now that the National Team has failed to qualify, I think that's going to make soccer in the states less relevant for the next few years.

last year more people attended mls games than nba or nhl games. how is that for fringe?

9 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

last year more people attended mls games than nba or nhl games. how is that for fringe?

I think that most probably boils down to affordability at the end of the day. I have a pretty decent middle class sort of income, and I feel priced out of your average NHL or NBA seat. The only time I attend a Sharks or a Warriors game is when my "kind of a big deal" corporate accountant buddy floats me a pair of those tickets.

Look, I get it, I love soccer as well. I played AYSO from the time I was 8 until 18. I played varsity soccer in high school. It's a great game. As a kid, both of my parents were into World Cup back when Univision was the only place you could watch it. That said, isn't MLS basically minor league soccer? When you compare it to World Cup/Olympic soccer or even say Premiere League, it's an inferior product, right? 

14 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

That's not correct. Total attendance last year for NBA and NHL were both over 21 million, whereas MLS was 7 million.  Maybe you mean in terms of average attendance, where the 21,000 MLS fans per game is higher than the 17-18,000 for NHL/NBA?  But that is largely a function of playing 1/4th as many games, which makes it easier to drive up attendance per game. 

Archived