List of houses based on "seed strength"

I am trying to create list of main houses based on their seeds:

• Baratheon. Once Jon Arryn praised this family: The seed is strong. 
  • Tully. Evidence is Stark children. 4 out of every five Stark children have Tully appearance.
  • Stark. I believe  R+L=J. So Jon got more from Starks. 
  • Targaryen/Martell. Marriages between Targaryens and Martells don't give us enough evidence to summarize about their strength. So these two houses have equal seed strength.
  • Frey. Apparently, they are stronger than Lannisters because of Emmon and Genna marriage.
  • Lannister.
  • Greyjoy/Tyrell. controversial
  • Arryn/Bolton/Baelish. no evidence

9 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Durrandon. The "Baratheon" looks are actually from Argella Durrandon.

I'm kinda sleepy here, but do we know how Argella looked or any Durrandon? In the past I thought the Durrandons were actually sandy haired and blue eyed, after their intermarriage with the andals.

Baratheon beats Lannister at least the first generation.  Considering most of the great houses have a look the seed is strong all round regardless of who they wed the look returns quickly to the following generation.

As for the rest it's hard to say they don't tend to mix often and Cat 4 to Neds 1 might be chance or might be specific to Cat is Ned individually being strong.

We should learn more once GRRM has finiahed The Lineages and Histories of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms, With Descriptions of Many High Lords and Noble Ladies and Their Children, he had already written half of it when GoT came out

On 3.9.2017 at 10:07 AM, King Merrett I Frey said:

I'm kinda sleepy here, but do we know how Argella looked or any Durrandon? In the past I thought the Durrandons were actually sandy haired and blue eyed, after their intermarriage with the andals.

Argilac was known for his "famous mane of black hair" when he was younger, before it had gone grey in his old age. No further description of Durrandons anywhere in the books. Orys had black eyes, so deep blue eyes are not from him. Neither are they from Rhaelle (grandmother of Robert, Stannis and Renly), since her parents were Aegon V with his purple eyes, and "Black" Betha with her renowned black eyes. 

Though there is Jocelyn Baratheon who's daughter had the Targaryen looks, I think that was a mistake not unlike Renly's green eyes turning blue because Martin forgot that they can't be anything else. He just got into it because he wrote Renly wearing green all the time to show how much he is in bed (in more ways than one) with the Tyrells. Every known child of a Baratheon male or female with another Lannister, Florent, or any of Robert's whores is nearly identical. Nothing hints at Rhaenys being a bastard of Jocelyn from another, so I think it is more likely that Martin simply forgot.

Ned going through the book of great houses and finds that there are cases of Baratheon kids with other features, and then what? Goes with that to Robert and says "your family only has few cases of blonde kids, so I think your wife is fucking her brother"?

The Targaryen look is known to give in to others. Strong, Bracken, Martell looks won over it. Plenty of "dragonseeds" with varied looks. Not the Baratheons though, which is why Ned saw this as proof that Joffrey and Myrcella and Tommen cannot be Robert's. 

Orys shared the black hair and build with Argilac. Not the eyes, which I think are clearly Durrandon. 

I think the "Baratheon" looks are purely Durrandon, and Orys just shared black hair and strong build, nothing more. I'll actually go a step further, and say I think the Durrandon looks is so dominant because the Durrandon origin story may hold more truth than myth. 

The famous Florent ears seen in young Shireen Baratheon and Edric Storm could be proof of the seed of the Fox having some strength, considering the documented power of the Stag's seed.

@Nyrhex nice post man, it's notable that all the houses you posted, who's "look" wins over the Valyrian features, are of First Men origin, interesting.

The Godsgrief may have started the dynasty with Elenei, daughter of a sea god, so the deep blue Baratheon eyes may have some aquatic connotations.

Archived