Sansa's Role In The War For The Dawn?

AEJON TARGARYEN

8 hours ago, Romaine3 said:

@Blue-Eyed Wolf 

I am well aware that feeding your people, feeding your army, and tending to their needs in every capacity you as a leader possibly can is essential to success. Sansa may very well personally do so from time to time to gauge the morale of the people she is leading. For the most part though, she needs to delegate this responsibility to those people she can deem trustworthy enough to handle this task. Her focus as Warden of the Vale needs to shift primarily to the grand scheme of things.

She needs to be paying attention to troop counts, enemy movements, recruiting the hill tribes and making them feel important and included, how many non combatants are under her wings, what can they do to be productive, can she keep her lines of communications open, supplies flowing in, everything you can think of that would lead to success, Sansa has to be mindful of in order to ensure that her people make it through. The worst part about it is that she is going to have to live with herself knowing that she is going to be sending good people to their deaths. That I think will be the hardest part for her when it is all said and done.

I think she will be able to do it though.

I agree the delegating jobs to the right people is something good leaders do, but I'm not seeing Sansa as specifically a military leader because we have no basis for that in her experience.  Warden is a military title and kinda-sorta still belongs to Robert Arryn.  I know Ned and King Robert debated this issue as the king feared a Targaryen uprising and he wanted an adult, experienced man named as Warden of the East at least until/if Robert reached majority.  What we thought was Robert's paranoia actually turns out to be a rather valid point.  Sansa doesn't have any military experience or tactical training in her background.  Unfortunately, her mother seemed like she had some of that practical knowledge of castle defense but didn't pass this on to her daughters.  

If we wanna talk about who would actually be the military leader of the Vale, the acting Warden, that would probably be Yohn Royce.  He's kin to the Starks and he's the man with military experience.  Prior to LF, he was the most influential and powerful of the vassal houses.  What we've seen so far of the young knights of the Vale, they are "knights of summer" still playing at jousting.  I don't have as much confidence in them as I do in the clans, who are battle experienced.  The prevailing Vale chivalric culture is still a highly sexist one so I don't expect them to hand her the reins of command automatically as a young female, even if she is Ned's daughter.  What's stopping them from immediately thinking in terms of marriage proposals as well?  What's interesting is that she may have an easier time being taken seriously as a young female with the mountain clans and their egalitarianism between the sexes and democratic style of rule.  I don't think we'd be wrong in looking to Jon's story for how wildling culture has affected the POV as well as the wider story.    

4 hours ago, Romaine3 said:

@Blue-Eyed Wolf seeing as how Sansa had her Wolf taken from her, what would you think about her taking up the noble sport of Falconry to pass some time?

I mean, as far as skin changing a bird?  Maybe.  I don't think anything will replace Lady as that spiritual relationship was special (the only thing that will come close is her Dog).  She would need to be exposed to someone who can teach her about being a skin changer or be around an animal long enough to create that bond.  I had this conversation about hawking with @The Weirwoods Eyes  not that long ago who had some good points about that.  Maybe not a falcon, but a perhaps a merlin which is the smallest ("Little Bird") of the birds used in hawking.  Lady was the smallest of the direwolves. They might be small, but they are known to be aggressive hunters that can take down birds as big as themselves.  Let's hope it's a mockingbird.  They are also colloquially known as "pigeon hawks" and just prior to and at the PW Sansa is connected to doves and pigeons (the dove-grey dress, the dove from the pigeon pie that metaphorically "shits" on Tyrion and flies away).  This passage of the hawking with Margaery probably had significance to the next part of her story post-PW.  It comes in the context of Sansa warning Margaery that Joffrey will hurt her if she marries him and to her confusion Marg is pretty confident that he won't.  We know why.  

But the waterfowl teemed in the marshes along the bay, and Sansa's merlin brought down three ducks while Margaery's peregrine took a heron in full flight.

The peregrine is a type of falcon and it's paired with the heron, which Weirwood eyes noted is a bird of prey that snatches up unsuspecting fish (Tully!).  Falcon = Lysa Arryn and the fish-stealing heron = LF.  It's Lysa that arrives at the Fingers to snatch up her lover and take him back to the Eyrie, her nest.  This is all under the same conversation where we know one side of the marriage is planning on offing the other.  It's just the roles are reversed.  Margaery is also seducing Sansa with promises of marrying Willas and how wonderful her life will be at Highgarden once they spirit her away from the capital.  LF spirits her away and promises her she can get her home back if she marries the next falcon, HtH.  Sansa just isn't an Arryn though, so I doubt the falcon will be the bird that best fits her character.  So with that said, we can see that Sansa's merlin is paired with the three ducks.  I don't wanna go into it here and derail the thread, but I'll just say I think it relates the hedge knight theory in my signature.  (If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, they must be ducks right? :ph34r:).  So I'm not totally certain the bird imagery means she will definitely skin change a bird, but I bet she will skin change something.  I don't know in there's going to be all this leisure time for hawking in TWOW.  I expect the shit will hit the fan fairly fast. 

If not a merlin, there's another possibility of a small but mighty animal:  the bat.  She's been connected to bats in the text, a "wolf with bat wings," the bats in her tummy, her maternal grandmother's Whent heritage, and a reasonable belief her path will intersect with Harrenhal.  Skin changing a bat would be pretty effing metal IMO.                 

Sansa warging a bat is very slim to none. She will most likely warg a bird. Birds have been such a recurring theme in her narrative. Birds are a synonymous to Sansa in the same way cats are to Arya. And look what happened with Arya, she ended up warging a cat. If we logically look at the amount of foreshadowing in her chapters Sansa will end up warging a bird. 

17 hours ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

Yes.  I really believe GRRM (being ultimately feminist) does intend to have Sansa's purpose mean something more then getting married and having children.

It would be interesting if Sansa ended up happy as an unmarried, independent woman, perhaps in charge of something a man would normally run (e.g. on the Small Council), while Arya falls in love with someone and ends up happy as a wife and mother. Especially in the unlikely event that Gendry is legitimised and she ends up as his queen in KL.

8 hours ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

I agree the delegating jobs to the right people is something good leaders do, but I'm not seeing Sansa as specifically a military leader because we have no basis for that in her experience.  Warden is a military title and kinda-sorta still belongs to Robert Arryn.  I know Ned and King Robert debated this issue as the king feared a Targaryen uprising and he wanted an adult, experienced man named as Warden of the East at least until/if Robert reached majority.  What we thought was Robert's paranoia actually turns out to be a rather valid point.  Sansa doesn't have any military experience or tactical training in her background.  Unfortunately, her mother seemed like she had some of that practical knowledge of castle defense but didn't pass this on to her daughters.  

If we wanna talk about who would actually be the military leader of the Vale, the acting Warden, that would probably be Yohn Royce.  He's kin to the Starks and he's the man with military experience.  Prior to LF, he was the most influential and powerful of the vassal houses.  What we've seen so far of the young knights of the Vale, they are "knights of summer" still playing at jousting.  I don't have as much confidence in them as I do in the clans, who are battle experienced.  The prevailing Vale chivalric culture is still a highly sexist one so I don't expect them to hand her the reins of command automatically as a young female, even if she is Ned's daughter.  What's stopping them from immediately thinking in terms of marriage proposals as well?  What's interesting is that she may have an easier time being taken seriously as a young female with the mountain clans and their egalitarianism between the sexes and democratic style of rule.  I don't think we'd be wrong in looking to Jon's story for how wildling culture has affected the POV as well as the wider story.    

I mean, as far as skin changing a bird?  Maybe.  I don't think anything will replace Lady as that spiritual relationship was special (the only thing that will come close is her Dog).  She would need to be exposed to someone who can teach her about being a skin changer or be around an animal long enough to create that bond.  I had this conversation about hawking with @The Weirwoods Eyes  not that long ago who had some good points about that.  Maybe not a falcon, but a perhaps a merlin which is the smallest ("Little Bird") of the birds used in hawking.  Lady was the smallest of the direwolves. They might be small, but they are known to be aggressive hunters that can take down birds as big as themselves.  Let's hope it's a mockingbird.  They are also colloquially known as "pigeon hawks" and just prior to and at the PW Sansa is connected to doves and pigeons (the dove-grey dress, the dove from the pigeon pie that metaphorically "shits" on Tyrion and flies away).  This passage of the hawking with Margaery probably had significance to the next part of her story post-PW.  It comes in the context of Sansa warning Margaery that Joffrey will hurt her if she marries him and to her confusion Marg is pretty confident that he won't.  We know why.  

The peregrine is a type of falcon and it's paired with the heron, which Weirwood eyes noted is a bird of prey that snatches up unsuspecting fish (Tully!).  Falcon = Lysa Arryn and the fish-stealing heron = LF.  It's Lysa that arrives at the Fingers to snatch up her lover and take him back to the Eyrie, her nest.  This is all under the same conversation where we know one side of the marriage is planning on offing the other.  It's just the roles are reversed.  Margaery is also seducing Sansa with promises of marrying Willas and how wonderful her life will be at Highgarden once they spirit her away from the capital.  LF spirits her away and promises her she can get her home back if she marries the next falcon, HtH.  Sansa just isn't an Arryn though, so I doubt the falcon will be the bird that best fits her character.  So with that said, we can see that Sansa's merlin is paired with the three ducks.  I don't wanna go into it here and derail the thread, but I'll just say I think it relates the hedge knight theory in my signature.  (If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, they must be ducks right? :ph34r:).  So I'm not totally certain the bird imagery means she will definitely skin change a bird, but I bet she will skin change something.  I don't know in there's going to be all this leisure time for hawking in TWOW.  I expect the shit will hit the fan fairly fast. 

If not a merlin, there's another possibility of a small but mighty animal:  the bat.  She's been connected to bats in the text, a "wolf with bat wings," the bats in her tummy, her maternal grandmother's Whent heritage, and a reasonable belief her path will intersect with Harrenhal.  Skin changing a bat would be pretty effing metal IMO.                 

I am loving the connections here. I wish I had seen that convo between you and Weirwood Eyes when it was happening. Great finds. 

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

I am living the connections here. I wish I had seen that convo between you and Weirwood Eyes when it was happening. Great finds. 

:agree:

@Blue Eyed Wolf, great post! Love the possibilities w/ the bat, pretty fucking metal indeed! :thumbsup:

Just now, Queen Sansa Stark said:

Sansa warging a bat is very slim to none. She will most likely warg a bird. Birds have been such a recurring theme in her narrative. Birds are a synonymous to Sansa in the same way cats are to Arya. And look what happened with Arya, she ended up warging a cat. If we logically look at the amount of foreshadowing in her chapters Sansa will end up warging a bird. 

Well, I'm not so sure. I think BEW made some very good points, and I find the possibility very interesting. Small nitpick, not Sansa nor anyone else can warg anything other than a wolf. "Warg" applies exclusively to wolves; the word you want here is skinchange. :)

3 hours ago, Queen Sansa Stark said:

They have and also all of her living siblings.  Ravens for Bran and Jon.  Arya as Squab (another type of pigeon) and swans especially (the ugly duckling theme, Swan Lake and water dancing, the beautiful swan-like courtesans of Braavos floating on their barges).  Sansa has been basically called a talking parrot repeating everything she's taught before Little Bird becomes a more affectionate term.  Then she's a dove, which links the two sisters when they are vulnerable to being preyed upon.  Sansa looks at the falcon flying and dreams of freedom.  Doesn't that reflect what she's being offered by marrying HtH?  Become a falcon, an Arryn, and you'll be able to fly home?  Okay I'm not ruling out that she will literally skin change a bird one day, but the bird identities seem to reflect where the sisters are in their own stories.  And I honestly don't see Arya having a reason to literally skin change a swan.  Often it's an identity being thrust upon them and not of their own choice.  Yes Arya spent time with the cat and skin changed it, but Sansa also had an interaction with the same cat:

She ran down a shadowy colonnade and pressed herself against a wall to catch her breath. When something brushed against her leg, she almost jumped out of her skin, but it was only a cat, a ragged black tom with a chewed-off ear. The creature spit at her and leapt away.

Very clever turn of phrase that definitely points to Sansa being able to skin change at some point.  Keep in mind both girls are connected to cats in that their mother is a Cat.  Sansa wanted to call herself Catelyn in her bastard identity, before Petyr named her Alayne Stone.  Arya became Cat of the Canals.  Sansa is the spitting image of Cat, but Arya shares more of her mother's personality.  The cat symbolisms comes up more frequently in Arya's POV, but it's not exclusive to her.  We see her finding the mother cat and her kittens as she's searching for a boat to get herself back to her mother.  So the cat is more than just about skinchanging.  What's very interesting in that above quote for Sansa, is that it pretty much mirrors her meeting the Hound on her way back from the godswood, while she meets the cat going to the godswood.  He comes out of the shadows and scares her, black hair/fur, the missing ear, "spitting" and harsh language.  And while that may seem weird to connect the Hound to a cat, at that time he's still belonging to the lions.  So while, Arya skin changed this cat, I firmly believe Sansa would have skin changed the old blind dog at the Fingers had she been able to spend more time with him.  If this seems all over the place with different animals, it is.  We have many cases of connections to widely different animals and they may or may not be skin changed.  Sometimes they are purely symbolic.  They are not completely exclusive to one character.  I'm never going to rule out that Sansa could skin change a bird, but she came closest to skin changing the dog which she connects to Lady.  She will find something to skin change for sure. 

As for the bat, Arya also has the exact same heritage to bats as Sansa and she is also connected to Harrenhal.  Arya definitely has shades of Batman / Bruce Wayne in her arc.  GRRM is a huge Batman fan.  Sansa has her own Robin sidekick in SR.  There was even an "Ace the Bat Hound" dog sidekick in the comics.  There's also the red-haired sorceress Mad Danelle Lothston connection to bats and Sansa was slandered as using sorcery to kill Joffrey in the same place she's said to have turned into a wolf with bat wings.  There's also a "flying mouse" motif I've discussed before that has connections to the CotF and magic.  CotF are referred to as squirrels by the Giants.  Bran thinks Leaf looks like Arya and Arya has been referred to as a squirrel several times. Crannogmen who are said to be interbred with the CotF can "run on leaves."  There's a squirrel that runs up and down Yggdrasil as a messenger.  The way squirrels flit about effortlessly from tree to tree fit the flying rodent motif.  Bats, fledermaus, or "flying mouse" are part of that motif... and both Sansa and Arya have been called mice.  "A mouse with wings would be a silly sight" says Ser Shadrich, the Mad Mouse, to Sansa.  I was being only semi-serious when I said it would be cool if she skin changed a bat.  Bats could be no more or less metaphoric than any other animal and not meant to be taken literally as skin changing animal.                 

I like to think the hawking scene points toward Sansa and Sweetrobin being a successful hunting pair. If he can keep the support of his lords, he is far more dangerous than any hawk or bat. From his first scenes, he showed the falcon killer instinct; it's his human qualities that need developing. Sansa is in a position to do that for him.

'Her smiles teach the birds to fly, and give dreams to little children.'

And of course, in the snow castle scene, they tore the giant to pieces between them.

On 03/09/2017 at 8:25 PM, Romaine3 said:

@Springwatch all of the Stark children (including Jon Snow) of the current generation possess an element of magic within them. Robb and Grey Wind are both dead, so their magic got snuffed out. Sansa is the only child who lives without a Dire Wolf. We all know that tragic story. In the death of Lady, I believe that Sansa's magic is amplified in a way that has yet to be revealed.

Not sure about powers amplified - not yet - but I agree that warging is a form of magic, and all the Stark children have it. However Sansa is the only one to have her chapters pepppered with the word 'magical', so I'm inclined to think that as her gift is not being channelled towards an animal, it might develop in a different direction. She seems to reach deep into Sandor's psyche, but not at all in the same way Bran skinchanges Hodor. The skinchanging gift is still there, as @Blue-Eyed Wolf has shown above, but it could be drifting.

Deep down, (even though Sansa's chapters are boring to me & I really can't identify with her in all honesty because I am not a female but I empathize with her so that counts for something right?) Sansa's inherent goodness & her core values have remain unchanged in spite of all the awful things that have happened to her thus far. Keeping this in mind, I don't see how GRRM drastically alters her into another version of her dead mother unless he just flat out kills her off and gives her to the others. I don't see that happening because he has put too much time into having her kicked around. She hasn't been completely broken yet by the circumstances she has suffered through, so it seems to me that her strength of character will win out over any dark forces that may try and consume her.

Inherent goodness - yes. It can be hard though to be a good person in evil times - I foresee Sansa facing some awful moral dilemma, and having to compromise with the enemy. It could be the food - it's very likely she will try to feed her people. But in the books history repeats itself (or at least, it doesn't contradict itself), and we have already seen her being mobbed in the food riots. She says, "... I tried to tell them, I had no bread to give them...."

The winter of the Long Night is so terrible that normal humans can't survive, whether they fight or hide. Magical help is needed, therefore - it's the question she asks in the OP's quote: '... who could she pray to?' The Seven don't answer prayers, and maybe the old gods can't, directly. Stannis chose the red hawk, Rhllor. Is there a blue hawk that Sansa could pray to for mercy?

In Mirri's tent there was a wolf dancing/fighting with a burning man - these could be elemental gods, equal and opposite. Would Sansa pray to the wolf? Possibly. Her Winter King ancestors would, and even now it's normal to respect all gods, the old and the new. And there's possible foreshadowing in the blue and white altar she loved in the septry, and Brella's testimony here:

"I'll tell you what I told Lord Tywin. That girl was always praying. She'd go to sept and light her candles like a proper lady, but near every night she went off to the godswood. She's gone back north, she has. That's where her gods are."

AFFC - BRIENNE II

Her gods, but not necessarily the old gods who extend south through the weirwood net, and maybe the Isle of Faces. Her gods could be winter gods.

Add to the fact that she lost her Wolf, so the least GRRM can do for her is give her a mean old Dog.

Sandor keeps her from falling, time after time. Yep, I think she needs him.

Don't you think that Sanda's current arc points to her 'regaining' her Stark identity after she lost it probably as early a GoT? GoT's Sanda worships the Seven, her head is filled with dreams of court and the golden-haired prince and is the only Stark child to lose her Wolf.

By DwD, she is looking for a Heart Tree to pray, building snow replicas of Winterfell and dreaming of returning to Winterfell.

The Starks (at least the ones we've seen) have generally been crappy political players. Sansa will be the one who will break that cycle and 'manipulate' them back into their rightful place I think. In that sense, and if we look at the remaining Stark children as one 'being'; Sansa represents the brains, Arya the hands (assassin), Bran the sixth sense/magical element, and Rickon (assuming he survives of course) the body.

@Blue-Eyed Wolf Sure there is bird imagery in all of the POV Stark characters, but not to the extent that Sansa has. She had been dubbed as a little bird and has been called that almost every chapter in ACOK. A man who has a mockingbird as his personal sigil develops a creepy interest in her. She is currently in a region where there a lot of birds. And at sight of them Sansa thinks to herself what it would be like to fly. She is currently taking care of a child whose nickname is SweetRobin. And as last she may end up marrying Harrold Hardying who is also been called the young falcon. That is a lot of bird imagery. Surely you don't believe that this is a coincidence? Though there is a mention of bats in her narrative it sure does pale in comparison to birds. And honestly the bat imagery probably has little to do with Sansa possibly skin-changing into a bat and more with her possibly inheriting Harrenhal. 

6 hours ago, Pearly said:

Don't you think that Sanda's current arc points to her 'regaining' her Stark identity after she lost it probably as early a GoT? GoT's Sanda worships the Seven, her head is filled with dreams of court and the golden-haired prince and is the only Stark child to lose her Wolf.

I wouldn't say that Sansa lost her Stark identity back in AGOT, but I absolutely believe her getting closer to her Northern roots is an important part in her narrative. All stories come to a full circle and since Sansa started off going South to become Queen I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that she will go back to the North to become Queen once again. 

15 minutes ago, Queen Sansa Stark said:

I wouldn't say that Sansa lost her Stark identity back in AGOT, but I absolutely believe her getting closer to her Northern roots is an important part in her narrative. All stories come to a full circle and since Sansa started off going South to become Queen I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that she will go back to the North to become Queen once again. 

Yes I agree. I didn't mean that she'd lost her Stark identity altogether (that's why I placed regaining in quotation marks) but of all the Stark children (with the exception of Rickon perhaps, who's too young), Sansa always appeared the least 'Starky' to me in GoT. 

It's perhaps ironic (and intentional) that it's only when she 'loses' her Stark name, she manages to find her Stark identity.

1 hour ago, Pearly said:

Yes I agree. I didn't mean that she'd lost her Stark identity altogether (that's why I placed regaining in quotation marks) but of all the Stark children (with the exception of Rickon perhaps, who's too young), Sansa always appeared the least 'Starky' to me in GoT

Sansa is no less of a Stark than, say, Bran for example. In fact they both start off disturbingly similar. Both of them are taken by the southern splendor. Bran wanted to become a knight in the King's guard, Sansa wanted to become queen. Both of them are avid readers - Bran likes horror, Sansa likes romance. Bran looked up to Jaime, Sansa looked up to Cersei. And when both of their dreams are shattered their narrative is about getting closer to their northern roots. The only difference about them is that Bran's story has been mostly about the magical aspect of ASOIAF whereas Sansa's story was strictly about politics.

This assumption that there are special Stark-like characteristics is completely unfounded and it needs to die, quickly. This book series is called ASOIAF not Harry Potter. In order to be Stark you only need to have Stark blood and last time I checked Sansa has Stark blood. 

24 minutes ago, Queen Sansa Stark said:

Sansa is no less of a Stark than, say, Bran for example. In fact they both start off disturbingly similar. Both of them are taken by the southern splendor. Bran wanted to become a knight in the King's guard, Sansa wanted to become queen. Both of them are avid readers - Bran likes horror, Sansa likes romance. Bran looked up to Jaime, Sansa looked up to Cersei. And when both of their dreams are shattered their narrative is about getting closer to their northern roots. The only difference about them is that Bran's story has been mostly about the magical aspect of ASOIAF whereas Sansa's story was strictly about politics.

I never really thought about the parallels between Bran and Sansa in a GoT and yes, now that you point them out they're quite clear. Thank you.

25 minutes ago, Queen Sansa Stark said:

This assumption that there are special Stark-like characteristics is completely unfounded and it needs to die, quickly. This book series is called ASOIAF not Harry Potter. In order to be Stark you only need to have Stark blood and last time I checked Sansa has Stark blood. 

There are Stark-specific characteristics such as the their general features (lean, dark hair, gray eyes); their connections to the dire wolves, their warming abilities, and their implied high-tolerance for cold. Family-specific characteristics exist all across ASOIF and is perhaps one of the cornerstones of the series embodied through the House words, sigils, looks, etc. 

on another note, I don't understand why this offends you. I never said Sansa was not a Stark. What I said was that Sansa, in GoT, seemed less stark (i.e. Northern) and now she is becoming more so. If you don't like the idea, or disagree with it, that's perfectly understandable. I respect your opinion and have learned from it without feeling the need to belittle you for the things I disagreed with. 

20 minutes ago, Pearly said:

There are Stark-specific characteristics such as the their general features (lean, dark hair, gray eyes); their connections to the dire wolves, their warming abilities, and their implied high-tolerance for cold. Family-specific characteristics exist all across ASOIF and is perhaps one of the cornerstones of the series embodied through the House words, sigils, looks, etc. 

on another note, I don't understand why this offends you. I never said Sansa was not a Stark. What I said was that Sansa, in GoT, seemed less stark (i.e. Northern) and now she is becoming more so. If you don't like the idea, or disagree with it, that's perfectly understandable. I respect your opinion and have learned from it without feeling the need to belittle you for the things I disagreed with. 

When I was talking about Stark-specific characteristics I wasn't speaking of physical traits, but personality ones. I should have been more clear. And my apologies for being rude. The reason why the concept of Starkness annoys me is because too often I have seen people use that to justify their dislike for Sansa. The biggest irony of this all is that according to them the character who is most Stark-like is Eddard Stark. 

13 minutes ago, Queen Sansa Stark said:

When I was talking about Stark-specific characteristics I wasn't speaking of physical traits, but personality ones. I should have been more clear. And my apologies for being rude. The reason why the concept of Starkness annoys me is because too often I have seen people use that to justify their dislike for Sansa. The biggest irony of this all is that according to them the character who is most Stark-like is Eddard Stark. 

:cheers:

I'm a big fan of Sansa actually. I think she will be the one to restore the Starks to their rightful place. Again, if I came across as critical of Sansa, then I can understand your ire. I'm often baffled by people who 'hate' Sansa as well. 

Archived