What is the worst small council you can come up with?

Falcon2909

Robert is not a bad economist (or he wasn't bad at appointing one, anyway). GRRM just doesn't know how economics work. The economy under Aerys was supposedly doing great, because at the end of a massive civil war, the Crown's vaults were overflowing with gold. This is then used to bash Robert for supposedly spending so much that the Crown is in debt. Money that the Crown loans to people (what LF does, and the same people Tyrion then allows Joffrey to throw off the walls because some of them wanted to help Stannis in the battle), when LF explicitly made the Crown's income several times more than it was through very simple economics. All that money Robert "wasted"? Loaned or funneled directly into the economy. Like how a government should be spending its money.

On top of the crown's income being increased, public events like tourneys being thrown at apparently greater frequency, and tons of money being loaned out, with increased ties to the world's largest bank to boot, Robert has been throwing money into the Crownlands' economy to the point that the capital city is as wealthy and developed as ever a mere 15 years after Tywin brutaly sacks it in an orgy of murder and pillage. This spending is treated by the fans as a waste of perfectly hoardable money, like that makes any damn sense. The Targaryens by contrast, in 300 years, built a few hundred kilometers of dirt road to connect to the one built by the Storm Kings, and then renamed it the "King's Road". That's the sum total of their investment in their kingdom's infrastructure and economic development.

The worst Master of Coin would be Tywin, probably. That the royal vaults were still filled to the brim with gold while apparently no loans were being given out and none of it was being devoted to infrastructure speaks very poorly about his ability as an economist, as does his policy crippling the trade city of Duskendale in an attempt to boost the status of Lannisport (which is on the wrong fucking side of the continent and so should not be that useful as a trade node). Unless that was Aerys. Tywin also seems to be under the impression that real life works like a C&C game where infinite gold = infinite power, instead of the massive infusion of gold just devaluing it like what happened when the Spaniards started importing shit loads of gold and silver from the New World. To be fair, it seems GRRM agrees with him.

Master of whispers: Hallis Mollen

Master of coin: Illifer the Penniless (I just think that alias is an awesome one for a master of coin)

Grand maester: Cellador

Master of ships: Gylbert Farwynd (buh bye Royal Fleet, off to explore neverland)

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Jaime Lannister. Can't argue with this one. Having a dude known as kingslayer as your personal guard commander is the weirdest choice.

7 hours ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

Hand of the king ; Joffrey Baratheon

Lord of Ships ; Boros   Blount

Lord of Whispers ; Jinglebell

Lord of Coin ; Petyr Baelish

Master of Laws ; Renly Baratheon

Grand Maester ; Walgrave

Commander of the King's Guard IIyn Payne

Why is Walgrave a bad maester?

23 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Master of Whisperers: Ilyn Payne

Master of Coin: Robert Baratheon

Master of Ships: Drogo

Master of Laws: Gregor Clegane

Grand Maester: Ramsay Bolton

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Penny

Hand of the King: Moon Boy for all I know...

Well, there's a meme out there for Game of Thrones saying that Boltons would make good Maesters. Remember 

Spoiler

Sam flaying Jorah to get all the greyscale off?

On Sunday, September 03, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Falcon2909 said:

Whispers - Stannis, would probably kill most of his informants for braking and entertaining.

Coin - Tytos Lannister

Ships - Brandon (burner) Stark

Laws - Robert, would probably forgive anyone without the last name Targ after a few pints.

Grand Maester - Euron 

Lord Commander - Balon Swann

Hand - Joff/Cersi

Master of Whisperers - Ser Dontos Hollard

Master of Coin - Ser Jorah Mormont

Master of Ships - Gendry (electronic visual version)

Master of Laws - Robert Arryn (make the bad men fly!)

Grand Maester - Marwyn the Mage, who sadly seems to relate everything to injured gentalia

Hand of the King - Hizdhar zo Loraq

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard - Ser Meryn Trant

Master of Revels - Stannis Baratheon

• Hand, Master of Whisperers, and Grand Maester: Qyburn.
  • Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Robert Strong.
  • General Hanger-on Without Portfolio: Jaime Lannister.
  • Master of Ships: Empty. We can trust Euron to do any naval stuff, because I'm sure he'd never have a different agenda than the Crown
  • Master of Laws: Empty. Who needs laws?
  • Master of Coin: Empty. Who needs coin? If worst comes to worst, we can just sack one of our own realms to pay off our overdue debts and then immediately borrow new money.
  • Every other position: Empty. Who needs a council?

I'd also leave most of the Lords Paramount in abeyance for years on end to make sure they're governed just as efficiently.

On 9/3/2017 at 9:54 AM, Falcon2909 said:

Master of Whisperers:  Ned Stark

Master of Coin:  Robin Arryn

Master of Ships:  Sam Tarly

Master of Laws:  Cersei Lannister

Grand Maester:  Sandor Clegane

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard:  Petyr Baelish a.k.a. "Ser Petyr the Little"

Hand of the King:  Ser Bronn of the Blackwater

On 9/3/2017 at 1:43 PM, Nihlus said:

Robert is not a bad economist (or he wasn't bad at appointing one, anyway). GRRM just doesn't know how economics work. The economy under Aerys was supposedly doing great, because at the end of a massive civil war, the Crown's vaults were overflowing with gold. This is then used to bash Robert for supposedly spending so much that the Crown is in debt. Money that the Crown loans to people (what LF does, and the same people Tyrion then allows Joffrey to throw off the walls because some of them wanted to help Stannis in the battle), when LF explicitly made the Crown's income several times more than it was through very simple economics. All that money Robert "wasted"? Loaned or funneled directly into the economy. Like how a government should be spending its money.

On top of the crown's income being increased, public events like tourneys being thrown at apparently greater frequency, and tons of money being loaned out, with increased ties to the world's largest bank to boot, Robert has been throwing money into the Crownlands' economy to the point that the capital city is as wealthy and developed as ever a mere 15 years after Tywin brutaly sacks it in an orgy of murder and pillage. This spending is treated by the fans as a waste of perfectly hoardable money, like that makes any damn sense. The Targaryens by contrast, in 300 years, built a few hundred kilometers of dirt road to connect to the one built by the Storm Kings, and then renamed it the "King's Road". That's the sum total of their investment in their kingdom's infrastructure and economic development.

The worst Master of Coin would be Tywin, probably. That the royal vaults were still filled to the brim with gold while apparently no loans were being given out and none of it was being devoted to infrastructure speaks very poorly about his ability as an economist, as does his policy crippling the trade city of Duskendale in an attempt to boost the status of Lannisport (which is on the wrong fucking side of the continent and so should not be that useful as a trade node). Unless that was Aerys. Tywin also seems to be under the impression that real life works like a C&C game where infinite gold = infinite power, instead of the massive infusion of gold just devaluing it like what happened when the Spaniards started importing shit loads of gold and silver from the New World. To be fair, it seems GRRM agrees with him.

This makes me never want to be a writer. I was envying GRRM for his extensive knowledge on warfare and castle architecture bc I've tried to write historical fiction and found however much you think you know you never know enough. But I can learn that- economics? Hell no.

Luckily nobody wants to hear about the economy beyond "Oh no our gold's run out!" "Look, cool shady bankers doing cool shady things!" "Wheeere is Littlefinger getting all this gold?"

53 minutes ago, fairwarging said:

This makes me never want to be a writer. I was envying GRRM for his extensive knowledge on warfare and castle architecture bc I've tried to write historical fiction and found however much you think you know you never know enough. But I can learn that- economics? Hell no.

Luckily nobody wants to hear about the economy beyond "Oh no our gold's run out!" "Look, cool shady bankers doing cool shady things!" "Wheeere is Littlefinger getting all this gold?"

What was  Aragorn's Robert's tax policy?

Archived