The Bittersweet Ending That Must Be

Rhaegar Targaryen's Ghost

10 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I spend way too much time thinking about ASOIF and the characters I care about so can respect wanting to get rid of ASOIF. 

Tell me about it. I actually wish I could focus on something else. :P
But nope, instead I'm getting a Targ-tattoo in afew months.

I have read a lot of comments about this ending.dany dieing with her child, is tragic not bittersweet. so I expect her to survive and her baby (S) - this is a dream of spring, hope growing after the great war. Jon is another matter.  everyone expects him to sacrifice himself as he has always done, but I am not sure. Perhaps he has to guard the realms of men , as a shield for the world of men' and is parted from Dany and his child. I cannot see them ruling together due to the incest bomb but then their might be so many dead, that no one really cares, survival is enough. There  must be some hope, as otherwise they must aswell just lie down for the NK. the bittersweet must be dany and jon not ruling together. The interesting part is the pact made between the WW and the CoF - perhaps this needs to be replicated. Dany wife of the NK?

2 hours ago, hewman said:

Incest wasn't a problem for Aegon and Rhaenys so it shouldn't be a problem for Jon and Dany.

Incest really shouldn't be an issue for ruling together based on the rules of the universe. 

Maybe they decide they don't want to replicate the traditions of the past or something. I can see that.

The problem is once she is pregnant its over since we know Jon won't let his kid be a bastard or grow up without a dad. They haven't established incest as such a terrible thing where Jon would have some one else marry Dany and pretend to be the father so the kid doesn't grow up with that stigma. 

For them not to rule together either one or both has to die or Dany has to not be pregnant. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting example of an in universe description of a bittersweet ending from the Princess and the Queen. Hard to think of a more destructive victory and one that cost way more than it was worth than Aegon II’s... even disregarding the short lived part of it. 

“Yet Aegon’s triumph would prove to be as short-lived as it was bittersweet. Rhaenyra was dead, but her cause had not died with her, and new “black” armies were on the march even as the king returned to the Red Keep. Aegon II would sit the Iron Throne again, but he would never recover from his wounds, would know neither joy nor peace. His restoration would endure for only half a year.”

Personally I have a theory about the Starks and the Others and how they relate; and how that in itself leads to Jaime being TPTWP/AA and how this whole conflict will be solved through democracy - but it's also possible that this story will simply end with everyone dying.

Not the whole world, but all the great houses and nobility. I'm going to use the show material for a second but when you think about all the great houses are dead or dying. The Baratheons are gone, the Tyrells are gone, the Starks have no male heir that isn't a bastard/Targaryen or a weirdo warg; the Lannisters are on their last legs and almost gone and the kingdoms are barely being held together through monarchy. Westeros ushers in a democracy with the death of the last dragons and the lords and ladies that ruled over them for thousands of years - we effectively lose all the characters we were invested in for so much time but the world is better off for it.

Archived