Acrophilia 17: Voyage is over (winner declared)

Dolorous Gabe

ACROPHILIA 17: A Paean of Voyagers Past and Present

WELCOME TO EDITION 17 OF ACROPHILIA

Not too long ago, in a Westerosi outpost not too far away; an ingenious Lady - who was born in a blizzard - formed acronymic puzzles relating to possible secret Targaryens. Soon, a warg of the north discovered these clues and embarked upon a noble quest to identify the possible secret Targaryens alluded to in these markings. Since then, sixteen extraordinary adventures have been undertaken by many-a-boarder upon 16 missions laid down (including The Legend of Game 6 that has yet to be uncovered by avid historians). Now, a new challenge has been set and another batch of voyagers will set sail for the chance of victory. Who will be our pretenders, who will be our champion and how much destruction shall be left in their wake?

Open once more to all, to seasoned campaigners and to green intrepid challengers alike. Come join in the madness!

In this game, participants will be secretly assigned a character from AsoIaF. They will be given some time to create a clue that points to their respective character using a given acronym. Once all the clues have been created and the deadline has passed, the clues will be published on the thread for the players to work out. There will be a common theme that links the characters in each round to solve.

There will be 3 rounds. I will be asking for difficult clues (I may reject those that are too easy) from players because I intend to give a lot more information upon delivery of prelims. You will find out precisely which answers are correct and which answers are incorrect and you will receive advice upon those that are incorrect. There will be a short period of time between rounds to vote for a favourite clue with knowledge of the answer. However, due to my helpfulness on the clues, you will receive no prelim guess at the theme. I may provide a hint or some general advice on the thread if nobody is getting it right.

GAME PLAY

Step 1:  Tell the host how awesome he is.

Step 2:  Receive points for telling the host how awesome he is.

Step 3:  Celebrate receiving points for sucking up to your awesome host.

Disclaimer: Reception of points for telling the host how awesome he is not guaranteed. But please, do feel free to try.

SCORING SYSTEM

Guessing Points: 3 points per correctly guessed clue.

Up to 5 points for theme guess based on closeness.

Author Points: 1 point per favourite clue vote.

SIGNING UP

If you would like to be a voyager in this noble quest to places mapped and unmapped, please send your host – Dolorous Gabe – a PM entitled “Acrophilia 16: [your board name]” and I will place you in the lists and provide you with a ship and crew with which to set sail before winter arrives.

Disclaimer: Provision of ship and crew not guaranteed.

VOYAGERS

1. Julia H

2. Castellan

3. Raisin' Bran

4. Ser Not Appearing

5. jezzie_bell

6. rocksniffer

7. a free shadow

@Julia H. you have been assigned a ship and First Mate. Your ship shall be Lady Olenna and your First Mate shall be Aurane Waters. Waters is on his way to meet with you in White Harbor (he requires large amounts of Lamprey Pie in return).

@Castellan you have been assigned a ship and First Mate. Great news: Gerion Lannister and his ship Laughing Lion have turned up and he is willing to be your First Mate on his ship. He is en-route to meet you at The Arbor (He requires crates of Arbor Gold as thanks).

@Raisin' Bran you have been assigned a ship and First Mate. Notorious pirate Lady Korra has agreed to be your First Mate on her ship Hag's Teeth. She intends to rendezvous with you at Sunspear (she requires large amounts of Dragon Peppers and Dornish Strongwine for this).

Who's next?

6 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I'll take a boat.

I take it I can expect a PM in the near future?

@Ser Not Appearing your ship is Nightflyer. Baelor Blacktyde has agreed to be your First Mate and he is expecting you at Crakehall ASAP. In return he wants some artefacts relating the Faith of The Seven and after completion of your voyage you will serve on his ship at his pleasure for one year.

On 06/09/2017 at 11:10 PM, Raisin' Bran said:

How do these high lords and captains feel about being the first mates aboard their own vessels? I can't help but feel that the ever proud Ironborn Baelor Blacktyde would not like being named first mate.

They are getting something in return for your temporary captaincy. From you, as stated, and from me, unstated (and will remain so).

Edited to add: and of course, by being on the ship and having their crew they can keep an eye on the wellbeing of their ship.

13 minutes ago, jezzie_bell said:

This looks intense, but I'm intrigued

New players always welcome. It is quite intense but very addictive.

If you're interested, check out previous games. If you'd like to have a go, send me a PM titled Acrophilia 17: jezzie_bell

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Contrary to popular belief, I don't bite (on weekdays anyway).

4 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

It is an intriguing game, and as our awesome host says, addictive. If you like puzzles, it's definitely worth a try. 

You may have 3 points.

Disclaimer: these points do not count towards your game total but you may try to use them in a local shop with a monetary value as determined by the shop owner.

1 hour ago, jezzie_bell said:

You all seem hungry for some fresh blood.  :drool:

How long does each round typically take?

A round takes approximately a week. The host will set a deadline based on personal availability but is usually willing to extend if the timeframe doesn't suit someone. With a 3 round game it should theoretically be over in approximately one month from the starting point.

You'll likely get approximately a week to answer the round clues and come up with a clue for the next round. I will give a couple of days between rounds for favourite clue voting.

Now @rocksniffer  where are you brother? Stop running towards Irma and start sending me a PM!

And anyone else who wishes to play? Step right up! Everyone's a winner, bargains galore!

Archived