Tywin et al.

NFL 2017: And Now It Begins!

427 posts in this topic

Well, I think the 'wise' choice - especially in the world where the quarterback is king, and even taking a chance at a QB who might not be great is worth it for most franchises - would have been to give Manning a deal similar to what he got in Denver (basically a 5-year, $100 mil deal where every year past the first is voided potentially), draft Luck, and trade Manning for a boatload of shit. Or don't, let Luck develop and not get kidney injuries, and see how things go. 

It worked out well for Manning, mind you, both monetarily and career-wise, but it was incredibly risky for Indy. If Luck refuses to play for the Colts, if he gets injured, if he ends up not working out - bad idea. And they lost Manning for nothing at all. And built a ton of hate from their own fanbase. That's a special amount of stupidity right there. 

IIRC, Denver didn't have a super awesome OLine when Manning got there either, though it was definitely better. Manning tends to make OLines a lot better than they are. This is true with Brady as well, and it's been one of the bigger knocks against Luck in being able to diagnose plays and make good adjustments on the fly (that was true in college as well). Mostly, it seems incredibly stupid to get rid of an all-time great QB in the NFL for nothing. Regardless of any other information, this seems like a very stupid decision. 

York is a callow moron, but still pretty young, yes? I had my head pretty far up my ass at his age. Niner fans can at least hope he learns on the job.

Irsay and Snyder are garbage people and fucking morons and will never be anything else. Snyder seems to be a worse person and also more of a meddler. Irsay cut Manning and is destroying Luck, but Snyder already destroyed RG3 and alienated Cousins. And for all the stupidity we've seen from the Colts front office, it's hard to compare it with the straight poison in the building with Allen and Cerrato. I think it's gotta be Snyder.

8 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm curious, who do people think is currently the worst owner?

It seems like it would have to be a near tie between Irsay the drug addict and York the dipshit, with Snyder running third?  JJ still pretty crazy, but think his badness has now been eclipsed. Or am I missing some bad owners?

Mike Brown has to be in the conversation. He's run the Bengals for 26 years without a single playoff win, and has retained a HC for 15 years who's 0-7 in the playoffs.

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Mike Brown has to be in the conversation. He's run the Bengals for 26 years without a single playoff win, and has retained a HC for 15 years who's 0-7 in the playoffs.

Man, did I just go brain-dead when I wrote the below in response to the above.  But can you blame me?  Both Orange teams from Ohio, and I bet Cleveland hasn't won a playoff game about as long.  

Damn, that's an impressive run.  The first good Browns team I see will be the first.  I don't count the 10-6 Derek Anderson team.

Edited by Triskan

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah fucking ri....

Wow

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Yeah fucking ri....

Wow

You get used to it.

I feel like the title of Worst Owner can't simply go to an owner that's overseen a lot of mediocrity. It has to go to a truly vile person. 

Anywell, who's ready for the first of many truly awful Thursday night games?

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Anywell, who's ready for the first of many truly awful Thursday night games?

DON'T FORGET THE RETURN OF COLOR RUSH, BITCHES!

I'm trying to convince myself that Dalton is going to bounce back from last weeks horror show.  I assumed that Houston's D-line was good, but they had zero sacks against the Jags and gave up 155 yards rushing.  Is the Jag's O-line that improved from last year and that much better than the Bengal's O-line?  If the Bengal's O-line can perform about as well as the Jag's O-line, Dalton should have enough time to throw and be OK.  They should be able to put some points on the board, and with how bad the Texan's offense will likely be, the Bengal's should have plenty of opportunities to score.

1 minute ago, Mudguard said:

I'm trying to convince myself that Dalton is going to bounce back from last weeks horror show.  I assumed that Houston's D-line was good, but they had zero sacks against the Jags and gave up 155 yards rushing.  Is the Jag's O-line that improved from last year and that much better than the Bengal's O-line?  If the Bengal's O-line can perform about as well as the Jag's O-line, Dalton should have enough time to throw and be OK.  They should be able to put some points on the board, and with how bad the Texan's offense will likely be, the Bengal's should have plenty of opportunities to score.

The Ravens weren't exactly tearing up and down the field themselves. The Bengals got plenty of chances, Dalton just pissed them all away.

13 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The Ravens weren't exactly tearing up and down the field themselves. The Bengals got plenty of chances, Dalton just pissed them all away.

If Houston can put some pressure on Dalton, he's going to have another bad game.  

Both teams have bad offensive lines.  The Texans gave up 10 sacks to the Jags.  Could be a real ugly game.

I swear to god after Adam Jones' long punt return my mental dialogue went:

Nice, I'd love to see the Texans lose to the Browns!

Oh, Andy Dalton. That's right, Deshawn Watson is the Texans' QB...

Wait, isn't Kizer the QB of the Browns?

Oh, it's the Bengals?

Now I'm bored.

Deshawn with the slowest most exciting long TD run I've ever seen 2 plays after getting brain fucked by Geno Atkins!

Watson can run.  Now he just needs to learn to throw and not completely fall apart when he's pressured and he'll have a shot at being a good QB!

I was waiting for a defender to get him and just nobody did. At least this game has a fucking pulse now.