NFL 2017: And Now It Begins!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hmm, deflection much? Are there any other defense mechanisms that you use on a regular basis? We might be able to make some major breakthroughs here if we can give it some time.

*begins writing stuff on my pad*

Look, sometimes a Spider 2 Y Banana is just a Spider 2 Y Banana.

22 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Did you read the section immediately after what you quoted?  Because i specifically mention that the 2010 and 2011 defenses were very bad and that the 2013 defense was below average (20th).   

I thought I had but I must have missed that part.  But I also wanted to bring up the 2001 team which - although it improved down the stretch- was by-in-large not a great defensive team.  

10 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

How could you say this?! Some things just shouldn't be joked about.

I need you to know I'm not fucking around here. I'll do it, I swear to fucking god. And I'll put my Star Wars trilogy VHS tapes in the blender for a dessert shake.

We need to talk about the elephant in the room, that being Tom Brady is an old man who looked old, and no amount of cheating, be it steroids, taping opponents’ walkthroughs, deflating balls or hair plugs is going to fix that.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

We need to talk about the elephant in the room, that being Tom Brady is an old man who looked old, and no amount of cheating, be it steroids, taping opponents’ walkthroughs, deflating balls or hair plugs is going to fix that.

Is this a bit? He didn't play great, but he looked fine to me

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah, there were a few bad throws, but it is waay too early to be hitting the panic button.  Brady will be back to himself against the Saints defense in week 2.  The question is whether the Patriots defense can stop Brees at all, or if Brady needs to put up 38+ to win. 

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

I thought I had but I must have missed that part.  But I also wanted to bring up the 2001 team which - although it improved down the stretch- was by-in-large not a great defensive team.  

Yeah, the 2001 thing is interesting, but really kinda questionable on FO's part.  That team was really solid defensively in every game I saw of them.  I have to assume they were really bad defensively the first half of the season; it's not like I was following New England closely at that point. 

Keep in mind that the Chiefs bailed them out with about 130 yards in idiotic penalties. That being said, as has been true throughout the entirety of the Pats run, they play in a division that offers them zero resistance. They'll face off against bottom 3rd QBs in every divisional game and will easily make the playoffs. Once they are there, it only takes 3 in a row to win it all. So while this looks like it may not be one of their better teams, they'll still be in it til the end.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

No bit, no bit. You’re the bit.

ETA:

In all seriousness, father time is undefeated, and when it goes, it goes fast. Just look at Farve. In 2009 he came close to winning the MVP and he looked god awful the following year. Brady isn’t where Farve was, but he didn’t look sharp at all. Have you ever heard of Brady going 16/36?

16 minutes ago, sperry said:

Keep in mind that the Chiefs bailed them out with about 130 yards in idiotic penalties. 

And they seemed to come time and time again right when the Pats needed to be bailed out. It’s almost like it was a rigged system. Very bad stuff.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, the 2001 thing is interesting, but really kinda questionable on FO's part.  That team was really solid defensively in every game I saw of them.  I have to assume they were really bad defensively the first half of the season; it's not like I was following New England closely at that point. 

That's my understanding; I thought that since that Rams loss during the regular season, no team was playing better football.  I believe that was giving that D time to gel.  

54 minutes ago, sperry said:

Keep in mind that the Chiefs bailed them out with about 130 yards in idiotic penalties. 

I don't know how "idiotic" the penalties were.  I think the Chiefs were doing whatever it took to win and, basically, were committing all those penalties under the assumption that the refs could not keep up (ie the "Ravens" strategy).  I am not complaining, mind you- Pats got dinged with a few penalties as well and it was deserved.  I just think the Chiefs were out there doing what they had to.  

7 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

That's my understanding; I thought that since that Rams loss during the regular season, no team was playing better football.  I believe that was giving that D time to gel.  

I don't know how "idiotic" the penalties were.  I think the Chiefs were doing whatever it took to win and, basically, were committing all those penalties under the assumption that the refs could not keep up (ie the "Ravens" strategy).  I am not complaining, mind you- Pats got dinged with a few penalties as well and it was deserved.  I just think the Chiefs were out there doing what they had to.  

Their penalties were a combination of blatant PIs and holds, and stupid personal fouls. None of those are ever a sound strategy.

NFL ratings down 13% for the opener. This while college football ratings are up, so it's not a football thing. We know the owners have no moral compass, but wondering if this stuff will finally lead to Goodell being fired.

Probably not though. NFL owners are not a particularly bright bunch. The whole league are fucking morons who inherited teams, like the Rooneys, Maras, Irsay, etc. or just old bags who aren't in touch with young people, like Jones and Kraft. Not enough smart folks who made their money recently to get them pointed in the right direction, a la the NBA.

Come to think of it, their extremely incompetent ownership group has got to be the biggest problem facing the league. Can you imagine a company with annual revenues of $14 billion dollars and a total market capitalization of like $75 billion being run by this shitshow of octogenarians and fuck up 60 year old trust fund babies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_owners ?  The only thing they can hope for is that as these clowns die off their kids fight over the teams and end up selling them.

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

But KC's offense is not a fearful unit.  The Andy Reid era has been typified with reliable running, few turnovers and strong tight end play.  It has never been a quick strike offense or capable of winning a shootout.  Until last night.  The question is whether the KC offense has improved, NE's defense has regressed, or if it was just a bad night/matchup and everything will be fine.

Remember how New England somehow failed to deal with the Wildcat that one week, and got crushed by Miami running all over them and lost 38-13?

I suspect the triple option with Kelce is a lot like that. 

21 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not sure if there's any advantage for him to serve those 6 games next season as opposed to this one.

This might not be a repeat of the Brady case.

Plus there's been the whole Kia Roberts issue. http://deadspin.com/roger-goodell-was-told-lead-investigator-didnt-think-ev-1798702514

eta: The judge actually named her in the findings...

13 minutes ago, Trebla said:

This might not be a repeat of the Brady case.

Plus there's been the whole Kia Roberts issue. http://deadspin.com/roger-goodell-was-told-lead-investigator-didnt-think-ev-1798702514

eta: The judge actually named her in the findings...

I don't see how any of that matters. You had legal reasoning behind the first judges decision to dismiss Brady's suspension. The CBA hasn't changed. If Goodell wants to levy the suspension, he gets to levy the suspension.

Archived