Stay safe in the Caribbean, Florida, and the southeast coast -- Irma

Ormond

Eye of the storm is directly west of us now (slightly northwest actually) so we're feeling what should be the peak of it for us in Broward/Palm Beach County. Getting some gusts up to 80mph. Not bad all things considered. 

Also good to see that the storm has weakened some. It was projected to be a cat 4 the whole way up the coast almost last night but it dropped to a 2 a few hours ago. Even still, the west coast is getting pummeled right now. Not to mention Miami and the Keys :(

We lost power a few hours ago. Apart from that things are alright by me. 

While my husband and I are waiting for this thing to pass over I'm caring for my dog that woke up paralyzed last Thursday.  The vet had him on prednisone and muscle relaxers.  I took him in for a check on Friday just before the storm hits.  Their office will be closed from Saturday through Wednesday.  Well he wasn't that impressed with his little bit of leg movement so he doubled his dosage of the prednisone.  By Friday night he's just drinking and not eating.  Saturday he's become extremely lethargic, like dead weight.  Shallow, slow breaths through his mouth.  Inner eyelid half covering his eyes.  Will only take water with a syringe and he moves his mouth so poorly he can't eat, even to take his pill.  I called the university emergency vet hospital in Gainesville this morning freaking out.  At a 2 hour drive there's no way I can get there and back with the storm.  I talked to a vet on the phone who told me to stop all medications and just give him water.  Then as soon as its safe to drive up.  Until the storm is passed, we're stuck and can't do anything for him. The latest projections for my area are encouraging, but this is gut wrenching.  :(

58 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Just saw a video of people walking out onto the dried up beaches where the storm has pulled water out.  So stupid, because soon all that water will be coming right back.  

Yup, more dangerous than walking the Broomway as there is no good way to tell when the water will be back.

2 hours ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

While my husband and I are waiting for this thing to pass over I'm caring for my dog that woke up paralyzed last Thursday.  The vet had him on prednisone and muscle relaxers.  I took him in for a check on Friday just before the storm hits.  Their office will be closed from Saturday through Wednesday.  Well he wasn't that impressed with his little bit of leg movement so he doubled his dosage of the prednisone.  By Friday night he's just drinking and not eating.  Saturday he's become extremely lethargic, like dead weight.  Shallow, slow breaths through his mouth.  Inner eyelid half covering his eyes.  Will only take water with a syringe and he moves his mouth so poorly he can't eat, even to take his pill.  I called the university emergency vet hospital in Gainesville this morning freaking out.  At a 2 hour drive there's no way I can get there and back with the storm.  I talked to a vet on the phone who told me to stop all medications and just give him water.  Then as soon as its safe to drive up.  Until the storm is passed, we're stuck and can't do anything for him. The latest projections for my area are encouraging, but this is gut wrenching.  :(

That's awful. I hope your dog will be OK :(

It looks like all boarders have made it through the storm so far (Monday morning) since landfall yesterday. Be safe if you are in northern Florida, Carolinas and Georgia.

As a side note, I think we have had enough footage for this year of newscasters standing in hurricane force winds.

Jose churning around south of Bermuda, he is about to do a 360 degree loop and head towards Bahamas, but forecast to move north-west between here Bda and Carolinas.

Series of waves lined up to parade off the coast of Africa - the season has plenty of time left to throw us another belter.

Other than losing power my parents were fine in Gainesville.  My sister (who's with my parents) was very worried yesterday about her house near the coast in the Tampa area, hopefully its move inland and only 2-4 ft storm surge means it'll be ok.

All is well here apart from losing power. We headed over to my grandparents house last night after the wind died down a bit as they still have electricity and it was getting hot as hell in the house. Now all the cousins and aunts and uncles are coming here as well to stay for a few days, thankfully I've got an air mattress :P

Some minor damage to the house. Lost some roof tiles, the patio screen is torn up but apart from that we're good. Dodged a bullet once again. 

Thank the Good Lordessa, the people about whom I have so concerned in Florida survived safely, and homes, so far, appear relatively OK.

Not so in Cuba.  In Cuba our people are all OK and safe, but many have lost their homes to flood and wind (though their possessions, like their pets and themselves, were all protected in shelters). There was a period in which el Malecon disappeared under water, with waves over 36 feet high.  In Puerto Rico, some of our people are taking supplies to the nearly totally destroyed neighboring islands.

11 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

So I have a question. How can people hear "increased ocean temperatures increase the intensity of hurricanes" but apparently get from that "hurricanes didn't exist before global warming"?

Who has said "Hurricanes didn't exist before Global Warming"?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Who has said "Hurricanes didn't exist before Global Warming"?

No one, but a whole bunch of people are under the impression that that's what's being said when people talk about the effect Global Warming has on them.

It seems to be the equivalent to "climate has changed before" as a shitty excuse to ignore the human factor.

Archived