SUBURRA: The Series (Netflix)

AncalagonTheBlack

Airs October 6.

Church. Politics. Crime. Three guys, hungry for money and power, fight to get their piece of Rome.

The show is a crime thriller set primarily in Rome that mixes in elements of the Catholic Church, the government and organized crime. The action will take place in New York, London and Italy.

A prequel to Stefano Sollima’s “Suburra,” Netflix’s “Suburra, the Series,” written by Daniele Cesarano and Barbara Petroni, world premiered at the Venice Film Festival ahead of its launch on the streaming service Oct. 6.

Excellent.

I got confused among the Italian grit crime offerings (which aren't really like the Sicilian Commissario Montalbano episodes based on a book series, for instance) but I did indeed see the Suburra movie on netflix of course, and liked it very much, as it showed the corruption nexus of Italian politics, the Roman Church and outright criminals.  Dah.

Loved the movie. Can't wait for this to come out. The young versus old clan rivalry is like a carbon copy of the Gomorrah storyline. I wonder if this is because both storylines are based on the same events or if this a common problem with Camorra clans in Italy.

An older article, but interesting. It may be a bit spoilery if one hasn't seen the film. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ppvp5m/are-film-representations-of-the-italian-mafia-realistic-suburra

Also interesting what Michele Placido has to say about working with Netflix and his upcoming Bad Bankers: http://variety.com/2017/tv/global/michele-placido-on-netflixs-suburra-and-his-next-project-bad-bankers-exclusive-1202546372/

27 minutes ago, Astromech said:

An older article, but interesting. It may be a bit spoilery if one hasn't seen the film. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ppvp5m/are-film-representations-of-the-italian-mafia-realistic-suburra

Also interesting what Michele Placido has to say about working with Netflix and his upcoming Bad Bankers: http://variety.com/2017/tv/global/michele-placido-on-netflixs-suburra-and-his-next-project-bad-bankers-exclusive-1202546372/

Interesting. The director of Gomorrah the TV series and Suburra is teaming up with Taylor Sheridan to make the sequel to Sicario. How did I not know that?

20 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Interesting. The director of Gomorrah the TV series and Suburra is teaming up with Taylor Sheridan to make the sequel to Sicario. How did I not know that?

Yeah wasn't into it at all when it was first announced but I bet it's gonna be great. Benicios character has tons of potential

• 5 weeks later...

I started to watch the series.  Only through one episode so far.  It grabs you immediately.  I'm a little disappointed that it is a prequel to the film.  I loved the end of the film, and wanted to know so much  what happens after that final scene!

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

I started to watch the series.  Only through one episode so far.  It grabs you immediately.  I'm a little disappointed that it is a prequel to the film.  I loved the end of the film, and wanted to know so much  what happens after that final scene!

Completely agree about that. Didn’t realize it was a prequel till I watched the first ep and while it was pretty damn cool seeing some of the great characters from the movie again it kind of takes away from the tension knowing how they end up. 

Only watched the first two episodes, but

Spoiler

I haven't been that interested in the blackmail arc. Aureliano, Spadino and Lele cooperating doesn't work for me. They fall into the plot much too conveniently. And, despite them supposedly all being antagonistic to one another, they seem to be getting along much too easily. It simply isn't clicking for me yet. I much prefer Samurai and Cinaglia's scenes. Or the main three's scenes with their family: Aureliano and his sister, Spadino and Manfredi.

11 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Completely agree about that. Didn’t realize it was a prequel till I watched the first ep and while it was pretty damn cool seeing some of the great characters from the movie again it kind of takes away from the tension knowing how they end up. 

I notice your name, Consul Mark Anthony!  You must receive some gratification from this series' location in your ancient Suburra stomping grounds, where even in those ancient times they drank  :cheers: -- yay!

20 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Only watched the first two episodes, but

Hide contents

I haven't been that interested in the blackmail arc. Aureliano, Spadino and Lele cooperating doesn't work for me. They fall into the plot much too conveniently. And, despite them supposedly all being antagonistic to one another, they seem to be getting along much too easily. It simply isn't clicking for me yet. I much prefer Samurai and Cinaglia's scenes. Or the main three's scenes with their family: Aureliano and his sister, Spadino and Manfredi.

Spoiler

It starts to click though, and it's pretty cool.  At least it did for me, just about half way, toward end, of the third episode, when I was thinking to myself, "I don't find these three youngsters at all interesting."  Suddenly they were.  I'm not finished yet, but I am guessing that slower build up was necessary so that we can see how these fellows somehow, who don't trust anyone, come to depend on each other, through what they have experienced together.

23 hours ago, Zorral said:

I notice your name, Consul Mark Anthony!  You must receive some gratification from this series' location in your ancient Suburra stomping grounds, where even in those ancient times they drank  :cheers: -- yay!

Not much has changed in Rome has it :D 

the actor for Samurai is different on the show right? Wish they could have gotten the same dude but the new guy does a decent enough job. Actor of Number 8 is fucking awesome imo

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Not much has changed in Rome has it :D 

the actor for Samurai is different on the show right? Wish they could have gotten the same dude but the new guy does a decent enough job. Actor of Number 8 is fucking awesome imo

Yah -- Samurai looks so much like the actor who played the old kingpin in the second season of Gommorah -- I sometimes get confused as to which series I'm watching.

Ignore, the extra spoiler tags. I read an article that compared Samurai to

Spoiler

Slugworth from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

and now I can't unsee it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Archived