SUBURRA: The Series (Netflix)

AncalagonTheBlack

I'm up to episode 9.  This thing with shoes?  The cap, that I get.  Shoes?  Shoes do matter, I'm the last person to think they don't.  Italy designs and fabricates the finest shoes.  Still, I'm wondering what I'm missing about the frequent commentary about shoes. :D

10 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Only on episode three but This show really makes me hate #8 for 

movie spoilers

Hide contents

killing Spadino

kinda wish I would’ve held off on watching the movie the other day and waited till I finished the show.

This is the problem I'm having while watching the show. I loved the movie and can't help but compare the film and series. Sadly, the series, so far, is coming up short. I still find it hard to believe Lele, Aureliano and Spadino are working together.

23 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I still find it hard to believe Aureliano and Spadino are working together.

I do as well. I also think Samurai is maybe a little too involved. But I’m still enjoying the fuck out of this. Sollima and the M83 ost elevate the movie a bit but this is a worthy prequel 

Finished watching.  Elements were somewhat predictable by the time we get to the later episodes.  In fact there is one of them I predicted to self just about at the first ep.  There were also elements that bothered me such as how easily these punk ass nobodies were able to get into such protected and surveyed etc. spaces, that seemed not realistic, despite of course punk ass assholes' profession includes breaking and entering. But really, the home of a monsignor who is assigned to the Vatican, etc.?  Such sort of question kinda bothered me.  Which is why I don't think the series one lived up to either what Gommorah has accomplished with writing and acting and directing in both series, or Suburra's series one.

However, if there's another series / season, I'll watch it and hope for something better, particularly with the Contessa and Sara.

Btw, have we ever seen anything more over the top of tasteless and suffocating than the Gypsy honeymoon suite?  I'd do anything to get out of that myself!

All in all, to me, Gommorah is a superior effort by several points.

But I sure will watch series / season 2.  Will have to rewatch the film.

It was entertaining enough for me. Falls short of the film, which, for as complicated as it may have been, benefitted from a shorter duration. 10 episodes was too much for the series. Some arcs or developments in the series seemed to be added simply to fill 10 episodes. It also seemed to rehash scenes from the film which sometimes left me wondering if this was a prequel to the film or an adaptation. Aureliano, Lele and Spadino as partners never worked for me. I found it too convenient and unbelievable. The best parts of the series were Aureliano and Samurai, who was a shell of the film's Samurai.

Damn, that sounds a bit more negative than intended. Maybe a 7/10 at most for me.

Bit of a shame to hear it's not as good as the Suburra film ( or maybe the Gomorrah show as well) but even though I'm still looking forward to it, I had this feeling already that it wouldn't be as good as the sublime film. Hard to replicate as well without certain standout actors.

Movie/Show spoilers

so is this even a prequel? Cause I remember Aurelianos dad being mentioned as still being alive and living “across the atlantic” in the film but in the show he is killed. Which makes me re-examine the show as it’s own separate thing with some of the same characters as the movie but not a bonafide prequel and honestly that makes me enjoy it more.

17 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Movie/Show spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

so is this even a prequel? Cause I remember Aurelianos dad being mentioned as still being alive and living “across the atlantic” in the film but in the show he is killed. Which makes me re-examine the show as it’s own separate thing with some of the same characters as the movie but not a bonafide prequel and honestly that makes me enjoy it more.

I've been leaning towards accepting both the film and series as their own separate thing. It makes me enjoy the series more than I otherwise would. I still prefer the film.

21 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Movie/Show spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

I thought Aureliano's father was dead in the film. Don't recall anything about him being across the Atlantic.

• 1 month later...

I've watched the first season over the last two weeks.

I felt it started rather slowly and I didn't feel invested over the first few eps. It starts to get going as of episode 5 and eventually I would say, it's a pretty good show, worth seeing. It's clearly not as good as the film and yet some of the characters are interesting and I'd watch a second season. Calling the sister Livia immediately made me think of Livia Soprano.

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I've watched the first season over the last two weeks.

I felt it started rather slowly and I didn't feel invested over the first few eps. It starts to get going as of episode 5 and eventually I would say, it's a pretty good show, worth seeing. It's clearly not as good as the film and yet some of the characters are interesting and I'd watch a second season. Calling the sister Livia immediately made me think of Livia Soprano.

I immediately thought of Emperor Augustus's wife, Empress Livia, grandmother of Caligula.

Ha!  I have the novel, Suburra, from which the series was made.  It's not much like the series at all.  For one thing, we have heroic Roman cops, which to the best of my recollection aren't really in the series at all -- the kid's dead dad, which is the wannbe drug slinger son's fault. Hardly heroic.  But next season?

The novel is good.  One of the co-author has written two other novels, and he's also an essayist, a screen writer and -- a judge! on the circuit court of Rome!  The other is a journalist - staff writer for an Italian daily newspaper.

Oddly, in many ways, what it reminds me of is Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan quartet of novels that follows two women over the decades from childhood into late womanhood.  This includes the way the characters are all listed and grouped at the front of the book, telling us who they are and their relationships with other.  Maybe that's how Italian publishers do it -- but it's useful to USian readers such as myself.

• 7 months later...

So I dropped the show when it first released but have now resumed and am in the middle of the season. I'm enjoying it well enough and didn't notice the "trio cooperation" that some of you mentioned until now. I do agree now that it's been pointed out but I'm more interested in the story progression so I don't really see it as a problem. What's been far more of a problem for me is:

1. This being a prequel where we know the fates of some of these characters (they don't die or someone else will probably die because the rival character is in the movie). I also agree that the story and it's relationship to the movie can get a little confusing at times. I'm very curious what the experience would be like if the series was watched first instead of the movie.

2. The opening scene consistently being a scene from the episode's climax is very unnecessary and detrimental. We already know too much about the future of these characters and the story and this.... tactic is not necessary for plot progression, viewer retention or entertainment.

I still like it overall. The movie is better (so far) and it doesn't come close to Gomorrah the series but those are high bars and the series thus far has been entertaining enough.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I'm an Italian guy, if you liked Suburra you should read the books that are written by a magistrate who investigated these facts and by a journalist (Suburra and Romanzo Criminale) .. also on September 12 Netflix releases a movie about the tragic story of Stefano Cucchi that will be interpreted by Alessandro Borghi (Aureliano)

Archived