Noble House scenario – How would you act?

devilish

Role: King Aerys II Targeryan
Timeline:  At the beginning of Robert’s rebellion

My tactics

a-    Order Prince Rhaegar to return to KL immediately. He must bring Lyanna with him. Failure in doing so might mean that he’ll end up disowned and sent to the wall.  

b-    Re-assure Doran that Elia will be safe. However he needs to raise an army immediately to defend the crown.

c-    Appoint Mace as master of coin. Randyll Tarly is appointed as HOTK. Promise Randyll Tarly more lands and titles if he wins the war. I’d congratulate Mace for his wife’s pregnancy. Hopefully his wife will produce a girl. She’ll be the perfect partner for baby Aegon once he comes to age. 

d-    Send ravens to Walder Frey. Promise him the neck if he closes the twins to the Northern army. The idea of being the LP of the neck and the twins will be music to Walder’s ears. 

e-    Send Varys to Braavos with the task of hiring the faceless men. Their target? Jon Arryn.  If they manage to kill him then the Vale will go in chaos as Lords will fight one another to become his heir. This will suits me fine as it will halt the Vale’s advance.

f-    Send ravens to House Royce. If they bend the knee and fight at my side then I will appoint them Warden of the East and Lords of the Eyrie.

g-    Send ravens to Tywin Lannister. What happened between us was regrettable however the crown is ready to make amends. After the war is over, Jamie will be released from the KG. If Tywin wishes, Jamie will be married off to Rhaenys once she becomes of age. Meanwhile I’ll tell him that Im planning to give Storm’s end and the Stormlands to Viserys. Cersei would be the perfect bride for the prince + the new LP of the Stormlands.  Hopefully Tywin will agree to these generous terms and join the war on my side. However I’d settle for his neutrality.  

h-    Send ravens to the Greyjoys. If they successfully invade the Riverlands then Riverrun will be theirs to keep. The IR will be tasked to hit the left side of the Riverlands. Meanwhile the much bigger Reach army will hit the eastern side, securing the region before Lord Arryn can come to their aid. 

i-    Meanwhile the crownlands army lead by Barristan Selmy and Sir Arthur Dayne march in the Stormlands to assist Connington and the royalists. They are joined by the Dornish army who should overwhelm Robert’s small army forcing him to surrender. If Robert manages to whizzle himself North then they will be tasked to follow him. 

j-    Once the Vale and the Riverlands are crushed, Hoster and Lyanna are sent to the twins. The terms are pretty simple. Ned can either bend the knee + swear fealty or these hostages will end up losing their heads. If Lyanna is pregnant then ensure Ned that he will be legitimised and he will be treated according to his rank. In time Lyanna will be married off to a Crownlands Lord and her son will be given lands and titles of his own. 

If I suddenly found myself in the body of Aerys at the beginning of Robert's Rebellion? But it's too late to spare the Starks from getting killed?

If that's the case, I would bring Rhaegar home as soon as possible, in chains if necessary. I would execute him and send his head to Robert Baratheon as proof. I would then immediately announce my abdication and give the throne to Prince Viserys. Then I would throw myself from the tallest tower in the Red Keep.

In the situation given, I am completely, utterly, and totally insane, so...I would call for a Great Council to discuss the succession. Everyone attends, no exceptions. Not feeling well? Tough. On your deathbed? Have someone carry you. Then once everyone was assembled, I would blow up the city. Problems solved. 

Varys of course escaped so he can help the surviving nobles start a new government, probably around that worthless son of mine who was too busy playing with his new toy to bother showing up, or that half-Dornish grandson who luckily got my good looks.

8 hours ago, elder brother jonothor dar said:

Giving the Freys the neck is like giving the Vale the mountain clans or the north the wildlings - empty titles they can't enforce.

You seriously want to establish the ironborn on the main land?

The Reach becomes more powerful

The Lannisters become more powerful

A-    Walder has proven himself as a person who got the tendency to bite more then he can chew. So I can’t think of him refusing that offer. Being LP and having a bigger stretch of land under his domain would mean he can seal more advantageous alliances through marriages. Also the Freys are married into the Lannister family so they will get support if they need it. Considering that the North can easily strip him from his lands then I guess it would be within Walder’s interest to turn Moat Cailin into a heap of stones. Which means, that the biggest chokepoint in Westerosi history will be gone forever

B-    I can understand your point of view regarding the Greatjoys. However, I don’t share that opinion. The Greatjoys rule an arid land which is poor in terms of natural resources. The IR can be devastating at sea but on land they are relatively weak. If the king decides to give them lands and titles on the mainland then their standard of living will definitely improve. However, they will be pressured to stay in line for the simple reason that these lands can easily be stripped away from them. Its basically what happened to Robb a generation later. He became the king of the North and the Riverlands which meant that his domain grew significantly. There again, such obligation made him weaker as he was trapped South to defend his new lands

C-    The Lannisters and the Tyrells would grow significantly strong but same can be said about the Targs. Viserys Targeryan would be appointed LP of the Stormlands. He will marry Cersei which means the Lannisters will be bound by blood to protect him. Rhaegar on the other hand will one day inherit the Crownlands. He’s married to Elia Martell and his son will one day marry Margaery Tyrell (she isn’t born yet but we all know that Ms Tyrell’s pregnancy will end up with a girl). The king will also keep Lyanna as ‘guest’ which means that Ned will stay in line. Not to forget the Freys, the Greatjoys and the Royces who would see their lands increase under Aerys and would therefore be extremely grateful towards their king.  

• 2 weeks later...

Given that Jon Arryn has raised his banners, with both the Lords of the North and the Stormlands with him, it's a massive threat to my rule. 

I attaint Ned, Jon and Robert. Offering the lordships of the vale, north and storms end to their more loyal banner men will create havoc in those regions, or at least buy time for me to gather the rest of my forces. Send out the Royal Navy to cut off Gull town, and prevent Ned or Rob going back home to call thier banners.

I summon Rhaegar and Tywin, offering Viserys for Ceresi. I need my Hand back, as I've bollocks up my own attempts to reign. 

Summon sellswords with my overflowing treasury. The golden company might be interest to hear that there will be lordships and lands on offer in Westeros. 

8 hours ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

Summon sellswords with my overflowing treasury. The golden company might be interest to hear that there will be lordships and lands on offer in Westeros. 

I am sure the golden company would be interested in joining the war, they are the original Targ usurpers and are keen to come home.  Give them enough gold they might brake their current contract, who knows once they do they might stay loyal to the mad king.

I attaint Ned, Jon and Robert. Offering the lordships of the vale, north and storms end to their more loyal banner men will create havoc in those regions, or at least buy time for me to gather the rest of my forces. Send out the Royal Navy 

They are usurpers those who would fight them have done so and been beaten, the rest are loyal or smart enough to know you do not start a war with your LP after he has called his banners, it's suicidal.  What are you doing with your navy?

summon Rhaegar and Tywin, offering Viserys for Ceresi. I need my Hand back, as I've bollocks up my own attempts to reign.

Might work might not Tywin has ignored all summons so far a 2nd son may tempt him or he could just sit it out.

Archived