Why didn't Tywin have Tyrion killed?

Falcon2909

Some very interesting thoughts in this thread!

Why not a maester then? And why we are at it - the same question applies to Randyl Tarly.

Why was Samwell not shunted into the Citadel as well? Sending a son to the Citadel is some sort of stigma? To my XXth century eyes - if a son evidently is not suited to riding and waving a sword about, is gasp! - a nerd and not a jock - then what's the problem with "disinheriting" him by sending him to Oldtown?

58 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

Some very interesting thoughts in this thread!

Why not a maester then? And why we are at it - the same question applies to Randyl Tarly.

Why was Samwell not shunted into the Citadel as well? Sending a son to the Citadel is some sort of stigma? To my XXth century eyes - if a son evidently is not suited to riding and waving a sword about, is gasp! - a nerd and not a jock - then what's the problem with "disinheriting" him by sending him to Oldtown?

Pride again.

As I said earlier, Tywin didn't want the realm to know he was ashamed of Tyrion. If he sent him to the Citadel, people would laugh at the thought of *Tywin Lannister's* son being a servant to other Lords. I'd imagine more than a few would actually request him as their Maester as a way of getting back at Tywin for slights against them, real and perceived.

With Randyll, I'd say there's some similarities but I also think he doesn't respect the Citadel or the pursuit of knowledge at all. Tywin was hardly parent of the year but he never seemed to have an issue with Tyrion reading. Randyll took Sam's love of books as a personal insult and, crucially, he saw it as womanly and soft. To him a man should be fighting.

So, essentially, I think Tywin that respects the Citadel but not enough to send HIS son, even the son he hates, there, while Randyll doesn't respect them at all and probably looks down on them as being less than men, just as he looks down on Brienne for not acting like a woman.

I wonder if part of Tywin's reluctance to harm Tyrion was born from Gemma's comments that put her in a multi-year doghouse.  Tywin resents Tyrion for being the most mentally capable of his children, but also knows Tyrion's value.  He might have shit all over Tyrion in private, but sending Tyrion to serve as Hand in his stead was not the sort of rash or sentimental decision that Tywin would ever make.  And upon assuming the Handship himself, Tywin still placed Tyrion as Master of Coin, a Small Council position where Tyrion's vast intelligence would have been of use. 

I really do think Tywin saw Winterfell as a reward for Tyrion, in some weird fucked-up way.  Tywin would never allow himself to be personally shamed by having Tyrion inherit Casterly Rock, but he seized upon the opportunity to place Tyrion in Winterfell at the first possible chance.  At the time of Tyrion's marriage to Sansa, the deal with Walder Frey and Roose Bolton was still being worked out, and the marriage contracts were not agreed.  Tywin could have put ANY suitable Lannister as regent in Winterfell.  Daven, for instance.

He has this constant mix of total disdain and grudging respect for Tyrion.

On 05/09/2017 at 11:39 PM, Falcon2909 said:

He always hated Tyrion. Why not have him subtly and quietly killed, like in a hunting 'accident' for example?

This is a POV based series. Tyrion and Arianne believing that their fathers always hated them does not make it so.

Tywin was hugely disappointed in Tyrion, both for reasons that Tyrion had no control over and for reasons that he did. Being disappointed in someone is not grounds for murder, even in the medieval world. 

Thanks to nepotism Tyrion rose as high as any dwarf has ever done in Westeros or any dwarf was ever likely to do. He literally went to war when he was captured. Tyrion is one of the most educated nobles in Westeros, has had the freedom to do as he pleased around all of Westeros. Hate seems to be an exaggeration, especially as its not like Tywin is especually warm to any one else in the series.  

Archived