Ghost+Nymeria4Eva

Ghost Grass: The Dothraki prophesy of winter?

4 posts in this topic

There were many interesting new things I noticed during my re-read of GoT. One of the biggest is the dothraki story of ghost grass. Jorah tells Dany about it when she goes to Vaes Dothrak with the khalasar for the first time. Here's the quote:

“It’s so green,” she said.

"Here and now,” Ser Jorah agreed. “You ought to see it when it blooms, all dark red flowers from horizon to horizon, like a sea of blood. Come the dry season, and the world turns the color of old bronze. And this is only hranna, child. There are a hundred kinds of grass out there, grasses as yellow as lemon and as dark as indigo, blue grasses and orange grasses and grasses like rainbows. Down in the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai, they say there are oceans of ghost grass, taller than a man on horseback with stalks as pale as milkglass. It murders all other grass and glows in the dark with the spirits of the damned. The Dothraki claim that someday ghost grass will cover the entire world, and then all life will end.”

The pale grass seems like an eerie metaphor for the Others/ The fact that even Dothraki seems to expect pale grass/Others/winter that seems to overtake the world is really unsettling. The Dothraki sea is sort of in the middle of the world. It's also probably the most fertile land now, considering Valyria is gone. I think famine is going to kill people more than the WW. Anyway, does anyone find it interesting that the ghost grass exist in the Shadow Lands? Not in the north, but in the east. I think that's where the Others really come from. Is there's a connection between shadow stuff and WW?

Ghost grass might be snow, but there is an invasive poisonous type of grass in the region by the Shadow and Asshai. There is another Wall with the Five Forts in the far east of Essos. It was built thousands of years ago to keep the Others out, but not the same as the Others in northern Westeros Beyond the Wall. The Others in Essos include creepy monstrous looking things such as the Lion of Night. It isn't far from Yi Ti. The legend of Azor Ahai and Lightbringer come from this place.

The Lion of Night is actually a deity in Yi Ti. The Faceless Men of Braavos consider the Lion of Night as a representation of the Many-Faced God, like the Black Goat of Quohor or The Stranger in Westeros.

Ghost grass is probably somewhat a "Plant of the Others". There is some connection, their behaviour is quite similar, both are the enemies of any life. The Others are the enemies of human and animal life, the ghost grass is an enemy of plants.

I t is interesting that, in A clas of kings Danerys is told about growing Ghost Grass in Quarth, after demise of the Undying. It cannot be truly verified, because it is told by Xaro, not a really reliable source.