Wolfs Blood Traits?

FylkirKarl

What are the traits of those that possess the "Wolfs Blood" in House Stark? We've had three characters mentioned that are said to have wolfs blood, and those are Brandon Stark (Son of Rickard Stark), Lyanna Stark (Daughter of Rickard Stark), and Arya Stark (Daughter of Eddard Stark). These three characters have multiple similarities with them both being willful and having bad tempers with Brandon charging into the Red Keep to demand Rhaegars death, Lyanna beating up squires bullying Howland Reed, and with Arya hating anything lady like, and being against it, similar to how Brandon was carefree and Lyanna may or may not of ran off with Rhaegar despite being bethrothed and him married. What are some other traits?

Wolf's blood isn't really a thing, it's just something Ned tells Arya to explain some unruly behavior in his family. He tells Arya that Lyanna had a "touch" of wolf's blood while Brandon had more than a "touch." I think it explains wild behavior like Brandon sleeping around, getting into fights, doing whatever with Robert Baratheon. Lyanna was also willful, fierce and kind of stubborn so that's probably why Ned says that about her. And we know how fierce Arya is. Wolf's blood is not like Valyrian blood that gives people certain traits like purple eyes and silver hair. It's just a metaphor Ned uses. 

It may or may not be just a metaphor, the fact is, we don't know yet. Wolf's blood may be tied in w/ skinchanging and warging abilities, that may or may not have been latent in some Starks of previous generations. 

I know it's a metaphor, and not a literal idea of wolfs blood, but so far we've had two types of Stark behavior described to us. Wolf's Blood and Ice Veins. The Wolf's Blood seems to be wild, ferocious, willful, short tempered etc while Ice Veins which is what i've nicknamed it is cold, introverted, quiet, serious aka what was said about Ned Stark having ice in his veins instead of blood. I know this isn't a closed case as the Stark children have different personalities as well, but Starks like Eddard or Benjen seem to be more related to having ice in their veins along with Rickard while Starks like Lyanna, Arya, and Brandon have "wolfs blood" which is what I described above as them being willful, fierce, wild, easy to anger etc and a love to fight.

Arya looks like Lyanna, who is described as a "child-woman of surpassing loveliness". Arya Horseface is just a mean nickname, the type of nickname kids give one another. The other points are also silly and meaningless btw. 

On 9/6/2017 at 8:20 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Wolf's Blood and the characteristics of the Starks.

1. Quick of Temper, Slow of Mind.
  2. Quick to Anger, Slow to Think.
  3. Freakishly long faces.  Ex.  Arya Horseface.  Not attractive.
  4. Very emotional.  Eddard was the exception. 
  5. Touchy nature, quick to take offense.  Very much a trait of Jon.

:D

I love this.  :agree:

6.  Boring family, the Starks.

7.  They die when they go south.  A pattern that will hopefully continue.  The mother wolf was the signs of this and should come true for the cubs as well.

As others have mentioned...the temper.
The ability to kick some serious butt.
Impulsive. 
Reckless.
Hot-blooded, in a romantic/sexual sense.
Unwilling to be dominated or cowed by anyone/don't intimidate easily at all.
Courageous.
Fierce.
Other traits vary in appearance and strength.

The Starks with the wolf's blood are the Alphas in the pack. Ned was very much a natural-born Beta forced into an Alpha role, and while he was good at it, it would never have been his choice.

I think the character we've seen with the most wolf's blood is Rickon. I hope he lives to strike fear into the hearts and minds of all Stark enemies, and the Others as well.

44 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I think the character we've seen with the most wolf's blood is Rickon. I hope he lives to strike fear into the hearts and minds of all Stark enemies, and the Others as well.

Good point. But he was too small when he was taken away fro Stark household, so he could have forgotten his Stark-ness.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:31 PM, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Good point. But he was too small when he was taken away fro Stark household, so he could have forgotten his Stark-ness.

He may have forgotten a lot, but that wolfish nature will be in full form. He hasn't had Catelyn's southron gentling influence since he was three. He's going to be the most savage of all of them, a throwback to the old Kings of Winter and Theon the Hungry Wolf perhaps. That's assuming he lives.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:31 PM, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I love Rickon and I cannot wait until he arrives back on page atop a shaggy unicorn with his wolf by his side, and a Skagosi army at his back.

In the meantime, one of the problems the Starks kids are having is knowing and understanding that they are wargs. They were raised and taught by a maester that such things don't exist anymore and are children's stories. Therefore, each time they had a wolf dream or experience, it confused them because they never had a teacher. Thankfully Jojen came around for Bran to help start him on that learning, which leaves Osha for Rickon. There is no better surrogate mother for an orphan wolf pup than a free folk woman. The free folk know of wargs (and other northern magics) and they know where to find wargs/skinchangers to teach their young how to control such talents. This is exactly what Rickon needs. Val even flirtily mentions this to Jon and Tormund when she talks about "gelding" Jon. You geld a young horse to help them get control of their wild side  (and Jon (and Lyanna) have a lot of horse imagery in their story). We also see a glimpse of this in Varamyr chapter where his father takes him to a skinchanger for training.

• His own mother had abandoned him as well. She cried for Bump, but she never cried for me. The morning his father pulled him out of bed to deliver him to Haggon, she would not even look at him. He had shrieked and kicked as he was dragged into the woods, until his father slapped him and told him to be quiet. "You belong with your own kind," was all he said when he flung him down at Haggon's feet.
    He was not wrong, Varamyr thought, shivering. Haggon taught me much and more. He taught me how to hunt and fish, how to butcher a carcass and bone a fish, how to find my way through the woods. And he taught me the way of the warg and the secrets of the skinchanger, though my gift was stronger than his own.
  • Not all skinchangers felt the same, however. Once, when Lump was ten, Haggon had taken him to a gathering of such. The wargs were the most numerous in that company, the wolf-brothers, but the boy had found the others stranger and more fascinating. Borroq looked so much like his boar that all he lacked was tusks, Orell had his eagle, Briar her shadowcat (the moment he saw them, Lump wanted a shadowcat of his own), the goat woman Grisella …

And the culture of the northerners/Starks is similar to the free folk. They keep the same gods and many of the same customs that it should not be that different in the end.

On 08/09/2017 at 9:31 PM, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Nah, he's growing w/o the more "modern" views and traditions, which means he'll probably become the closest to the Starks of old. And that, by the way, is exactly what is needed w/ Long Night 2.0 just around the corner! 

13 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I love Rickon and I cannot wait until he arrives back on page atop a shaggy unicorn with his wolf by his side, and a Skagosi army at his back.

You and me both! :D

In the meantime, one of the problems the Starks kids are having is knowing and understanding that they are wargs. They were raised and taught by a maester that such things don't exist anymore and are children's stories. Therefore, each time they had a wolf dream or experience, it confused them because they never had a teacher.

Yes, excellent point. And another one supporting the idea that Rickon becomes the wild Stark, like king Brandon Stark who gave the slavers to the slaves in the Wolf's Den. Because he was too young when he left Winterfell, he was never as exposed to the teachings of Luwin and even Ned & Cat's parenting. 

Thankfully Jojen came around for Bran to help start him on that learning, which leaves Osha for Rickon. There is no better surrogate mother for an orphan wolf pup than a free folk woman. The free folk know of wargs (and other northern magics) and they know where to find wargs/skinchangers to teach their young how to control such talents. This is exactly what Rickon needs. Val even flirtily mentions this to Jon and Tormund when she talks about "gelding" Jon. You geld a young horse to help them get control of their wild side  (and Jon (and Lyanna) have a lot of horse imagery in their story). We also see a glimpse of this in Varamyr chapter where his father takes him to a skinchanger for training.

• His own mother had abandoned him as well. She cried for Bump, but she never cried for me. The morning his father pulled him out of bed to deliver him to Haggon, she would not even look at him. He had shrieked and kicked as he was dragged into the woods, until his father slapped him and told him to be quiet. "You belong with your own kind," was all he said when he flung him down at Haggon's feet.
    He was not wrong, Varamyr thought, shivering. Haggon taught me much and more. He taught me how to hunt and fish, how to butcher a carcass and bone a fish, how to find my way through the woods. And he taught me the way of the warg and the secrets of the skinchanger, though my gift was stronger than his own.
  • Not all skinchangers felt the same, however. Once, when Lump was ten, Haggon had taken him to a gathering of such. The wargs were the most numerous in that company, the wolf-brothers, but the boy had found the others stranger and more fascinating. Borroq looked so much like his boar that all he lacked was tusks, Orell had his eagle, Briar her shadowcat (the moment he saw them, Lump wanted a shadowcat of his own), the goat woman Grisella …

I couldn't possibly agree more. 

And the culture of the northerners/Starks is similar to the free folk. They keep the same gods and many of the same customs that it should not be that different in the end.

Exactly. 

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Nah, he's growing w/o the more "modern" views and traditions, which means he'll probably become the closest to the Starks of old. And that, by the way, is exactly what is needed w/ Long Night 2.0 just around the corner! 

Or he could end up even wilder than any Stark, raised half in the wilds and half as a Skagosi, more unicorn than wolf.

But then a unicorn and a wolf working together, that could be a hell of a team.

10 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Or he could end up even wilder than any Stark, raised half in the wilds and half as a Skagosi, more unicorn than wolf.

Oh make it so! Riding a unicorn w/ Shaggy at his side! :commie:

13 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Bring it :devil:

http://pre09.deviantart.net/e89a/th/pre/i/2014/056/a/f/badasss_wolf_with_unicorn_horn_by_yohanpower-d780o7t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 8:20 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Wolf's Blood and the characteristics of the Starks.

1. Quick of Temper, Slow of Mind.
  2. Quick to Anger, Slow to Think.
  3. Freakishly long faces.  Ex.  Arya Horseface.  Not attractive.
  4. Very emotional.  Eddard was the exception. 
  5. Touchy nature, quick to take offense.  Very much a trait of Jon.

:)

Archived