Wolfs Blood Traits?

FylkirKarl

24 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I didn't know people were still ruining everything with stupid hate threads.   I should have known better.   

Yup. There are those who like to bombard the forum with unfounded, illogical schmutz that is not based on book text, all because they favor another character.

You don't have to look too far. Not too far at all.

7 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yup. There are those who like to bombard the forum with unfounded, illogical schmutz that is not based on book text, all because they favor another character.

Good Grief! Yes.  You would think that characters in the book were celebrities or something with their own twitter accounts.

13 hours ago, Wildling-Queen said:

:P

This made me smile

Knowing this, in turn put a smile on my face. Thank you. :)

32 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

You got that right.  The Starks are  sanctimonious, arrogant, vainglorious, abrasive, gloomy, egomaniacs.

This however...oh boy, nothing like a clueless and weak comment to confirm the following post. :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

On 9/6/2017 at 6:49 AM, FylkirKarl said:

What are the traits of those that possess the "Wolfs Blood" in House Stark? We've had three characters mentioned that are said to have wolfs blood, and those are Brandon Stark (Son of Rickard Stark), Lyanna Stark (Daughter of Rickard Stark), and Arya Stark (Daughter of Eddard Stark). These three characters have multiple similarities with them both being willful and having bad tempers with Brandon charging into the Red Keep to demand Rhaegars death, Lyanna beating up squires bullying Howland Reed, and with Arya hating anything lady like, and being against it, similar to how Brandon was carefree and Lyanna may or may not of ran off with Rhaegar despite being bethrothed and him married. What are some other traits?

Bad tempers, stupidity, careless, dumb, violent, prickly, hypocrite, impulsive.

On 12/4/2017 at 11:08 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

Built in ventilation.  Greywind is an all-season coat.

That beats under armour.  But GW is not moisture-wicking.  And he could use a touch of spandex.  

On 12/5/2017 at 11:34 AM, Roose on the Loose said:

The wolfdreams cause the Starks to experience life from the POV of a wolf, and eventually they take on lupine qualities in their waking lives.

They become more and more wolf like.  They are not to partake of human flesh.  They are not to mate as wolves.  All that, I think the Starks will violate in the near future.  Rickon being a child is overcome by Shaggy's wolf nature.  He's going to be savage.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:30 AM, Curled Finger said:

I see a lot of Ned in Arya, certainly call backs to Ned from Jon.   Why all these hard qualities?  If wolf's blood is a metaphor for Stark personalities where is honesty, loyalty, resourcefulness and bravery in these lists?   I'm thinking wolf''s blood can't be all bad.  

Oh it's pretty bad.  Ned was the good apple in the barrel. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2017 at 8:45 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

As others have mentioned...the temper.
The ability to kick some serious butt.
Impulsive. 
Reckless.
Hot-blooded, in a romantic/sexual sense.
Unwilling to be dominated or cowed by anyone/don't intimidate easily at all.
Courageous.
Fierce.
Other traits vary in appearance and strength.

The Starks with the wolf's blood are the Alphas in the pack. Ned was very much a natural-born Beta forced into an Alpha role, and while he was good at it, it would never have been his choice.

I think the character we've seen with the most wolf's blood is Rickon. I hope he lives to strike fear into the hearts and minds of all Stark enemies, and the Others as well.

The kid is already losing his mind to his wolf.  it's not too far more to go before he starts howling at the moon and blessing every tree he comes across.

On 7.9.2017. at 3:09 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Arya looks like Lyanna, who is described as a "child-woman of surpassing loveliness". Arya Horseface is just a mean nickname, the type of nickname kids give one another. The other points are also silly and meaningless btw. 

Forgive me, but where it was said that she looks like Lyanna?

2 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Forgive me, but where it was said that she looks like Lyanna?

AGoT, Arya II 

"Needle wouldn't break," Arya said defiantly, but her voice betrayed her words.

"It has a name, does it?" Her father sighed. "Ah, Arya. You have a wildness in you, child. 'The wolf blood,' my father used to call it. Lyanna had a touch of it, and my brother Brandon more than a touch. It brought them both to an early grave." Arya heard sadness in his voice; he did not often speak of his father, or of the brother and sister who had died before she was born. "Lyanna might have carried a sword, if my lord father had allowed it. You remind me of her sometimes. You even look like her.

"Lyanna was beautiful," Arya said, startled. Everybody said so. It was not a thing that was ever said of Arya.

"She was," Eddard Stark agreed, "beautiful, and willful, and dead before her time." He lifted the sword, held it out between them. "Arya, what did you think to do with this … Needle? Who did you hope to skewer? Your sister? Septa Mordane? Do you know the first thing about sword fighting?"

And later, we have Bran's vision in ADwD... he sees a girl and a boy playing w/ swords and first thinks it's Arya and him, then realises it couldn't have been them.

ADwD, Bran III

“Now two children danced across the godswood, hooting at one another as they dueled with broken branches. The girl was the older and taller of the two. Arya! Bran thought eagerly, as he watched her leap up onto a rock and cut at the boy. But that couldn’t be right. If the girl was Arya, the boy was Bran himself, and he had never worn his hair so long. And Arya never beat me playing swords, the way that girl is beating him. She slashed the boy across his thigh, so hard that his leg went out from under him and he fell into the pool and began to splash and shout. “You be quiet, stupid,” the girl said, tossing her own branch aside. “It’s just water. Do you want Old Nan to hear and run tell Father?” She knelt and pulled her brother from the pool, but before she got him out again, the two of them were gone.
After that the glimpses came faster and faster, till Bran was feeling lost and dizzy. He saw no more of his father, nor the girl who looked like Arya, but a woman heavy with child emerged naked and dripping from the black pool, knelt before the tree, and begged the old gods for a son who would avenge her.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:49 AM, FylkirKarl said:

What are the traits of those that possess the "Wolfs Blood" in House Stark? We've had three characters mentioned that are said to have wolfs blood, and those are Brandon Stark (Son of Rickard Stark), Lyanna Stark (Daughter of Rickard Stark), and Arya Stark (Daughter of Eddard Stark). These three characters have multiple similarities with them both being willful and having bad tempers with Brandon charging into the Red Keep to demand Rhaegars death, Lyanna beating up squires bullying Howland Reed, and with Arya hating anything lady like, and being against it, similar to how Brandon was carefree and Lyanna may or may not of ran off with Rhaegar despite being bethrothed and him married. What are some other traits?

The Wolf's Blood is the term Rickard Stark affectionately describe the wildness in the Starks . It varies in degree from Eddard , yes he has it , who basically has control over his unless you bring up the question of Jon's mother. Lyanna who has more as seen when she beats up the squires for attacking Howland Reed , Brandon who has more than Lyanna his challenging the crown prince Rhaegar and his giving Petyr a near life ending slash . See hot blooded .Both Arya and Robb showed signs of this trait . Robb furious, having to be restrained by Theon when insulted by Joffrey . Arya willfully told Sansa 'I don't care what you say , I 'm going riding .Which she did .

8 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

AGoT, Arya II 

"Needle wouldn't break," Arya said defiantly, but her voice betrayed her words.

"It has a name, does it?" Her father sighed. "Ah, Arya. You have a wildness in you, child. 'The wolf blood,' my father used to call it. Lyanna had a touch of it, and my brother Brandon more than a touch. It brought them both to an early grave." Arya heard sadness in his voice; he did not often speak of his father, or of the brother and sister who had died before she was born. "Lyanna might have carried a sword, if my lord father had allowed it. You remind me of her sometimes. You even look like her.

"Lyanna was beautiful," Arya said, startled. Everybody said so. It was not a thing that was ever said of Arya.

"She was," Eddard Stark agreed, "beautiful, and willful, and dead before her time." He lifted the sword, held it out between them. "Arya, what did you think to do with this … Needle? Who did you hope to skewer? Your sister? Septa Mordane? Do you know the first thing about sword fighting?"

And later, we have Bran's vision in ADwD... he sees a girl and a boy playing w/ swords and first thinks it's Arya and him, then realises it couldn't have been them.

ADwD, Bran III

“Now two children danced across the godswood, hooting at one another as they dueled with broken branches. The girl was the older and taller of the two. Arya! Bran thought eagerly, as he watched her leap up onto a rock and cut at the boy. But that couldn’t be right. If the girl was Arya, the boy was Bran himself, and he had never worn his hair so long. And Arya never beat me playing swords, the way that girl is beating him. She slashed the boy across his thigh, so hard that his leg went out from under him and he fell into the pool and began to splash and shout. “You be quiet, stupid,” the girl said, tossing her own branch aside. “It’s just water. Do you want Old Nan to hear and run tell Father?” She knelt and pulled her brother from the pool, but before she got him out again, the two of them were gone.
After that the glimpses came faster and faster, till Bran was feeling lost and dizzy. He saw no more of his father, nor the girl who looked like Arya, but a woman heavy with child emerged naked and dripping from the black pool, knelt before the tree, and begged the old gods for a son who would avenge her.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Starks and Targaryens shouldn't marry for this reason. They each believe they share blood with the beasts on their sigils. You don't see Edmure Tully claiming he's a fish or Renly Baratheon talking about his stag blood.

Only because their sigils aren't awesome. The Lannisters call themselves lions. The Freys are double-crossers (some of them anyway). Gregor Clegane is a mad dog, and Sandor is an injured one that likes to snarl. The Greyjoys are Krakens, Euron especially. Illyrio commented about Westerosis equating themselves with their sigils so it's not unique to anyone.

The only family that implies literally sharing the blood of their sigil is Targaryen, and considering what we know of Valyrian magic being rooted in "fire and blood", that may not be empty boasting.

The ice of the Starks should cool the fire of the Targaryens, and temper the tendency toward madness. The old Kings of Winter were hard men, but not madmen. Given that it's 99% likely that Jon is the result of a Stark and Targaryen union, and he's not nuts, there's no particular evidence that says the two shouldn't mate. Granted, the resulting sigil expression would be one funny-looking animal.

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2017 at 8:20 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Wolf's Blood and the characteristics of the Starks.

1. Quick of Temper, Slow of Mind.
  2. Quick to Anger, Slow to Think.
  3. Freakishly long faces.  Ex.  Arya Horseface.  Not attractive.
  4. Very emotional.  Eddard was the exception. 
  5. Touchy nature, quick to take offense.  Very much a trait of Jon.

#3 is only partly true.  Lyanna, Eddard, Jon Snow, and Arya all possess the unusually long faces but many in the family, like maybe ones who don't have the traits of the wolf blood, have normal faces.  

#1 is very true.

Archived