Jaime "Goldhand" Azor Ahai Theory

byrd82

Hello, All! I'm new to this forum. I recently wrote up a theory for Reddit and wanted to share it with you! I appreciate your feedback! 

TL; DR: Jaime Lannister is the "Golden Hand" hero. He uses diplomacy to resolve the White Walker conflict.

The Lord of Light is a farce. Valyrian words for gold and hand are aeksion and ondos. Valyrian words for lord and light are aeksio and onos. Could a translation error have led to the erroneous creation of a religion? Will the true savior be the “Gold Hand?’ Artifacts point to the mistranslation – for instance, the Lord of Light’s army is called the “Fiery Hand”. These kinds of misinterpretations and mistranslations are discussed by Aemon to alert us to look for them. But, whom do we know with a golden hand?

That's right - Jaime Lannister.

Jaime? Seriously?

Yeah, for real. In fact, I will provide evidence for my assertion that Jaime is Azor Ahai, The Prince That Was Promised, and the Valonqar all wrapped into one shiny, morally-confused package. 

Before we begin, though, let's summarize Jaime's narrative. ASOIAF/GoT closely follows Jaime (AKA The Kingslayer) as he painfully examines the nature of his character in order to undergo an impressive redemptive transformation. For many of us, Jaime has fundamentally changed from someone we absolutely detested early on to someone we, well, kinda like. I hope to explain to you here how each of the prophesies undeniably fit with major events related to this transformative journey.  

There is a single event that is undoubtedly the most important catalyzing event of Jaime's redemption story - the loss of Jaime's hand. This is because I believe Jaime “Forges his Hero’s Sword” (as phrased in AA prophecy) by shedding his “Kingslayer” persona. In order to rid himself of the “Kingslayer” he must first lose the symbolic representation of this perceived corruption – his sword hand. Jaime states, "I was that hand." directly linking his character to his sword hand. 

When Qybyrn is treating Jaime's stump, he says he is removing the corruption, a potential double meaning. This double meaning is illustrated even more clearly when, in another scene, Qyburn says "We've stymied the corruption."Jaime repeats the phrase with emphasis, showing its importance. *That is, while Qyburn has stymied the physical corruption, Jaime repeats the phrase to show us that he has stymied his corruption of character.* 

Cersei, too, says things change once Jaime loses his hand, calling Jaime's hand a "rather important part" of him. Cersei prefers the corrupted Kingslayer persona. Jaime's transformation is undesirable in Cersei's eyes. As a result, she continually interferes in Jaime's redemption. 

So, forging a hero’s sword is metaphorical for forging a hero’s character or allowing the hero to surface, being “reborn” as Jaime. This begins to occur immediately after Jaime loses his sword hand, an event that was set into motion when Jaime selflessly attempted to save Brienne's life. If you recall, in order to be the hero, prophecy states that Jaime must forge his sword three times. I believe this is because with each attempt, his connection to Cersei corrupts him, necessitating multiple "forgings". This cycle will eventually lead to the fulfillment of the Valonqar and Nissa Nissa/AA prophecies in the same act – the death of Cersei at the hand of Jaime.

The Azor Ahai Prophecy: Forging a Hero’s Sword:

If you are unfamiliar, the books discuss a prophesied hero, Azor Ahai, that will save man from the White Walkers. This prophecy is written in three parts, each of which can be explained using events from Jaime's redemption story: 

~Part I | The Kingslayer Confession~ 

He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over.

After Jaime loses his hand, he begins his ascent. His first attempt to shed the “Kingslayer” occurs when he shares the Aerys story at Harrenhal in the bath with Brienne. He is tempering/testing “Jaime” in water by confessing the story of the Kingslayer. A sign that we will begin to see a transformation exists in this odd line that appears in book and television "Not so hard, you'll rub the skin off." may serve as another clue. I believe this is a subtle reference to this first act of change, shedding his skin. 

Jaime proceeds to tell the story of how he saved King's Landing from Aerys. After Jaime completes his confession: 

The water had grown cool. When Jaime opened his eyes, he found himself staring at the stump of his sword hand. The hand that made me Kingslayer. The goat had robbed him of his glory and his shame, both at once. Leaving what? Who am I now? ASOS, Jaime, CH 37

Jaime subsequently passes out in the bath. Reddit u/Cong0 suggests the word "broken" can be used to describe Jaime's physical state at this moment. Brienne calls out for help referring to him as “Kingslayer” but he replies, "My name is Jaime!" an important clue to that which is listed above, emphasizing the opposition of those two constructs. 

What happens after this scene continues the hero story. However, Jaime is corrupted by his love for Cersei. His continual references to “the things I do for love” is a reminder that he engages in questionable moral behavior for Cersei’s sake alone.

Immediately prior to his second redemptive act, Jaime faces the “Kingslayer” directly by reviewing the History of the Kingsguard. Here, he tells Joffrey "I still have time" to do good deeds. The exchange causes him to face his past and desire to "reforge his sword" a second time .

~Part II |The Tysha Confession~

The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered.

Jaime’s second attempt to shed the Kingslayer occurs when he defies Tywin and Cersei. He does so by freeing Tyrion from the cells after he is implicated in Joffrey’s death, he additionally confesses the truth in regard to his role in the Tysha story. Lightbringer imagery may be at play, as we see Jaime predominantly carrying the torch in the dungeon.

As soon as Jaime releases Tyrion from prison, Tyrion goes to the Tower of the Hand to confront Tywin. There’s plenty of lion imagery as Tyrion enters the Tower of the Hand. It feels like they're shoving it in our faces, really. Shae even mutters "My lion." There's no doubt this is purposeful. However, there are two ways to approach this part of the myth depending on whether we are addressing the TV or book version of events: 

- - ASOS Version: Tysha was Tyrion's first wife. When Tywin discovered Tyrion was married to Tysha, he had Jaime tell Tyrion that Tysha was not in love, but a paid whore. Tywin then ordered his guards to gang rape Tysha while Tyrion watched. This is a very painful subject for Tyrion. When Jaime releases Tyrion from his cell, Jaime confesses that Tysha was not a whore and Jaime was always aware of this lie. With this confession, Jaime attempts once again to rid himself of the Kingslayer. 

Jaime allowed, even aided in, Tyrion's imprisonment. In this case, Tyrion is the captured lion. Jaime's confession is devastating for Tyrion, and "drives a sword into the lion's heart". After Tyrion is released, he finds his current love, Shae, in his father's bed, causing him to kill Tywin. 

- - TV Version: In order to simplify events, the show runners chose to account for this prophecy by making Tywin the lion, who is shot in the heart by Tyrion as a result of Jaime's actions. There's an interesting clue in GoT that strengthens the validity of this theory. In ASOS, Tywin is shot once in the gut. However, in GoT, he is struck again - in the heart. There is no reason to include this second shot, except to account for the prophecy. But, Jaime didn't kill Tywin directly, right? So, why would he believe it's his fault? How would it impact his "hero journey?" 

There’s an important scene where Cersei blames Jaime, and so he blames himself. Tyrion may be a monster, but at least he killed our father on purpose. You killed him by mistake with your stupidity.). Jaime is told not only he murdered Tywin, but also his sense of moral responsibility caused it.

Due to Cersei’s influence, Jaime slips once again into Kingslayer character. Immediately prior to the potential third act, he faces Edmure Tully. Edmure gives a long speech about Jaime and his character. As a result, Jaime states he would “launch (Edmure’s) baby into Riverrun for Cersei.” Then, the Frey’s remind Jaime again of what being the Kingslayer means immediately prior to returning to King’s Landing in S6E10 though the “we are the same” speech. Both encounters setting the stage for the final act.

~Part III | The Rebirth~

The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast.

After success at Riverrun, Jaime returns to King’s Landing and finds the Sept burned to the ground. Cersei has murdered The Faith Militant, along with many innocent citizens (note: Jaime likely saved the lives of many of these same people when he killed Aerys). Jaime sees Cersei on the throne and understands that he must kill her. He knows what he must do to finish the blade. Killing Cersei will finish Jaime’s “blade” by removing her corrupting influence permanently. It's only a matter of time...

In my view, the importance of this event is highlighted by one sign of Azor Ahai revealing itself. The symbol for the Faith Militant is the red star. Further, each recruit of the Faith Militant is marked with a red star. I believe the "bleeding red star" is a reference to the mass murder of the Faith Militant which occurred at the Sept of Baelor.

He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, while her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon.

Jaime and Cersei have the only relationship fitting of the prophecy. Theirs is a love that has been the focus of the series. No other characters could meet and exhibit a deep, meaningful love in two short seasons. Theories that propose Brienne as Nissa Nissa fall short. Brienne's role is no substitute for Cersei, as Jaime and Brienne's is a relationship of respect and admiration - not profound love. At best, Brienne serves as a role model and catalyst for Jaime's journey. Other theories that cite Jon or Dany and previous deaths of loved ones do not take into account that Lightbringer is prophesized to appear immediately after the death of Nissa Nissa. Theories that cite Jon and Arya fail to understand that Jon has not mentioned or actively searched for Arya. This would be a very strange conclusion - reunion and immediate sacrifice? *The only character that consistently fights and kills for another, all while remaining physically attached to that character for the whole series and refusing to leave their side is Jaime in regard to his dedication to Cersei - this is telling.* 

That being said, just as in the other parts of this myth, I think we should look for more figurative aspects of the prophecy to reveal themselves. Yes, I believe this is describing the death of Cersei, but the details are still hazy. Look for symbolism around baring her breast, combining steel/soul, and moon. 

Born Together, Die Together

Throughout the books, there are references to Jaime and Cersei dying together. While one could take this literally, and as evidence against this theory, I believe it's more appropriate to relate the death of the twins into the overarching theory outlined here. Yes, the Kingslayer will die with Cersei, but Jaime will not. In killing Cersei, Jaime will be "reborn" as Azor Ahai, completing the forging of his "hero's sword." 

The Valonqar & Nissa Nissa Prophecies

Another prophecy of ASOIAF is that of the Valonqar. When she was a girl, Cersei Lannister visited Maggy the Frog, who told her that all of her children would die, and that Cersei would die at the hands of the Valonqar. Valonqar is the word for "little brother" in High Valyrian. Cersei has long-believed Tyrion to be the Valonqar. However, I believe Jaime is not only the Valonqar, but in the same act he will fulfill the Valonqar and Nissa Nissa prophecies. *Evidence shows that these two prophesies are linked.*

After the deaths of her children, Cersei has openly contemplated whether she could have prevented the their deaths. She wonders if Maggy the Frog's prophesies were accurate. Cersei understands that, if the Valonqar prophecy is true, she could not have changed their fate. If Maggy the Frog's prophecy is true, she would not feel responsible for their deaths.

For this reason, when Cersei realizes Jaime is the Valonqar, she would be in both "anguish and ecstasy" in dying due to her understanding that the prophecy holds and her children were marked for death. *Her death will bring her relief, even joy. Who else would be in “ecstasy” during death?* In my opinion, this fact cohesively links Cersei, Nissa Nissa, & the Valonqar prophecies. 

WTF is Lightbringer?

So... wait - how could Cersei be strangled via the Valonqar prophecy and also be Nissa Nissa and killed by Lightbringer?!? This is purposeful deception. Lightbringer will not be a sword itself, but the return of Jaime’s sword hand ablaze. *A fiery hand is Lightbringer.* What was once Jaime’s corruption embodied is reborn, the mark of a prophesized hero.  Once the best swordsman in Westeros, Jaime will be whole once again.

One **very** strong piece of visual evidence occurs when Meera asks Jojen, “When will we know it’s the end?” and Jojen replies...

After making this post, Reddit u/cheep-cheep pointed out this passage of interest that seems to also make direct reference to Jaime's fiery hand:

His hand burned. 
Still, still, long after they had snuffed out the torch they'd used to sear his bloody stump, days after, he could still feel the fire lancing up his arm, and his fingers twisting in the flames, the fingers he no longer had. --ASOS, Jaime IV

Another passage from A Feast for Crows makes yet another reference: 

In his dreams Jaime always had two hands; one was made of gold, but it worked just like the other.  --AFFC, Jaime

Recall, too, Tyrion says to Cersei “The day will come when you feel safe and happy, but your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth.” This comment makes it seem as if the two will never meet again. Could it be that Tyrion dies before Cersei, so Cersei believes she has avoided the prophecy? Perhaps she feels "safe" because she believes she will not die at the hand of the Valonqar. Then, when Jaime strangles her with a the fiery hand, it will literally leaves ashes in her mouth? This, too, is another piece of evidence linking Cersei, Valonqar and Nissa Nissa prophesies. 

Don't forget, Cersei points out how cold Jaime’s new hand is.

General Thoughts:

Jaime is the hero. He displays a pattern of putting others before himself. Jaime is known for saving King’s Landing from the Mad King Aerys, but not for the throne or recognition. In fact, he suffers for his deed. Jaime routinely preserves life and avoids conflict - even at Riverrun. 

Riverrun (when compared to “Dragon’s Bay” and “Battle of the Bastards”) is a peaceful resolution. As much as I enjoyed those conflicts from a purely aesthetic perspective, I think there’s a reason they occurred at the same time – we can see the leadership styles directly compared among Jaime, Jon, and Dany. Jaime is a champion for all, unlike Dany or Jon, who brutally kill those that oppose them. IMO, Jaime is a leader and a warrior that is not motivated by his own greed for power, land, etc. and is much more hesitant to engage in violent action. 

We also know the White Walkers are capable of negotiation and peace - remember Craster and his deal to provide male children in return for peace with the White Walkers? *Perhaps this is how Jaime will resolve the conflict with the White Walkers - through diplomacy.* I firmly believe GRRM will not end the story with war being the ultimate resolve. Diplomacy and peace will be the answer. 

GRRM discusses the major theme as “conflict of the human heart” and that war sucks – this is Jaime’s story. It’s still a bit of an archetypal Messiah story but with a unique twist. What could be more painful than sacrificing oneself? Sacrificing a loved one that you consider to be a part of yourself. Your twin and one true love. 

The hero being the hero all along is boring. Redemption and growth are interesting. Lannisters aren’t evil because they’re Lannisters; Starks aren’t good because they’re Starks. Anyone is redeemable and/or corruptible. So, maybe our unlikely hero will save Westeros from the White Walkers with his fiery hand ablaze. At it's conclusion, then, we will have our song of ice and fire.

Tinfoil Bonus Theory:

I think this theory would be extra cool if Bran was destined for alliance with The Others. Ice/Fire, Bran/Jaime. The story would mimic its beginning, a conflict between these two. But, ultimately, Bran is corrupted as a "hero for the other side" and Jaime is the traditional hero. In S1E1, Jaime and Cersei are in the tower, Jaime appears to wrap his hand around Cersei’s throat, Bran catches them in the act so Jaime pushes him. Jaime chokes Cersei, Bran flies. Perhaps we will see some mirror of this occur in the finale?

12 minutes ago, byrd82 said:

Valyrian words for gold and hand are aeksion and ondos. Valyrian words for lord and light are aeksio and onos

None of these words appear anywhere in the books. They're words invented years later, by David J. Peterson, for the TV series.

Meanwhile, Lord of Light is a translation from Asshai'i, not from Valyrian. Just as Azor Ahai and R'hllor are names in Asshai'i. There's no more reason to expect Asshai'i and Valyrian to be related than, say, Japanese and Latin.

So, you're basically arguing that a 5000-year-old religion from Japan is a farce because if you translate their god's main epithet into English and then into Latin, the words end up similar to something different, and that GRRM hid this secret in words he never gave us in languages he hadn't actually developed, in hopes that a TV show would come along and invent those languages for him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the original language be Valyrian? Volantis should be the primary location, right? I know the Azor Ahai legend comes from Asshai'i, but this doesn't eliminate the role of the original Valyrian. 

Also, I tend not to believe there might have been some information passed to Peterson about the future books/ critical information. Yes, we have not heard these words, but there's plenty of story left.  

Lastly, this single point isn't really the crux of the Jaime argument. In fact, I think the theory stands on its own without this portion included. 

I get it Jaime is going through a path that may lead to his absolution, but just beacuse of his late actions is a bit on the benevolent side doesn't mean he is The Hero of the story. He is yet to redeem himself in my opinion. And @falcotron is right and...

1 hour ago, byrd82 said:

In fact, I think the theory stands on its own without this portion included. 

no it it doesn't. Backbone of your theory is this mistranslation and without this it doesn't stand.

Also any reference or mention of TV show is strictly forbidden. This is book forum your topic may got deleted or transferred.

I'm positive Jaime is destined to be one of the major hero's of the story, perhaps even filling the Last Hero role and seeking out Bran in the far north.  But I don't see anything about the Azor Ahai legend or the faith of R'hllor to suggest that they are anything but another villain.  Everything about their shadow-and-fire religion screams evil and the Shadowlands are just GRRM's take on Mordor.  I'm not holding my breath for dragons and shadowbinders to save the day.

I'd look more towards Tyr the one handed Norse god of war if I wanted to know where Jaime's story is heading.

1 hour ago, falcotron said:

None of these words appear anywhere in the books. They're words invented years later, by David J. Peterson, for the TV series.

Even so, if GRRM advised they may still contain clues.  Does anyone know when these words were invented?  Before of after season 4?  Before or after they decided not to use GRRM's ending?

I think this theory is a major stretch. Jaime may or may not find his redemption, but he is definitely not Azhor Ahai. There is a list of requirements I'm sure you can find on this forum, and Dany and Jon fit it best. Also, there's that scene in the books when Melisaandre does her fire magic and asks R'hllor to show her the Prince that was Promised/Azhor Ahai. The fire shows her Jon. 

Jaime's path goes somewhere else. He probably manages to grow out of his Lannister vanity and pride and see his family for the villains they are, unlike Cersei. He is currently travelling with Breinne. There's another prophesy involving Jaime that may indicate his future. He once sleeps on a weirwood stump and has a weird dream where he has his both hands back. I think Cersei and her evil maester do their dark arts to give Jaime a new hand. She also likely imprisons Breinne (as per Jaime's dream). Once Jaime realizes what the maester has been doing in the dungeons with Cersei looking the other way, he probably loses it and strangles Cersei. And you know the reanimated Mountain is her bodyguard, he probably kills him. That part is in a dream Bran has in book 1, where a large man very much like the dead mountain overshadows a figure in all gold. 

The Lannisters are going to end with Jaime and Cersei, and they are not going to save the world from the Others. 

I agree w/ @thehandwipes, I think Jaime will play a very important and heroic part in the future. That said, I don't think he is THE one hero, but I don't think anyone is, there won't be the one hero in this story. And I really don't think becoming Azor Ahai Reborn is something I would wish on any character I like, the dude is bad news. 

21 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I agree w/ @thehandwipes, I think Jaime will play a very important and heroic part in the future. That said, I don't think he is THE one hero, but I don't think anyone is, there won't be the one hero in this story. And I really don't think becoming Azor Ahai Reborn is something I would wish on any character I like, the dude is bad news. 

Its a testament to George's ability to keep us uncertain and guessing that so many people could look at this-guy and say: "Maybe he's here to help!"

1 hour ago, byrd82 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the original language be Valyrian? Volantis should be the primary location, right? I know the Azor Ahai legend comes from Asshai'i, but this doesn't eliminate the role of the original Valyrian. 

Also, I tend not to believe there might have been some information passed to Peterson about the future books/ critical information. Yes, we have not heard these words, but there's plenty of story left.  

Lastly, this single point isn't really the crux of the Jaime argument. In fact, I think the theory stands on its own without this portion included. 

Why would Volantis be the primary location? Just because it's the sort-of headquarters of the religion today doesn't mean that's where it came from. It's not entirely clear where the religion originally arose, but R'hllor is clearly not a Valyrian name, and there are religious texts in Asshai that predate the Valyrian Freehold, so Volantis seems pretty unlikely.

1 hour ago, thehandwipes said:

Does anyone know when these words were invented?  Before of after season 4?  Before or after they decided not to use GRRM's ending?

What makes you think they decided not to use GRRM's ending? Everything they've said in interviews implies the opposite.

4 minutes ago, falcotron said:

What makes you think they decided not to use GRRM's ending? Everything they've said in interviews implies the opposite.

I'm not actually interested in discussing the show, I've stopped watching.  I know they said at one point the "ending" would be the same, whatever that means to them, but they've also said that the show won't spoil the books.  And I believe them because they seem to be heading for a good guys vs bad guys fight for humanity.  I don't see the books heading that way, but that's just my opinion.  

17 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I agree with this.  @byrd82 I really enjoyed reading your theory when I saw it at The Ringer this summer and would love for you to be correct because it would be unexpected and awesome, but based on what we saw in S7 I don't see any way for this to happen, especially with Jaime heading north and Cersei remaining in KL.  But I've never believed that AAR or TPTWP were going to be personified by a single individual.  Jaime is my favorite (still alive on the show) character though!

Archived