u.s. politics: a cruel and unusual government

all swedes are racist

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That's good news.  I hope the Senate follows suit.

100% agree.  Ridiculous how powerful and rife with abuse the asset search/seizure methods of L/E and the government have become. 

Also, I know many libertarians or classic liberals such as myself who think very poorly of Trump.  America was cursed with two horrible options in the last election IMO.  I wonder how it would have been had Bernie actually won frequently now...

2018 is going to be interesting, hopefully the USA can keep things together until 2020. 

1 hour ago, TrackerNeil said:

Heh...for today, at least. Honestly, after November I could not bear debating the Board Libertarian of the Week (BLOW) about how badly Trump was going to perform as president. He has, but whatever BLOW I was engaged with wouldn't be admitting it anyway.

Just ignore them. At this point nobody can argue with a straight face that Trump has been successful.

30 minutes ago, Triskan said:

I won't be the first person to say this online today, but I am not so sure what's going on with how many Dems have signaled being on board with single-payer this early.  

Bernie Sanders does something kind of intellectually  dishonest when he talks about this.  He says that no other industrialized nation fails to give all of their citizens access to healthcare which is largely true but links it to the single-payer crusade as if that's the only way to get there.  Single-payer is just one way to get to the goal of universal coverage, and Obamacare did make quite a bit of progress on that front.  

Moving towards single-payer will create a massive backlash that will not just be from big healthcare entities.  There will be literally tens of millions of people more than with Obamacare worried about losing their existing coverage.  This is so obviously a political problem that I'm surprised that this many Dems are going along with it and wonder if they're caving to Bernie.  

It is not hard for me to envision a weakened Trump running against a Dem with the Dem having the advantage on nearly every issue with Trump still winning because of the Dem being for single-payer.  We're long ways away, of course, but I think it's far from clear that this is a political winner.  And I also think it's less urgent in a post-Obamacare environment than it was before.  

Are you arguing against Single Payer?  It has the advantage of being a method for universal coverage with the best chance of getting health care costs under control.

7 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

There seems to be a lot of advocacy of criminal violence on these forums.

You don't gotta worry about me, friend. 8mm Mauser is way too expensive these days for me to waste it on your kind. 

10 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

Funny coming from someone that is perfectly fine with people rallying to recruit more into their far right ideology that calls to commit genocide / ethnic cleansing. I'm gonna guess you're okay with state violence though eh classic liberal aka privileged whitey sitting on the fence not taking a side?

13 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Name another responsible way to respond to Nazis. 

When they come to places like Berkeley? Tape them. Record their words. Let them bury themselves in their own shit. They ain't recruiting jack shit at places like Berkeley. The media coverage they get on the back of a violent counter-protest is the only tool in their bag. Don't give it to them.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

When they come to places like Berkeley? Tape them. Record their words. Let them bury themselves in their own shit. They ain't recruiting jack shit at places like Berkeley. The media coverage they get on the back of a violent counter-protest is the only tool in their bag. Don't give it to them.

Because that has worked so far? This administration refuses to condemn them and thinks some of them are good people. And yes, they are recruiting people from Berkeley and surrounding areas. Who do you think invites them? Young republicans, the ones eating their shit up. 

The only reason that is a tool of theirs is because of finger wagging false equivalence pushing centrists, kind of like yourself. The issue isn't the counter protesters getting violent with fascists, its the centrists lacking any sort of spine saying both sides are bad and the nazis seeing this and using that to their advantage.  

15 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

...like driving through protesters (after changing direction and accelerating) -- I agree. Let's not condone violence by white supremacists considering we know what they want and we've seen the outcome of their ethos.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not entirely the same situation -- however, 

https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/gta/2017/09/11/the-problem-with-jagmeet-singhs-love-and-courage-reaction-to-heckler-paradkar.html

Anger expressed by white people is passion. The same emotion from a Black man or a turbaned man is a threat.

The position that calm forgiveness occupies on the moral high ground is indisputable. Some people may find it helps them heal and move forward.

But it’s important to acknowledge that it does nothing to end racism; on the contrary, it is the reaction that placates white comfort by leaving undisrupted the self-image of niceness and innocence.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Y'know, after their over represented advocates finish taking away my right to have a job that allows me to afford internet I'm sure I'll have plenty to say on this subject before I'm strung up under a bridge. 

4 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Y'know, after their over represented advocates finish taking away my right to have a job that allows me to afford internet I'm sure I'll have plenty to say on this subject before I'm strung up under a bridge. 

something something something that can't happen here something something white cis straight male's perspective on law and order protecting the

8 minutes ago, Week said:

...like driving through protesters (after changing direction and accelerating) -- I agree. Let's not condone violence by white supremacists considering we know what they want and we've seen the outcome of their ethos.

Hey man, didn't you know beating up a nazi is just as bad as the holocaust? Didn't you know that everything that is illegal is unethical and that what the law says goes and is ethical? 

John Brown was just as bad as slave owners - people that cry about Antifa beating up Nazis.

Hey, you are infringing upon the rights of slave owners to own black people. You're just as bad as they are if you want to stop them from owning slaves - people that are free speech absolutists sticking up for nazis and white supremacists that preach genocide / ethnic cleansing. 

3 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

You tell me. 

You're the one saying it, dude. You tell me. We can't be both advocating criminal violence AND be innocent of wrongdoing until proven guilty. Something isn't criminal until actually proven, no?

So either we get the same benefit of the doubt as that guy who ran over protesters in Vancouver, or we don't. Which is it?

Archived