u.s. politics: a cruel and unusual government

all swedes are racist

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Did you read the piece?

Yes.  I agreed with the part that stated that the dossier was just raw intelligence, but I disagreed with a lot of the other conclusions, like the assertion that there was no way Steele would have known about Russian meddling in the election before he wrote the report. The Washington Post published in June 2016 that the Russians hacked the DNC.  The Post also reported on Trump's financial ties to Russian and his bromance with Putin.  Fusion GPS specifically hired Steele to look into Trump's Russia connections.  It was pretty clear by the time Steele was hired that Russian was using their hackers to try and influence the election to damage Clinton and help Trump.  Other things like Manafort's connections with Russian/Ukraine were well known.

I don't think many of the specific facts alleged in the dossier have been verified, like the alleged meetings between Trump associates and Russian agents.  Those are the kind of facts that really matter, and unless those are proven, the dossier hasn't produced much of note.

36 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Let's just see who sitting prettier at the end of the season, my friend. :D

By the way, you have to post up your contracts and whatnot before the start of the Thursday Night game. Better get on that shit.

I emailed them to the commish, but I can do that too.

As for who will be better in the end, that will obviously be you. The team you inherited is so much better than mine, and my most expensive player just caught a case of Exploding Knee Syndrome. But let's take this elsewhere. There's no need to foul Up the politics thread with our FF talk.

THE KING'S LANDING CULLERS WILL RISE AGAIN! 

5 hours ago, James Arryn said:

I've actually envisioned a Limbaugh or Jones Presidency, mostly if Trump were martyred. 

You sound strangely coherent for somebody whose supposed to be binge watching Grizzly Adams episodes. 

And somebody else is supposed to be growing a mountain man beard and tracking down a suitably hairy/furry avatar.

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That may well be, but I choose not to run. Way too much work, way too much responsibility. That job would kill me. I'd take some sort of plush, corner office job in the administration of a President that had a good sense of humor. Minister of Meme Generation or somesuch nonsense.

Must be careful then not to slip up if you want to attain that position. You totally missed this meme opportunity:

I've always wanted to be ambassador to Italy, that or being allowed to open a pizzeria on the ISS.

I see the usual suspects are sticking up for white supremacists. What a shocker 

And yea, I am for a "mob mentality", aka: civilians defending themselves, when the fucking cops aren't doing anything to protect people that are the targets of white supremacists and fascist.

This asshole tried to run people over with his truck and the cops let him go. 

Spare me your white mans devils advocate bullshit, especially since you are always arguing in support of the bigots. 

At some point I think sympathizer or bigot will fit your label as well, especially if the trend of being an apologist for them continues the way it has, even though the fucking nazis and white supremacists are the ones killing people here in the US and are the only ones attempting murder as well.

16 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

At some point I think sympathizer or bigot will fit your label as well, especially if the trend of being an apologist for them continues the way it has,even though the fucking nazis and white supremacists are the ones killing people here in the US and are the only ones attempting murder as well.

http://igeek.com/w/images/thumb/b/bd/Logic-Citation.jpg/210px-Logic-Citation.jpg

38 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Must be careful then not to slip up if you want to attain that position. You totally missed this meme opportunity:

I've always wanted to be ambassador to Italy, that or being allowed to open a pizzeria on the ISS.

OH NOES!

https://t00.deviantart.net/yMHD_9LSfcIh-HHEvLyFBuwohj4=/fit-in/700x350/filters:fixed_height(100,100):origin()/pre07/a22e/th/pre/f/2008/289/d/6/a_challenger_appears_by_sulich.png

This is a very good rundown on the difficulties the GOP faces right now:

Why Republicans Can't Govern

Full Disclosure:  Julia is a good friend of one of my advisors.  I've never really got on board with her work for...reasons, but she's incredibly nice, whip smart, and has better contextual knowledge than many.  That's probably why I like this piece - it's essentially taking canonical work as basic premises, then operates as a lit review and synthesizes into the current situation.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

This is a very good rundown on the difficulties the GOP faces right now:

Why Republicans Can't Govern

Full Disclosure:  Julia is a good friend of one of my advisors.  I've never really got on board with her work for...reasons, but she's incredibly nice, whip smart, and has better contextual knowledge than many.  That's probably why I like this piece - it's essentially taking canonical work as basic premises, then operates as a lit review and synthesizes into the current situation.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/09/base-voters-may-not-care-how-much-stuff-gop-gets-done.html

In my attempt to curb @ThinkerX's "you guys missed this" links...

Gillibrand & Collins Unveil Legislation to Block Transgender Ban:

[The amendment] would stop the military from kicking out transgender service members solely because of their gender identity, according to a press release sent out by Gillibrand’s office Monday evening. It would also require Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to assess the effects enlisting transgender people would have on the military, and he would have to send the review’s results to Congress by the end of the year.

The senators hope to get a vote on the provision as part of the National Defense Authorization Act — the must-pass $700 billion bill that sets the Pentagon’s budget. The Senate will debate that legislation this week.

New Study Finds Tagging Fake News has Little Effect:

[The study] found that tagging false news stories as “disputed by third party fact-checkers” has only a small impact on whether readers perceive their headlines as true. Overall, the existence of “disputed” tags made participants just 3.7 percentage points more likely to correctly judge headlines as false, the study said.

The researchers also found that, for some groups—particularly, Trump supporters and adults under 26—flagging bogus stories could actually end up increasing the likelihood that users will believe fake news.

Shocker.

47 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

hahah omg check out ted cruz's "likes" tab on twitter lmao

I was coming here just to post about this. This is fucking gold. 

The comments and memes being made are just amazing haha. 

I'm shocked it's still up. 

It's also hilarious how the christian fellowship tweet is the one liked right before this.

Archived