r'hllor's red lobster

u.s. politics: a cruel and unusual government

409 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

By meet I'm assuming you mean set off some low grade explosives, smash some property and bar entry to their events thus giving them 10 times the publicity they would've otherwise received?

Today in Bush Era gimmicks that don't work, though Paul "Numbers Guy" Ryan probably thinks they are a great idea.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/13/trump-says-his-tax-break-will-get-companies-to-hire-more-workers-companies-say-it-wont/

Trump says middle-class Americans should not fret about giant corporations getting a steep discount on their tax bills. Once that money is on U.S. soil, Trump argues, companies will use it to build new factories and research centers and create more American jobs.

Also, along with this, it's depressing that Trump is appointing people like Randal Quarles to the FED who has said some really questionable things.

It's like, we haven't learned a goddamned thing since 2007.

“Companies want to get their money back to buy stock and goose the stock price because their senior executives derive so much of their compensation from the stock prices,” said Edward Kleinbard, a tax law professor at the University of Southern California and former chief of staff for Congress’s nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation. “Their motives are completely suspect.”

I think I need to sit down. I'm shocked, just shocked over this.

43 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yes, exactly. Whether or not it is criminal is really not an issue. As an example, Trump blatantly profiting from the office of POTUS as he did with the recent Malaysian diplomatic trip is easily impeachable, and could be very easily convicted, but it's not actually a crime. 

Well, under the Sandor Clegane school, anything is impeachable.

If the "empty words" do matter, it seems a stretch to say he has committed "high crimes and misdemeanors" if what he does is not actually illegal.  But I'm not familiar with the details.  Maybe a case for illegality can be made.

I thought it was silly enough that Bill Clinton was impeached for lying about his sexual adventures.  It was good political theater while it lasted, but the impeachment failed, and IMHO it should have failed.  But at least it could be argued that he perjured himself, and that, if not a high crime, was at least a misdemeanor (or should that be a "high misdemeanor"?, whatever that is).  

Edited by Lew Theobald

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Ah okay, I gotcha. It wouldn't open on my phone past the title for some reason. Thanks tho.

Funnily enough, I'm actually in the middle of reading Zoe Quinn's memoir atm.

Funny coincidence. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@TrackerNeil is back!!!

Heh...for today, at least. Honestly, after November I could not bear debating the Board Libertarian of the Week (BLOW) about how badly Trump was going to perform as president. He has, but whatever BLOW I was engaged with wouldn't be admitting it anyway.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That's good news.  I hope the Senate follows suit.

100% agree.  Ridiculous how powerful and rife with abuse the asset search/seizure methods of L/E and the government have become. 

Also, I know many libertarians or classic liberals such as myself who think very poorly of Trump.  America was cursed with two horrible options in the last election IMO.  I wonder how it would have been had Bernie actually won frequently now...

2018 is going to be interesting, hopefully the USA can keep things together until 2020. 

1 hour ago, TrackerNeil said:

Heh...for today, at least. Honestly, after November I could not bear debating the Board Libertarian of the Week (BLOW) about how badly Trump was going to perform as president. He has, but whatever BLOW I was engaged with wouldn't be admitting it anyway.

Just ignore them. At this point nobody can argue with a straight face that Trump has been successful.

I won't be the first person to say this online today, but I am not so sure what's going on with how many Dems have signaled being on board with single-payer this early.  

Bernie Sanders does something kind of intellectually  dishonest when he talks about this.  He says that no other industrialized nation fails to give all of their citizens access to healthcare which is largely true but links it to the single-payer crusade as if that's the only way to get there.  Single-payer is just one way to get to the goal of universal coverage, and Obamacare did make quite a bit of progress on that front.  

Moving towards single-payer will create a massive backlash that will not just be from big healthcare entities.  There will be literally tens of millions of people more than with Obamacare worried about losing their existing coverage.  This is so obviously a political problem that I'm surprised that this many Dems are going along with it and wonder if they're caving to Bernie.  

It is not hard for me to envision a weakened Trump running against a Dem with the Dem having the advantage on nearly every issue with Trump still winning because of the Dem being for single-payer.  We're long ways away, of course, but I think it's far from clear that this is a political winner.  And I also think it's less urgent in a post-Obamacare environment than it was before.  

Edited by Triskan

30 minutes ago, Triskan said:

I won't be the first person to say this online today, but I am not so sure what's going on with how many Dems have signaled being on board with single-payer this early.  

Bernie Sanders does something kind of intellectually  dishonest when he talks about this.  He says that no other industrialized nation fails to give all of their citizens access to healthcare which is largely true but links it to the single-payer crusade as if that's the only way to get there.  Single-payer is just one way to get to the goal of universal coverage, and Obamacare did make quite a bit of progress on that front.  

Moving towards single-payer will create a massive backlash that will not just be from big healthcare entities.  There will be literally tens of millions of people more than with Obamacare worried about losing their existing coverage.  This is so obviously a political problem that I'm surprised that this many Dems are going along with it and wonder if they're caving to Bernie.  

It is not hard for me to envision a weakened Trump running against a Dem with the Dem having the advantage on nearly every issue with Trump still winning because of the Dem being for single-payer.  We're long ways away, of course, but I think it's far from clear that this is a political winner.  And I also think it's less urgent in a post-Obamacare environment than it was before.  

Are you arguing against Single Payer?  It has the advantage of being a method for universal coverage with the best chance of getting health care costs under control.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

By meet I'm assuming you mean set off some low grade explosives, smash some property and bar entry to their events?

Name another responsible way to respond to Nazis. 

1 minute ago, WinterFox said:

There seems to be a lot of advocacy of criminal violence on these forums.

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Are you arguing against Single Payer?  It has the advantage of being a method for universal coverage with the best chance of getting health care costs under control.

I'm not necessarily arguing against it and could quite possibly be happy about a single-payer system some day.  I'm a bit worried that the Dems are jumping too hard into this position and may really come to regret it.  However single-payer polls now I would bet heavily that it will poll much less well once the attacks and fear-mongering get going.  

10 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Just ignore them! That is the way to go!  /s

7 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

You don't gotta worry about me, friend. 8mm Mauser is way too expensive these days for me to waste it on your kind. 

Edited by WinterFox

10 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

Funny coming from someone that is perfectly fine with people rallying to recruit more into their far right ideology that calls to commit genocide / ethnic cleansing. I'm gonna guess you're okay with state violence though eh classic liberal aka privileged whitey sitting on the fence not taking a side?

Edited by Sword of Doom

13 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

When they come to places like Berkeley? Tape them. Record their words. Let them bury themselves in their own shit. They ain't recruiting jack shit at places like Berkeley. The media coverage they get on the back of a violent counter-protest is the only tool in their bag. Don't give it to them.