Survivor 35: "Heroes vs. Heroes vs. Hustlers"

Scrambled Aegon

4 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I'm also a bit unsure about swapping to three tribes again. It's so easy for someone to be completely screwed with so little time to scramble and so few players to hide behind. I like shake-ups, but I also don't like it when people get placed in a corner with very little opportunity to turn things around. I might be too picky.

Id guess they will be down to 2 tribes not next episode but the one after.

I'm still trying to figure out why virgin lady decided to cancel Devon's vote and not Alan or Ashley's.  You would think the healers would need the red to have votes on their side.  Didn't mean anything in the end(other than perhaps down the line she thinks that's why Alan went out) but still odd.

Yeah, I didn't get that either. It's *possible* she misunderstood it, but not likely. I misunderstood what it did when she passed it off. I thought she was able to pass on the ability to block someone's vote, not actually block his vote. Then again, I don't understand her thought process because she's a 30-year old virgin and that's not a decision I can remotely understand.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a fan of Chrissy too.  This player profile is amusing, especially when Cole talks about her being flirty in auditions.  By proximity that makes Devon seem like he too has a milf-complex.  I don't blame them, Chrissy is hot af.

Less amusing is Patrick's claim she squeezed his butt in an elevator.  He reminds me of the compulsive liar kid in American Vandal that said the most popular girl in school gave him a handjob, or whatever it was.  Patrick is the worst.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Less amusing is Patrick's claim she squeezed his butt in an elevator.  He reminds me of of the compulsive liar kid in American Vandal that said the most popular girl in school gave him a handjob, or whatever it was.  Patrick is the worst.

Or you know, maybe she did.  Blind hatred of people you see for a total of maybe 20 minutes on a tv show is a smart thing.

• 2 weeks later...

So this season's actually gotten a lot better! Haven't been around here because I didn't watch for a couple weeks after the premiere and the thread was inactive during that very first week, but I caught up around episode 5 and have been digging it ever since. Awful premiere and pretty weak merge episode but I think every other episode has been solid - not great, but solid, with a strong cast.

I loved the twist they did with the Reward in the last episode and think Ben/Joe's content was excellent, Chrissy is a better and more interesting character the more nuanced her edit gets too imo and Cole is a pretty good one too. I'm liking the characterization this season. JP and Mike are good for laughs too and Devon has his moments.

On 11/23/2017 at 5:50 AM, Slurktan said:

I am baffled.  Why did Mike play his idol if him and Joe were both voting Cole?  Might be the dumbest thing I've seen on Survivor in a long, long time.

I was also very confused by that. And the majority alliance didn't even vote together, Chrissy voted for someone random I think.

Also, no one noticed a vote was missing from the last time they voted. I wonder if some of the did notice but said nothing out of fear of seeming too suspicious or maybe even "stupid." Lauren did a good job there; I just wish she hadn't told Ben about it. This season players have been using other people's secrets to get along with other players a whole lot. But maybe it always happens and I'm only noticing it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Good play by Ben.  I'm not sure why Lauren and Ashley and Devon protested at tribal about the waterhole powwow.  They knew they were trying to blindside Ben.  He caught you out, just acknowledge it and move on.  Instead they look like liars for really no reason.  Just weird.  Also is Dr Mike a slightly more likable Philip?

32 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Good play by Ben.  I'm not sure why Lauren and Ashley and Devon protested at tribal about the waterhole powwow.  They knew they were trying to blindside Ben.  He caught you out, just acknowledge it and move on.  Instead they look like liars for really no reason.  Just weird.  Also is Dr Mike a slightly more likable Philip?

How has this dubious looking season worked out?

57 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

How has this dubious looking season worked out?

Post merge I think it has actually been really good,  Lots of people actually looking to win instead of just coast to the end.  Except Mike.

There are way too many damn idols in this game. There should be one per original tribe max, and if that idol is not found before the merge or the player holding it gets blindsided, than no new idol is introduced!

I suggest that instead of finding the clues where the idols are, players find secret assignments which, if completed, will earn them an idol! The assignments must be something risky, like prevent your team from winning a reward challenge or hide a pot or machete from the camp.

7 hours ago, Gronzag said:

There are way too many damn idols in this game. There should be one per original tribe max, and if that idol is not found before the merge or the player holding it gets blindsided, than no new idol is introduced!

I suggest that instead of finding the clues where the idols are, players find secret assignments which, if completed, will earn them an idol! The assignments must be something risky, like prevent your team from winning a reward challenge or hide a pot or machete from the camp.

I agree with the two many idols and yet they have made things interesting this particular late game.  I also like that Ben hasn't been acting like a jackass for the most part.  He seems to really get that it is just a game; It really baffles me the hate Devon seemingly has for him.  I mean.. why?  I do like your idea though.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Was he actually trying to do that?  He did vote out Ashley.

Yeah, he just saw which way the wind was blowing and switched his vote to the biggest threat he knew was going to be getting votes.  He obviously would have rather kept her around than Devon who rebuffed the idea of working with him and Ashley without even a second of hesitation.

I agree there are too many idols. There are always rumours that the production team always goes out of its way to "assist" alpha male archetypes* whenever they're in trouble. They'll suddenly find a random idol, or the immunity challenge will be less about endurance (these challenges usually favour older women) and more cardio-related. Well, Ben finding that idol really pissed me off because the rumour just seems to have more strength now. Also, players can be complete jackasses and completely disregard social and strategic play and simply rely on the idols. Too many idols and they remove so much from the game. The game becomes too dependent on luck*.

*Historically, far more men have found idols than women. It's a ridiculous ratio that I can't quote off the top of my head, but just from memory, the only women I know for sure with idols are Kim, Sandra and Parvati. Men: Russell (multiple times), Ben (multiple times), Mike, Ryan, Adam, Yul, Jeremy (multiple times), Tony (multiple times), JT, Malcolm, Tai, Joe(multiple times)...There has to be something there.

But I still love the season. Still rooting for Chrissy to win.

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

I agree there are too many idols. There are always rumours that the production team always goes out of its way to "assist" alpha male archetypes* whenever they're in trouble. They'll suddenly find a random idol, or the immunity challenge will be less about endurance (these challenges usually favour older women) and more cardio-related. Well, Ben finding that idol really pissed me off because the rumour just seems to have more strength now. Also, players can be complete jackasses and completely disregard social and strategic play and simply rely on the idols. Too many idols and they remove so much from the game. The game becomes too dependent on luck*.

*Historically, far more men have found idols than women. It's a ridiculous ratio that I can't quote off the top of my head, but just from memory, the only women I know for sure with idols are Kim, Sandra and Parvati. Men: Russell (multiple times), Ben (multiple times), Mike, Ryan, Adam, Yul, Jeremy (multiple times), Tony (multiple times), JT, Malcolm, Tai, Joe(multiple times)...There has to be something there.

But I still love the season. Still rooting for Chrissy to win.

No, not really. Why would they do that?

I agree that way more male players have found idols, but, other than Sandra, I can't remember many women constantly looking for them. 

And, is Tai "alpha male archetype"?

2 hours ago, Gronzag said:

No, not really. Why would they do that?

I agree that way more male players have found idols, but, other than Sandra, I can't remember many women constantly looking for them. 

And, is Tai "alpha male archetype"?

Apparently.

The real question is whether or not women consistently go searching for idols given that it means you are essentially going to be voted off as soon as possible if caught doing it.  Also Kyoshi seems to forget Lauren this season had an idol and stupidly gave it away.

Well, to start with, the editing patterns in Survivor always favour male players over females. Especially in the early seasons, seasons in which men won were certainly edited to showcase why the men won; while seasons in which women won were edited to highlight why men lost. Think of Sandra in PI*, Natalie White in Samoa, Amber in All-Stars, Jenna in Amazon, etc. Australian Outback's outcome is still, to this day, seen as Colby's mistake as opposed to Tina's amazing win. With the exception of Micronesia, seasons where only women are in the finals tend to be more balanced in how the players are shown, but overall everyone seems to be somewhat blander. Marquesas comes to mind as one of the first seasons where this happened. SJDS is another one; they spent so much time focused on Josh and Jeremy in the pre-merge that we thought brilliant people like Natalie were non-factors. By the time we came around to Natalie, her story was all about avenging Jeremy and by then the season was in the toilet bowl. Sandra's story in PI was about avenging Rupert, and in HvH it was somewhat about avenging Rob Mariano...it wasn't completely about HER, but about the man she was attached to in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong but no male player have had a stories like these.

Things like that are so glaring that I can't believe no one who has watched the show since its inception has not noticed. And when asked of these editing patterns, I believe Jeff alluded to that female player games aren't dynamic enough i.e. flashy. So production obviously has a preferred game-type they like to show us. They deem it as more entertaining. If these players are in trouble, it makes sense to want to keep them in the game.

As to this season, there are things like this: Dr Mike said that one of the reasons he didn't believe there was another idol was because he had looked everywhere and nothing could be found. I think that's one of the reasons they didn't feel the need to follow Ben around. Its late in the game and they've looked themselves to no avail. But Ben, while looking, just happened to stumble yet another clue. I'm not saying women haven't found these things. and I'm not saying all male players who have found idols have had production assistance, I'm simply saying that some of these players, especially those who are favoured by the producers, have, from time to time, benefited from the favouritism.

Also, I can't believe that a whole demographic of people don't go looking for idols. Sandra can't be the only woman in the history of the show who has actively sought an idol.

*At the time it aired, PI was certainly Fairplay and Rupert's season.

Archived