Survivor 35: "Heroes vs. Heroes vs. Hustlers"

Scrambled Aegon

Typing that thread title would make me ashamed to be a Survivor fan, if I still considered myself a fan of the mediocrity this franchise puts out.

What even is this theme.

Last season was unbearably pointless and boring so here's hoping this cast can bring some life back into this show.

Roark <3

Technically, it's "Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers," unless that was an intentional pun on your part.  I really associate the term Hustlers with con artists, etc. rather than people who hustle to get a job done, so they're really stretching on forcing the three H words in the title, but that's nothing new.

I haven't look at much more than the name, but do we know if they picked the theme before selecting the contestants or if it's another one where they picked the people first and then shoehorned a theme that fit most of them?

What's wrong with selecting 18 or 20 participants and splitting them into two or three tribes without the themed b.s.? The phony story lines / plot structure are annoying.

Once the game starts, players latch on to whatever tribal name they are given regardless of their backgrounds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 8:07 AM, DivisionByZero said:

Technically, it's "Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers," unless that was an intentional pun on your part.

Hahaha wow Freudian slip. Totally 100% unintentional but I'm tempted to just leave it.

They picked the cast before the theme. Probst previously said that they always do that so we could have assumed they probably did but he has also specifically confirmed in pre-game press for this season that they did it here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like Chrissy and Ben working together. I like the hustler narrator (the one who gave Chrissy the idol) but he seems like someone they want to showcase before he goes home. His relationship with Devon is good - I like the oddball couples. JT and Steven are one of my favorite couples in the history of the game.

Honestly, the rest haven't made a super strong impression. I know it takes a while for a season to ramp up so we can get invested, but right now I'm really not invested at all.

7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Pat really lowered my opinion of him even more after that sore loser exit.

Apparently he and Ali knew each other from college so her betraying him would kind of sting.

I did just finish the Australian Survivor and it was great.

I did not predict that winner. The ones I thought for sure were going to do well were knocked out and suddenly it was anyone's game again. I had Sarah pegged since like the first couple of episodes and became convinced it was going to be either her or Luke and then BAM. Both out. Jericho was a dark horse for sure. I didn't have a great opinion of him early on, but I came to realize that the way he talked made me underestimate him. What he actually said was smart and on top of things, but his analogies and how he talks so slow sometimes I wasn't sure he was completely aware of the game around him. Lots of good characters that they actually developed. I loved Tarzan, even though he was only around a little bit. Some invisible edits, sure, but mostly not. Odette is frickin gorgeous. Invisible edit, but her eyes were mesmerizing.

I actually like this season. But then again, I have a tendency of speaking too soon. But again again, so far, this season feels a whole lot like pre-Nicaragua seasons, vintage somehow. The one huge glaring difference is how the women are edited in this one; they are more prominent and not side characters, like how they edited Sandra in PI and say Amber in All Stars. I genuinely like all the characters/contestants with the possible exception of Joe. I like that unlike Game Changers, the field isn't littered with advantages that have a long shelf life and therefore the potential to blow up all the same time. There was way too much 'stuff' in GC; at any point I couldn't tell you who had an advantage and who had an idol and who had a legacy and who had a vote steal, then it all blew up to screw over one of my all-time favourites. ugh.

I would be pleased if any of the people in HHH won (with the possible exception of Ryan since I'm getting increasingly annoyed at how he's hogging all the screen time. I know it's not his fault. Survivor does this all the time; the meta-characters get more focus. I just feel like I've seen several different iterations of him and I'm over it by now. David. Spencer. Cochran. Even Stephen to some degree. It's repetitive and the characters themselves don't feel genuine anymore; it's like they know the cameras are there and they want to end up as memes, or to give a hashtag title). This is why I like Lauren, I think. Her deadpan is actually endearing. Plus she's efficient; I was really glad she was saved last week. I laughed out loud when the whole drama with Jessica and the secret advantage played out. I also like Chrissy and I find it interesting that in any other season, like MvGenX, Lauren and Chrissy (the two oldest women on the show, if I'm not mistaken) wouldn't receive as much positive attention as is the case with HHH (a silly silly silly theme btw). Even Denise wasn't really the focus of her season. It was more a story of how Malcolm lost. I hate it when Survivor does that.

I'm really enjoying this season so far. I'm going to miss Alan. And Patrick. Even Simone seemed like she had the potential to have interesting dynamics with the rest of the cast. The casting department really did their job this time.

Meh, it could still get better for me.  I usually don't get into it until about halfway through, once I can remember players names.  But the endless gimmicks the producers come up with are grating... seems like it takes a lot more just pure luck to make it as opposed to strategy and relationships.  Just too many idols/advantages for my liking.  Definitely not what I feel like is "traditional" Survivor.  Been awhile since any of the tribes actually struggled to survive out of the gate, other than the occasional days-long torrential rain... Fire and food are generally handed out on day 1 for awhile now.  

^Dude, in season 1 they literally had trunks filled with canned foods for BOTH tribes, without the tribes winning a challenge. They were also given raincoats. I was watching the Australian outback and they all had the same raincoats/windbreakers, which were obviously supplied by the production team. Same thing in season 1. I don't remember them even having to earn fire.

And I honestly don't enjoy watching people suffer like the one tribe in Fiji.

Yeah Fiji stands out in my head but I was thinking it was common in earlier seasons they had gone past the first 2 tribals... obviously wrong.  I've never rewatched any seasons and I started watching somewhere around 5 or 6... so my bad on that.

I started watching with season 2, so didn't see the original for some years. As I was watching it, I didn't notice the gradual change of providing the cast with less and then I watched season 1 and was shocked at how much they gave them from the get go. And yes, Fiji sucked balls. I actually like the season for the characters and moments, but they did have the worst premise. (and some really unlikable characters to offset the good ones)

This season still hasn't clicked for me. I am assuming it will at some point though. I do like that these advantages have shelf lives, but I'm not completely sold on the implementation so far. And I don't want to see these all the time. So far it's averaging every 2 tribals. I'm also a bit unsure about swapping to three tribes again. It's so easy for someone to be completely screwed with so little time to scramble and so few players to hide behind. I like shake-ups, but I also don't like it when people get placed in a corner with very little opportunity to turn things around. I might be too picky.

Archived