Alias Grace (Netflix)

AncalagonTheBlack

Official trailer dropped today.Airs September 25 on CBC and on November 3 on Netflix.

Alias Grace is based on Margaret Atwood's award-winning novel. The six-hour miniseries follows Grace Marks, a poor, young Irish immigrant and domestic servant in Upper Canada who, along with stable hand James McDermott, was convicted of the brutal murders of their employer, Thomas Kinnear, and his housekeeper, Nancy Montgomery, in 1843.

Directed by Mary Harron (I Shot Andy Warhol, American Psycho,The Notorious Bettie Page), starring Sarah Gadon (A Dangerous Method, Enemy , 11.22.63) and written by Sarah Polley (Away from Her, Stories We Tell).

• 1 month later...

Not yet!  Awfully busy, still catching up with life at home after being away from home base for so long.

I will watch though and am so much looking forward to it.  Atwood has long been one of my favorite novelists. The woman who brought us this series looks as though she really gets the book too.

I never read (or heard of) the novel.  I was immediately sucked into the story, couldn't turn away and watched all six episodes in just a few sittings.  However, I didn't hate it, didn't love it.  It ended with me wanting more but also glad to be done.  

I have two episodes left, but am finding the story fascinating. Not sure if Grace is guilty or not, finding myself constantly shifting from one end to the other, based mainly on Sarah Gadon's wonderful portrayal of Grace Marks.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:21 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Out today on Netflix,thinking of watching it.Anyone else seen it yet?

Yeah... it was kind of gross and rainy here sunday... we have a house full of food, so we binged all six episodes... it is slow, but we liked it... Sarah Gadon is excellent... but she kept reminding me of Saoirise Ronan... they could pass for sisters, and they both can do that thing with their eyes where they seem to be looking right through you... Bit I give this a solid 7.5

Again, Sarah Gadon was fantastic. Her portrayal of Grace in the past and the story's present was excellent. Completely sold it. An entertaining, psychological mystery. But, geesh, was she ever surrounded by assholes. I'll have to learn more about the real Grace Marks.

Bludgeoned these last weeks by and ever, and rapidly, increasing list of sexual predators and abusers, and what they have been doing to women in the workplace, I just haven't been able to get myself to watch this.  I love Atwood's work, and I admired this novel when it came out, so it isn't that.  It's just -- the ever increasing weight of headache and a heartache and brain ache.

Archived