If you were Jon Arryn, what would you do?

titantron91

Let's say you discovered Littlefinger wanting you dead and that King Robert's kids are Lannister incest spawn.

Here are the conditions.

1. Robert is dead. Joffrey's about to succeed. You're still in King's Landing.

2. You know that Littlefinger wants you dead and is crippling the realm to use the resultant chaos as a ladder.

How would you ensure that you achieve all the following goals?

1. Remove the incest bastards from power and put Stannis, the rightful king, there.

2. Wipe out the Lannisters (except for Tyrion, probably) off the face of the Planetos.

3. Eliminate Littlefinger forever from the game.

1. Arrest Littlefinger and going there myself, or send someone like Ser Vardis, and then execute him at once in the king's name for his crimes. Or send him to the Black Cells and tell the guards that I don't want to him survive more than a few days at most. Then invite Stannis to come with all haste to the capital.

2. I won't. When they kneel they will be pardoned and life will go one after a harsh chastament of House Lannister. But odds are that the Tyrells and Lannisters will still make an alliance against Stannis and there will be a major war once more in Westeros, which its unclear if Stannis will win or if he'll push enough lords to jump sides so that Tywin will turn things around. Remember the Stannis of this time will not be very nice to his lords and will alienate a fair few of them.

3. See point 1.

There's no reason to wipe out the Lannisters. Better to give Tywin anything he wants in exchange for publicly confessing. It's his choice whether he knew what was going on and gets pardoned, or scapegoats Cersei and gets exonerated. Beyond that, who cares? If he wants to punish Cersei himself instead of letting us do it so he can regain some face, great. If he wants Jaime pardoned and kicked out of the KG to be his heir to the Rock, fine. If he wants Joffrey or Tommen legitimized as Jaime's son and heir, cool. Even if he wants to somehow blame Tyrion and get him sent to the Wall, as long as he can write a confession that makes that seem plausible, fine, I'll sign it.

The hard part is going to be getting Stannis and Renly in line. There are three things to do before going public with anything:

1. Convince Renly to go along with the plan of being Stannis's heir presumptive.
  2. Convince Loras that Margy should marry Renly, and have him help you sell the idea to Mace before the Lannisters get to him.
  3. Convince Stannis to agree to go along to whatever deal I'm going to make with the Lannisters.

At least the first and last ones are going to be difficult, but Jon is a better diplomat than Ned, knows everyone involved a lot better, and has had more time to prepare.

Then pay off the Gold Cloaks to arrest Littlefinger and all of the Lannisters by surprise instead of giving them notice in advance, and announce a big parade involving Mace's troops and Paxter's navy (which begin moving on the capital) to make sure nobody gets any bad ideas.

Then it's time to make the deal with Tywin, in the nicest prison cell we have available. As soon as we're done, go public with the confession, the evidence, and the exonerations and pardons.

Everyone else gets a trial. Littlefinger of course gets tried and executed.

Call all the nobles in the realm to come swear fealty to Stannis, but give them a lot of time. Enough time that I can negotiate with the most important ones in advance to make sure they're happy before Stannis can grind his teeth at them and alienate them.

When Hoster and Ned show up, beg one of them to take over the job of making the realm happy with King Stannis so I don't have to spend my remaining years stressed out.

Retire to run the Vale and live happily ever after, or at least for a couple years until, thanks to all the unlikely coincidences that happened in-story not happening in this alternate history, Mance manages to take down the Wall and the Others come rushing in behind and I freeze to death with everyone else. Oh well, it was a good life.

Archived