Season Finale Costumes - Hidden Messages?

Michelle Clapton is notorious for placing every piece of clothing and adornment on her characters with a specific message in mind. With that in mind, I have some lingering questions about the costumes in the season finale. Specifically:

1. Why did Sansa abandon her big furry Stark cloak? Why the transition to the far simpler hooded cloak in the finale? Did Arya's words about her materialism strike home? Is this going to continue in S8 or will it be back to the big furry cloak? Why the deliberate shift to this simple cloak only on the last episode of this season? Does it say something about her coming arc in the final season? (Funnily enough, now Arya looks more fancy than Sansa :P)

2. Did anyone notice the similarity between Tyrion and Cersei's costumes? The textured black leather, the fitted cut, the high necks...they were oddly similarly costumed. I found that strange, especially when considering the fact that Jaime is very differently costumed from them, even after abandoning the Lannister armor. 

3. Where in the world did the Hound get get those new duds? He looks fantastic!

21 hours ago, Song of the Sea said:

Michelle Clapton is notorious for placing every piece of clothing and adornment on her characters with a specific message in mind. With that in mind, I have some lingering questions about the costumes in the season finale. Specifically:

1. Why did Sansa abandon her big furry Stark cloak? Why the transition to the far simpler hooded cloak in the finale? Did Arya's words about her materialism strike home? Is this going to continue in S8 or will it be back to the big furry cloak? Why the deliberate shift to this simple cloak only on the last episode of this season? Does it say something about her coming arc in the final season? (Funnily enough, now Arya looks more fancy than Sansa :P)

2. Did anyone notice the similarity between Tyrion and Cersei's costumes? The textured black leather, the fitted cut, the high necks...they were oddly similarly costumed. I found that strange, especially when considering the fact that Jaime is very differently costumed from them, even after abandoning the Lannister armor. 

Good catch on the costume piece regarding Sansa. I have to think it represented her giving up her ambition to become Queen and fully rejoining the Stark fold.

17 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

The hound indeed looked great! 

I assume he got them at eastwatch or bought them somewhere on the way to KL.

I doubt there's a decent tailor at Eastwatch…

Imagine the Hound window shopping in the streets of KL… :D

I agree he looks good in city outfit.

6 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Good catch on the costume piece regarding Sansa. I have to think it represented her giving up her ambition to become Queen and fully rejoining the Stark fold.

I like that assessment and I hope it's a sign that they are putting to end the "Sansa-might-turn-on-Jon" plot that her character has been suffering from ever since they reunited. I also felt like the switch to the more normal cloak makes her far more approachable, especially when you add in the hints of humor in her dialogue in that last scene with Arya. I like the suggestion that she might not be going down the Cersei 2.0 "Ice Queen" trope after all. 

Now if only she would get rid of that clunky circle necklace with the needle!

28 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

I think he knows all the stores in KL that sell clothes for the extra tall by now :)

Hahaha that was my other thought!! How does he just find such well-fitting clothes when he's obviously not normal-sized and is not likely to come across a dead man wearing clothes that would fit him? 

In all seriousness, though, his new clothes were very much in the Westerlands style. The clasps on his leather jerkin (shirt?) and the cut of it look like a less fancy version of the ones that Tywin used to wear. 

11 minutes ago, Song of the Sea said:

I like that assessment and I hope it's a sign that they are putting to end the "Sansa-might-turn-on-Jon" plot that her character has been suffering from ever since they reunited. I also felt like the switch to the more normal cloak makes her far more approachable, especially when you add in the hints of humor in her dialogue in that last scene with Arya. I like the suggestion that she might not be going down the Cersei 2.0 "Ice Queen" trope after all. 

Now if only she would get rid of that clunky circle necklace with the needle!

Agreed. 

Hahaha that was my other thought!! How does he just find such well-fitting clothes when he's obviously not normal-sized and is not likely to come across a dead man wearing clothes that would fit him? 

In all seriousness, though, his new clothes were very much in the Westerlands style. The clasps on his leather jerkin (shirt?) and the cut of it look like a less fancy version of the ones that Tywin used to wear. 

The person that made Dany's fabulous winter dress at Dragonstone made it for him

On 9/9/2017 at 2:35 PM, Song of the Sea said:

Interesting questions. You are absolutely right in that this change in the final episode for Sansa must have been a deliberate choice. They do it all the time, Many of those choices are too subtle for me to catch, for example, did you know that Cercei's clothing at the Dragonpit meeting was meant to give a hint that she was lying and was going to betray them? 

About Sansa's cloak, it comes to my mind some things I read. Maybe we could draw a parallel with what Michelle Clapton said about Jon's cape, that it was a big, heavy one, meant to give him a strong presence and a Stark lordly look, since it is very similar to the one Ned used to wear. Sansa's one is very similar too, and gives her the "Lady Stark" look.

Michelle said that there was a lot of discussion as to when Jon should wear this cape, and when it was convenient for what they were trying to express that he looked more vulnerable, less strong, hence the choice to make him wear that fur cloak when he met Cersei, and the opposite when he first met Dany. 

It seems strange that they chose to make Sansa look less "strong" in the moment she was more a Lady Stark. She was sentencing someone to death, after all. But if you think about it, and rewatch the scene, out of the three siblings, it was Bran the one with the heaviest  cloak (his clothes had the most furs), and I think this might have been meant as to highlight Bran's participation in Littlefginger's demise, and to show that he was the one who took upon himself most of the burden of the decision to execute him. Sansa played the "Lady" role by giving the signal to execute LF, Arya acted on it, but it was Bran who ultimately decided how the things were to play out. 

The Stark siblings are one now, each one with different parts to play in different moments, but they are together  like they never had been, not even as little kids.

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, Song of the Sea said:

interesting thread. I had not noticed these differences. As for number one we have this interview....

http://www.thisisinsider.com/game-of-thrones-sansa-stark-new-dress-meaning-2017-8

the designer said that her s7 costume was a message to LF and the message that no one should physically touch her. Now that LF is out of the picture, we see Sansa being more open to Arya and who knows, maybe to love next season.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

interesting thread. I had not noticed these differences. As for number one we have this interview....

http://www.thisisinsider.com/game-of-thrones-sansa-stark-new-dress-meaning-2017-8

the designer said that her s7 costume was a message to LF and the message that no one should physically touch her. Now that LF is out of the picture, we see Sansa being more open to Arya and who knows, maybe to love next season.

Right, I hope her arc is going this way and the shifts in wardrobe are starting to hint at that. 

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I had not noticed the Tyrion/Cerdei similarities. I have the theory that he will betray Dany so I will pay attention on a rewatch. Same with Sandor.

I honestly was really surprised and skeptical when I read about the theories that Tyrion would betray Dany but the only thing that gave me a pause was this costuming detail. I was really taken aback by how similar Tyrion and Cersei looked during their little one-on-one. 

Then again, I'm not sure how much the costume designer is privy to the characters' coming arcs so maybe speculating on how costumes foreshadow anything might be fruitless. I wonder how much D&D involve Clapton when outlining the coming story and arcs?

23 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

It seems strange that they chose to make Sansa look less "strong" in the moment she was more a Lady Stark. She was sentencing someone to death, after all. But if you think about it, and rewatch the scene, out of the three siblings, it was Bran the one with the heaviest  cloak (his clothes had the most furs), and I think this might have been meant as to highlight Bran's participation in Littlefginger's demise, and to show that he was the one who took upon himself most of the burden of the decision to execute him. Sansa played the "Lady" role by giving the signal to execute LF, Arya acted on it, but it was Bran who ultimately decided how the things were to play out. 

The Stark siblings are one now, each one with different parts to play in different moments, but they are together  like they never had been, not even as little kids.

Yeah, if you look at the closeup of Sansa's hood, for instance, before the trial you'll notice that it's the same blue material with fur lining on the inside that Arya's asymmetrical cloak is. Presenting the Stark sisters as a unit, I think, was necessary. Especially, when you think about Ned's words: "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." Since the girls are now a unit, the fact that Sansa passed the sentence and Arya swung the sword does not really betray his teachings - they are still staying true to their father's ethos in a manner.  

Archived