Which name would he choose?

4 Eyed Crow

On 10/09/2017 at 3:17 AM, 4 Eyed Crow said:

If Aejon ends up on the Iron Throne for some reason or another, would he choose to be King Jon the First, or King Aegon the Sixth? No doubt that he'd still be Jon to his friends and family, but would he choose to be known by a different name for professional purposes?

Can you imagine that?

"Sansaaaaaaaaa, don't call me Jon, it's Aegon when we're in the Throne Room, k?"

Throne Names, names a ruler chooses to reign under, aren't that unusual. Look at Edward VII who was really Albert/Bertie to his family. Victoria was, technically Alexandrina Victoria as well, but was called Victoria in private as well after her coronation, because she disliked anything that had to do with her horrible childhood. 

Both these monarchs chose throne names because their actual names (Alexandrina and Albert) were too foreign and atypical for their realm. So if Jon chooses to reign as a Targaryen he might as well call himself Aegon VI in order to give himself more legitimacy.

I don't really see the issue with him keeping Jon as a name among friends and family. It's not like people address their relatives or friends by private pet names at official ceremonies.

11 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Throne Names, names a ruler chooses to reign under, aren't that unusual. Look at Edward VI who was really Albert/Bertie to his family. Victoria was, technically Alexandrina Victoria as well, but was called Victoria in private as well after her coronation, because she disliked anything that had to do with her horrible childhood. 

Both these monarchs chose throne names because their actual names (Alexandrina and Albert) were too foreign and atypical for their realm. So if Jon chooses to reign as a Targaryen he might as well call himself Aegon VI in order to give himself more legitimacy.

I don't really see the issue with him keeping Jon as a name among friends and family. It's not like people address their relatives or friends by private pet names at official ceremonies.

Ye, to be completely serious, this is true. Royal names aren't unusual. Jon would probably go by Aegon while on the job, Jon in private.

Though I think you're thinking of Edward VIII; Edward VI was the sickly lone son of Henry VIII, who was a puppet king who various nobles fought over the regency of.

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

Edward VII actually, forgot to type a "I" :-P

Edward VIII was the guy who abdicated the throne to marry Wallis Simpson.

Ah, fair enough. I knew it was one of the post-Victoria King Edwards; the reason there couldn't be a King Albert was because of an obscure edict Victoria gave out; that there would be no King called Albert following her husband's death.

I was thinking of something like Throne Names as well, but didn't know what it was called. 

2 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

the reason there couldn't be a King Albert was because of an obscure edict Victoria gave out; that there would be no King called Albert following her husband's death.

Interesting! They say you learn something new every day. 

On 9/12/2017 at 6:21 AM, jcmontea said:

This might have been potentially foreshadowed when Davos said 

"King Snow, no, King Jon, that doesn't sound right" 

In s7e4

Of course "King Snow" doesn't sound right because no king ever goes by their last name. They either use their first name, or take a regnal name that acts like a first name. Aegon the Conqueror was King Aegon. You can call him King Aegon I Targaryen, but you can't call him King Targaryen. Just like Bran the Builder was King Brandon, not King Stark; Robert was King Robert, not King Baratheon; etc. Just like in real life, Henry Tudor was King Henry VII, not King Tudor, Song of Zhou was King Cheng, not King Zhou, etc.

I still don't get how anyone living in a monarchy could make that mistake, much less a guy who'd been just spent years as hand to King Stannis (not King Baratheon).

32 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Of course "King Snow" doesn't sound right because no king ever goes by their last name. They either use their first name, or take a regnal name that acts like a first name. Aegon the Conqueror was King Aegon. You can call him King Aegon I Targaryen, but you can't call him King Targaryen. Just like Bran the Builder was King Brandon, not King Stark; Robert was King Robert, not King Baratheon; etc. Just like in real life, Henry Tudor was King Henry VII, not King Tudor, Song of Zhou was King Cheng, not King Zhou, etc.

I still don't get how anyone living in a monarchy could make that mistake, much less a guy who'd been just spent years as hand to King Stannis (not King Baratheon).

The writers are idiots. And probably got King <Name> confused with Lord <Name>, and associated practices.

3 hours ago, Kytheros said:

The writers are idiots. And probably got King <Name> confused with Lord <Name>, and associated practices.

I want to give them credit because they're Americans and grew up learning weird things about monarchy, but they've been working in Belfast for 7 years now, surrounded by British actors and directors, so… you may be right.

Archived