Ned stopped the Assassination?

Samwell_Tarly

Was Ned even more honourable than we thought....

After looking back through the seasons and knowing who Jon Snow really is now. Could this have influenced some of his decisions. One that stands out is his unwilling to be part of the assassination of Daenerys. Could this have been he knew this was more than likely Jons last living relative??

22 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Was Ned even more honourable than we thought....

After looking back through the seasons and knowing who Jon Snow really is now. Could this have influenced some of his decisions. One that stands out is his unwilling to be part of the assassination of Daenerys. Could this have been he knew this was more than likely Jons last living relative??

Jon had plenty of living blood relatives - The Starks. But I think he stopped Daenerys because Jon. Dany is the same age as Jon it would have been like letting Robert kill Jon. He probably tried to stop other Targ from being killed but he wasn't in the government before. 

Ned tried to stop the assassination attempt, and then he resigned when he couldn't prevent it.

It might be because he was fond of Jon and knew she was family to him, but I don't think that's the reason.
I think the actual reason is the one he gave: He considered Daenerys a innocent child, who was not to blame for her family's sins (a mentality that both Jon and Dany share), so killing her would be unhonorable, evil and wrong. Remember that he was disgusted by what the Lannisters did to the Targaryen babies during the sack of King's Landing too.

I always took the "wine merchant" who tried to poison Daenerys as the actual assassination attempt that he failed to prevent.

I thought he did delay it though? 

In s1e2 Robert suggests it but Ned says no and it is only until she gets pregnant that Robert insists which forces Ned to resign. It's possible had they tried right after her wedding they might have been successful. 

I like to think that Ned and the choices we made played a huge role in influencing the people who are going to save Westeros including Daenerys. This is in contrast to Tywin who the person he most shaped - his daughter - is so warped by the lessons he taught that she is risking the destruction of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

quick side note, but at any time in the show, are elia's children actually named? or are they simply referred to as elia's children? still trying to reconcile myself to jon's birth name. cause is his brother isnt actually named in the show, then i can accept it. we could just be pulling the names over from the books and side information.

32 minutes ago, Graydon Hicks said:

quick side note, but at any time in the show, are elia's children actually named? or are they simply referred to as elia's children? still trying to reconcile myself to jon's birth name. cause is his brother isnt actually named in the show, then i can accept it. we could just be pulling the names over from the books and side information.

Yes, in season 3 when the Brotherhood were listing the crimes of House Clegane.

1 minute ago, Graydon Hicks said:

ok. so ill look for a reason why lyanna would give her son the same name as his brother. its been done before i belive. maybe she had received news of what happened in the red keep at the sack of KL, and name jon in memory and honor of his elder brother.

http://watchersonthewall.com/case-aegon-targaryen/#comments

here is a case. 

I think it was more to do with principle. She was a thirteen-year-old girl. He saw no honour in killing a child. Maybe there was an aspect to it in that he saw the threat against Daenerys and it unsettled him how it could easily have been Jon on the end of such an order were he to be revealed as Rhaegar's son.

He'd already seen what happened to Elia's children, after all.

48 minutes ago, Faera said:

She was a thirteen-year-old girl.

Seventeen. This is the show, not the books. ;)
But yeah, assassinating a innocent girl would've been not just dishonorable, but downright evil.

• 2 weeks later...

Ned considered killing Dany a dishonorable act for sure.  He also would have thought back to Lyanna telling Ned on her deathbed that Robert would have had Jon/Aegon VIII killed if he found out about him.  Convincing Robert to not kill Dany, in a sense, was like putting a failsafe in place in the event that Jon's true identity was ever discovered...

Archived