so do the wildlings actually like jon snow?

snow is the man

Obviously some do like tormound but others seemed to be less then friendly to him. I don't just mean the thenns but when they are walking through the gate when jon lets them through he says some were giving him dirty looks. I was always curious about how the free folk thought about him in general.

Also was the skinchanger with the boar supposed to like jon? I took it that way but was curious what other thought

Their feelings towards him at the end of ADWD is more a reflection of how they feel about their king, Mance Rayder.  That Jon betrayed his oaths and broke the laws to spare Mance is a positive in their primitive wildling point of view.  When Jon revealed to the wildlings that he spared Mance, that got him plenty of brownie points.

Jon earned points with the wildlings but lost points with everybody else because he broke the rules and his oaths.  He should have executed Mance.  And that was compounded when he revealed he started a war with the Boltons just to get his sister out of their hands. 

wow....

@snow is the man , I think most that get close enough to know Jon do like him, but they all must at least feel grateful to him and that's a good start. I think general liking will follow. However, we know that they don't have to like a man in order to accept him as leader. Some didn't like Mance, but followed him all the same.

They will now see Jon as their leader even if Mance survives. Jon spared Mance twice and Mance has been sent on a mission by Jon, as other leaders had been sent on missions by Mance when he led. Jon saved them when Mance could not.

As a skinchanger, Borroq acknowledges a certain fellowship with Jon ("Brother.") and I suspect will become a friend and ally in the next book.

Simple and quick answer? Yes, they do. And not just Tormund... sure, some may be a bit wary of crows in general but not one was openly hostile when coming through the Wall. Others were more open. Morna swore to be his woman or his man, whichever he preferred, Borroq the skinchanger called him brother, and as @bemused said, he will probably get closer to Jon in Winds. 

As to whether people in-universe like or dislike Jon based on what happened to Mance, that is bollocks. No one at CB knows Mance is alive except Jon and Mel. And no, Jon never told those assembled in the Shieldhall that he spared Mance. First, who spared Mance was Mel/Stannis. Second, Jon read the PL but never said a single word about Mance being alive. And everyone saw Mance burn to death. They have zero reasons to doubt what they saw w/ their own eyes. The PL has other untruths: fArya and Reek are not there, for instance. So my advice is, if you wanna hate a character, go right ahead but try to get your facts straight otherwise it just comes across as a huge reading comprehension fail on your part. 

Thread title:    so do the wildlings actually like Jon Snow.

There is this big ice wall that is manned by the NW. The NW believes their mission is to keep the wildling from coming south. Some kind of threat arises and the wildlings begin moving toward the Wall. This huge ice wall is blocking their way and the wildling want to get on the other side away from the threat.

Up until the time this threat occurred the wildling were content to live their lives and occasionally send raiders over the Wall.

Mance revealed he wants to get his people on the other side of the Wall. As shown through Martin’s writing the NW is not going to simply open the gate and let their perceived enemy through.

Do the wildlings like LC Snow? It does not matter. They are running from a threat (refuges so to speak). The question becomes are both groups going band together to fight the threat.

After the threat is over are the wildings going to assimilate or return to their lands?

The threat being the Others and their wights.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

As to whether people in-universe like or dislike Jon based on what happened to Mance, that is bollocks. No one at CB knows Mance is alive except Jon and Mel. And no, Jon never told those assembled in the Shieldhall that he spared Mance. First, who spared Mance was Mel/Stannis. Second, Jon read the PL but never said a single word about Mance being alive.

Right.

@Noble Lothar Frey ... As to what the "primitive wildlings" (Har!) might have thought about the claims in the pink letter, I think we can probably judge by Tormund's response.. "Might be all a skin o' lies." 

To elaborate a bit on the point I was making upthread - the free folk saw Mance burn, and saw Jon's arrows spare him the worst of that death. Of course @kissdbyfire is right - it was Mel and Stannis who spared Mance's life originally... but if Mance and any of the spearwives survive Winterfell, it will become obvious that Jon spared Mance again.

In the interim, the wildlings have accepted Jon's rescue, hospitality and in the shieldhall, his position as battle leader. If Mance survives, they will see him as subordinate to Jon (as Tormund, Styr, Harma, etc. were to Mance).

11 hours ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

Their feelings towards him at the end of ADWD is more a reflection of how they feel about their king, Mance Rayder.  That Jon betrayed his oaths and broke the laws to spare Mance is a positive in their primitive wildling point of view.  When Jon revealed to the wildlings that he spared Mance, that got him plenty of brownie points.

Jon earned points with the wildlings but lost points with everybody else because he broke the rules and his oaths.  He should have executed Mance.  And that was compounded when he revealed he started a war with the Boltons just to get his sister out of their hands. 

How was feathering the presumed Mance against the vows of the Night's Watch? Jon didna spare the real Mance. Stannis did. 

Archived