Were Daenerys and Viserys together the whole time?

Davjos

I have a question for some of the forum member with a better memory than me. If I recall correctly there are some strong hints that Viserys and Daenerys weren't together the whole time before Illyrio. I don't really know where this idea in my head comes from, so I was hoping someone could help me with this. 

From memory the main hints they were seperated for some time during their youth was their difference in education (Dany speaking Valyrian while Viserys doesn't etc) and the 'House with the Red Door'. 

If anyone could help me, Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Ethelarion said:

I have a question for some of the forum member with a better memory than me. If I recall correctly there are some strong hints that Viserys and Daenerys weren't together the whole time before Illyrio. I don't really know where this idea in my head comes from, so I was hoping someone could help me with this. 

From memory the main hints they were seperated for some time during their youth was their difference in education (Dany speaking Valyrian while Viserys doesn't etc) and the 'House with the Red Door'. 

They were always together. Dany doesn't remember ever being separated from Viserys, and he doesn't speak of the time they were separated either. And neither were educated. Dany learns to speak Valyrian living in the Free Cities. It's considered a bastard form of Valyrian, as opposed to "high" Valyrian spoken or written in Valyria about 300 years ago, before the Doom. 

The house with the red door is where Dany remembers growing up. She considers it her "home." There, Dany and Viserys is taken care of by Ser Willem Darry, who safely gets them out of Dragonstone and into Essos. Dany likes it there because she has her own room with a lemon tree outside. Then Ser Willem dies and the servants steal what little money they had and kicks Dany and her brother to the streets. Afterwards, they wander around the Free Cities until Magister Illyrio invites them into his home. 

3 hours ago, Ethelarion said:

It depends on how you define separated. Obviously they didn't spend all their time together. From the first Dany-chapter in aGoT we learn that she knows what her brother is called in the streets while he does not and this does point different lives. Same with the how-fine-it-would-be-to-be-a-sailor-incident. It showcases that even though Viserys is her only family their values and view of the world are completely different. I mean in their situation the natural thing would be for her to internalise his perceptions but she doesn't (him being an abusive a-hole probably plays in on that).

Like, from the get go she pretty much defines herself by not being like him. And this does gnaw at the notion of them always being together and being each others only family ever... For me at least :D 

5 hours ago, Ethelarion said:

http://thelasthearth.com/thread/572/dany

Dany also says that after Darry dies the servants stole their money, but Viserys still has their mother's crown (which he later sells). If they were together during the time of Darry's death, how did Viserys keep the crown when the rest of their money was stolen? Wouldn't the servants have stolen the crown too?

8 minutes ago, Beren_One_Hand said:

Dany also says that after Darry dies the servants stole their money, but Viserys still has their mother's crown (which he later sells). If they were together during the time of Darry's death, how did Viserys keep the crown when the rest of their money was stolen? Wouldn't the servants have stolen the crown too?

Their money was stolen, but not their "last few treasures."

Archived