Nietzsche, The Birth of Tragedy, and A Song of Ice & Fire

Darry Man

I wrote an essay outlining the relationship between Nietzsche's "The Birth of Tragedy" with ASOIAF. It's a bit lengthy, so grab a cup of coffee and have a read if you're interested in philosophy, psychology and mythology.

The introduction is as follows:

I was reading some Nietzsche recently, as one does, and it struck me that his analysis of Greek culture could have immediate relevance to the most notable modern re-configuration of mythology, namely George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire book series. Whether it was a happy accident or divine illumination, I cannot say, and I suppose that doesn’t matter. What matters is that I noticed it and am articulating it with you.

Recent scholarship of the book series found on the ASOIAF forums and the asoiaf sub-reddit have shown that GRRM has secretly but deliberately created a synecdoche of mythology in his fantasy world, featuring heroes, villains, dragons, prophecy and resurrection as key drivers of the narrative.

While the plotline specifics of this story are all Martin’s, the symbols and themes underlying the story are ancient and even primordial. They represent truths hidden behind the artifices of our modern culture such as modern science, skepticism and logic. These truths are the IRL old gods inherent in both nature and our innermost psyche that reveal themselves through various revelation, such as dreams or hallucinogenic episodes.

In this essay, I will attempt to interpret Nietzsche’s thesis that dramatic tragedy is the synthesis of the two primary traditions of the ancient Greek art forms, the Apollinian and the Dionysian, and how this synthesis manifests itself through song. Then I will select two major archetypes revealed in the story of ASOIAF and show the relationship to this Greek tragedy model. Finally, I will try to illustrate how these archetypes merge and underlie the Martin’s grand epic.

With this, I want to give a shout-out to the contributors on this forum. I don't participate nearly as much as I would like, but I have been inspired by a number of you here.

Please feel free to respond to my ideas here or on my wordpress page. I'd appreciate the feedback.

12 minutes ago, Lykos said:

Wow, that looks promising! I like your wallpaper - that's the proper way to harrow the land ;)

Also, you made me think that Aeron Greyjoy might be a reference to Arion of  Lesbos.

Well, hello stranger! Good to see you around here! :)

5 hours ago, Darry Man said:

I wrote an essay outlining the relationship between Nietzsche's "The Birth of Tragedy" with ASOIAF. It's a bit lengthy, so grab a cup of coffee and have a read if you're interested in philosophy, psychology and mythology.

The introduction is as follows:

With this, I want to give a shout-out to the contributors on this forum. I don't participate nearly as much as I would like, but I have been inspired by a number of you here.

Please feel free to respond to my ideas here or on my wordpress page. I'd appreciate the feedback.

Just catching up here from a long days work, but I love this idea and I like essays like this. I shall get to reading it soon. 

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Still reading but very interesting!

And no, you're not the only one who hopes Cleganebowl NEVER happens. :cheers:

Don't get me wrong. It would be quite the spectacle. It just has no thematic purpose, and I'm rooting for Sandor.

I won't be surprised if GoT does it though.

4 hours ago, Lykos said:

Wow, that looks promising! I like your wallpaper - that's the proper way to harrow the land ;)

Also, you made me think that Aeron Greyjoy might be a reference to Arion of  Lesbos.

Ooo, I like this. Definitely a Dionysian, especially with his being kidnapped by pirates and saved by the dolphins.  

Given that Aeron died and returned, there is certainly a connection there. 

I love that plowman image too. Stole it from somewhere, but it's originally from the Luttrell Psalter. Lots of great iconography in that book. http://www.bl.uk/turning-the-pages/?id=a0f935d0-a678-11db-83e4-0050c2490048&type=book

12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, hello stranger! Good to see you around here! :)

Hello, old friend!  I'm never far, though admittedly, I rarely sign in anymore since I'm mostly just reading. :)

Darry Man, I'm not quite finished taking your essay in, I'll try to be back.

8 hours ago, Lykos said:

Hello, old friend!  I'm never far, though admittedly, I rarely sign in anymore since I'm mostly just reading. :)

I'll pm you, we need a little catching up! :cheers:

And hopefully you will be signing in more frequently when we get Winds

8 hours ago, Lykos said:

Darry Man, I'm not quite finished taking your essay in, I'll try to be back.

Ditto! 

Archived