What if Trials by Combat really do prove guilt or innocence?

Seams

7 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

There doesn't need to be time skips, every action in POV doesn't have to be acknowledged and isn't. He didn't plan it, he had the poison on hand, as he does in ADWD. And regardless of if it was Tyrion or not Olenna or any of hers didn't do it, she planned to but Mace's present ended that plan.

So are you saying he poisoned Joffrey or just playing devil's advocate for the sake of it?

The point of a pov is to show you what happens.  Otherwise the author would just have a third person perspective throughout.  You have to have a reason to ignore everything he shows us and invent an alternative sequence of events other than boredom.  There is an argument for a psychologically and physically brutalised Theon to be unaware of his actions (schizophrenia in his case), or a traumatised Sana (terrorisd and in shock), none whatsoever for a fully compos mentis Tyrion to have poisoned Joffrey (despite not having thought about it, planned it or performed it) and be none the wiser.

He totally doesn't remember strangling Shae or shooting his father with a crossbow so you must be on to something here.

1 hour ago, the trees have eyes said:

So are you saying he poisoned Joffrey or just playing devil's advocate for the sake of it?

The point of a pov is to show you what happens.  Otherwise the author would just have a third person perspective throughout.  You have to have a reason to ignore everything he shows us and invent an alternative sequence of events other than boredom.  There is an argument for a psychologically and physically brutalised Theon to be unaware of his actions (schizophrenia in his case), or a traumatised Sana (terrorisd and in shock), none whatsoever for a fully compos mentis Tyrion to have poisoned Joffrey (despite not having thought about it, planned it or performed it) and be none the wiser.

He totally doesn't remember strangling Shae or shooting his father with a crossbow so you must be on to something here.

The reason was already given, he doesn't want to acknowledge what he was doing. GRRM hides as he will regardless of POV style, rusted hinge for example of someone who doesn't want to acknowledge something in POV, promise me Ned for something GRRM simply doesn't want to reveal.

36 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

The reason was already given, he doesn't want to acknowledge what he was doing. GRRM hides as he will regardless of POV style, rusted hinge for example of someone who doesn't want to acknowledge something in POV, promise me Ned for something GRRM simply doesn't want to reveal.

Are you arguing that Tyrion did poison Joffrey?  Just curious to know whether you are or simply playing around here.  You can change every single aspect of the story with that kind of reasoning.  Seems pretty specious to me but each to their own....

5 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

You're right, but I don't think you're going quite far enough. Nobody killed Joffrey. We only have three POVs on that, and none of them are reliable.

Joffrey is, in fact, still alive, and keeps jumping around in front of Cersei demanding that she pay attention to the King, but she doesn't see him. Why? Simple. Because she doesn't want to acknowledge that the son who kept back-talking her and going against her will is still on the Throne instead of nice, pliable Tommen.

Archived