Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sir Hedge of Hog

Jon and the North

24 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

I'd say the show is pushing this narrative though: Jon didn't end up following her because she's Aerys daughter or the "rightful queen" either - he follows her because he too started to believe in her after seeing what she was capable of and willing to do, and this time she was humbled by it.

I think that's intentional. 

Assuming the books are going to have a similar plotline, it's obviously going to run through a number of Dany PoV chapters, which means we're going to see her internal struggle to deal with things. The show can't possibly do things that way. At best, they can have two short conversations—maybe one with Tyrion where she's frustrated, then one with Jon where she makes the breakthrough.

So, how can they fix that? By pushing the narrative—showing other people come to the same conclusion before she does. So we'll already be thinking it. And when she gets there too, it will make sense, rather than looking like a ridiculous breakthrough to get from just one 2-minute chat.

As long as they don't drag it out to long (unlikely, given how little show is left) or sledgehammer us too badly, that could work.

4 minutes ago, falcotron said:

So, how can they fix that? By pushing the narrative—showing other people come to the same conclusion before she does. So we'll already be thinking it. And when she gets there too, it will make sense, rather than looking like a ridiculous breakthrough to get from just one 2-minute chat.

Agreed.

5 hours ago, Sir Hedge of Hog said:

So do u think both of them will survive the war of the dawn and the series?

They might both survive, Jon might sacrifice himself to save Dany and/or the world, Dany might die in childbirth… All three possibilities could work if done well.

5 hours ago, Sir Hedge of Hog said:

What I am going to do with myself for two years I haven't got a clue! 

• Read The Sons of the Dragon when it comes out next month
  • Reread everything in in-universe order—The Rogue Prince, The Princess and the Queen, the Dunk & Egg novellas (the first two have pretty faithful graphic novel adaptations, if you haven't read those yet), the main series (there's an ongoing comic book adaptation of that too, and illustrated novels). I'm not sure where to fit the World book in, so maybe read it multiple times.
  • Read other GRRM stories. Everyone looks to The Ice Dragon first, but if you haven't read his Thousand Worlds stories, they're probably a better fit to ASoIaF.
  • Read some of the stories that influenced GRRM that you haven't read before. I'm sure you've read Lord of the Rings, but what about Children of Hurin? Or Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar series? Clark Ashton-Smith? Roger Zelazny's non-Amber stuff?

Or, if you're not into reading that much:

• Watch GRRM shows—Beauty and the Beast, his Twilight Zone episodes, the Outer Limits version of The Sand Kings
  • Watch other shows with the same actors. And not just the recent or obvious stuff—watch Diana Rigg kicking people in the head in The Avengers, Julian Glover as a spaghetti-headed monster in the highest-rated classic-series Doctor Who story City of Death, Jonathan Pryce's episodes of Whose Line is it Anyway, …
  • There's lots of other TV and film fantasy out there these days. Most of it sucks, but not all of it.

thanks v much. I have pretty much read all of tolkiens works and was a bit of an Tolkien but back in the day (b4 wife and kids) but will check out some of the works of GRRM - I am up to date with the books, although I read them years ago. kinda lost my way a bit as I was not really interested in dany, more of the starks storyline. think I will start with rogue prince....