u.s. politics: molotov cocktail through the overton window

all swedes are racist

19 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

32 million, if the early estimates are to be believed. It won't directly effect my coverage either, but that's hardly the point. I can't take comfort in the fact that some of the folks who voted for these chumps will be screwing themselves when they're dragging down many others who didn't.

But the rules are clear, I certainly don't take comfort in knowing that those 'folks' will wither and die by their own hand, and as I am not being directly affected I simply can't condone any violation of the rules to prevent this bill. 

Don't worry though, you have the right to make a protest. I'm sure that will be effective. 

9 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

But the rules are clear, I certainly don't take comfort in knowing that those 'folks' will wither and die by their own hand, and as I am not being directly affected I simply can't condone any violation of the rules to prevent this bill. 

Don't worry though, you have the right to make a protest. I'm sure that will be effective. 

Who's talking about violating any rules? Other than yourself.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Who's talking about violating any rules? Other than yourself.

I'm just making sure that we're all on the same page that this is going to happen and there's nothing that we can do about it. 

Just now, WinterFox said:

It only has to pass once.

If this passes, those voting yes WILL be subjected to living hell by their own constituents when they head back home for Town Halls.  Actually, it won't matter if they hold Town Halls or not; their lives still become hell. Nor will security measures improve their circumstances.  I posted multiple links to articles on this in the past.  Direct physical violence is highly possible, including fatalities.

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

If this passes, those voting yes WILL be subjected to living hell by their own constituents when they head back home for Town Halls.  Actually, it won't matter if they hold Town Halls or not; their lives still become hell. Nor will security measures improve their circumstances.  I posted multiple links to articles on this in the past.  Direct physical violence is highly possible, including fatalities.

edit: Misread what was said.

Just now, Sword of Doom said:

That's if they even decide to hold town halls.

No.  The ones that tried this last time were harassed at their own homes, as well as during ANY public appearances.  Again, I linked to multiple articles on this.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sounds like you're a fan.

Look, I get that you think some people are being pessimistic but do you (and the other people who keep responding in a similar tone) really think that harassing them about it is the best and most productive response? Can't you just fucking lay off, maybe just not reply and let it sit there ignored if you think its so bad. You consistently refuse to think things are as bad as others do - fine, that's your choice, but please at least try show some empathy for the fact that they're really concerned about the state of the nation.

Its not like there hasn't been a fucking smorgasbord of shit just in the last few days to get you concerned.

Obviously this isn't just directed at you ME, or at this particular interaction. Fairly consistently it seems like more effort is spent shitting on the people on the far left that are very scared than is spent on dealing with the very scary shit coming from the far right. You can take that as an attack, like it has admittedly been in the past including from me, or you can take it like an appeal for empathy which on this occasion it actually is. The only thing that saved the ACA the last time around was John fucking McCain showboating for adulation after he'd just had brain surgery for a tumour. As I understand it he's already indicated support for this particular iteration of the repeal? But even if he hasn't, that's not the most stable foundation for hope, fear is warranted. You're absolutely right that the response to that fear should be action though, not paralysis. Blow up the phones to the Senators again etc.

And here’s your daily reminder that even the smartest among us are still pretty dumb:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/09/trump-lawyer-heard-gossiping-about-russia-probe-at-lunch.html

The Veep is strong in them!

On 9/15/2017 at 0:34 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Hadn't heard anything about the Manning thing, but as far as the Jemele Hill thing goes, of course that is unacceptable behavior by the White House. That said, it has done nothing to impede her freedom of speech. She didn't take down the Tweets and despite apologizing to her employer has continued to post about it on her Twitter feed. The Trump administration has attacked numerous journalists since its' inception. If this had cost her the job, then yes, I would have an issue with this. Had it compelled her to shut up, I'd have an issue with this. As it stands, it's just another ham-handed and futile attempt by the Trump administration to shut up a critic publicly. It's not cool, but it's also not effective. Look at the pushback Huckabee got from the White House Press Corps seconds after she made the statement.

God damn.  Has anyone even read the 1st amendment?  There is more there than Freeze Peach.

On 9/15/2017 at 1:52 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'm curious why we have a Constitution, why don't these religious Presidents just govern by opening random pages of the new Testament?

Its ridiculous to attest atheists are not bound by anything. Just look at the distribution of criminals in the US and you'll find not many of them being atheists. Why is that, when these atheists are apparently some sort of Constitution ignoring mobsters.

http://www.newsweek.com/chaplain-urges-service-members-reject-religious-tolerance-665614

The modern Crusade of the "Religion of the Prince of Peace" doesn't need you stinking Constitution anymore.

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

Look, I get that you think some people are being pessimistic but do you (and the other people who keep responding in a similar tone) really think that harassing them about it is the best and most productive response? Can't you just fucking lay off, maybe just not reply and let it sit there ignored if you think its so bad. You consistently refuse to think things are as bad as others do - fine, that's your choice, but please at least try show some empathy for the fact that they're really concerned about the state of the nation.

Its not like there hasn't been a fucking smorgasbord of shit just in the last few days to get you concerned.

Obviously this isn't just directed at you ME, or at this particular interaction. Fairly consistently it seems like more effort is spent shitting on the people on the far left that are very scared than is spent on dealing with the very scary shit coming from the far right. You can take that as an attack, like it has admittedly been in the past including from me, or you can take it like an appeal for empathy which on this occasion it actually is. The only thing that saved the ACA the last time around was John fucking McCain showboating for adulation after he'd just had brain surgery for a tumour. As I understand it he's already indicated support for this particular iteration of the repeal? But even if he hasn't, that's not the most stable foundation for hope, fear is warranted. You're absolutely right that the response to that fear should be action though, not paralysis. Blow up the phones to the Senators again etc.

I'm the harasser in this case? I posted up a simple summary of the "new" bill (which as near as I can tell is the same shit sandwich, only in a different wrapper) and Winterfox comes in and tries to somehow connect the dots between this issue and my general stance on non-violence. Not sure how that relates to healthcare. 

38 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Prolly not political enough for this thread, but Sean Spicer showing up to mock himself/Trump at the Emmys may have been the funniest thing to come out of the mass convergence of shit that's been happening since 2016.

The guy is a repulsive propagandist and unrepentantly complicit in a lot of garbage, he should not be let in on the jokes. 

47 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Prolly not political enough for this thread, but Sean Spicer showing up to mock himself/Trump at the Emmys may have been the funniest thing to come out of the mass convergence of shit that's been happening since 2016.

His redemption tour is bullshit -- he worked as the propaganda mouth-piece of an administration that is destroying social norms and actively making life worse for much of the country (to the delight of white supremacist supporting, leaning, and sympathizing groups). See: DACA, Travel ban, Hitler apologia (he never stooped to using chemical weapons - :stillsick:), ACA-repeal efforts, upcoming tax reform (aka handouts to wealthier Americans), etc. etc.

http://jezebel.com/complicit-1818507213 

@Morpheus :cheers:

Archived