Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

22 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I finished American Gods today, and I absolutely loved it - from the first scene to the last.  The climax of season 8 was fantastic. It's been 15 years since I read the book, so I'm not sure how faithful the adaptation was, and I don't care.  I really liked Ricky Whittle, Pablo Schreiber, Orlando Jones (would have loved to have seen more of him, I didn't even recognize him) in their roles, and of course McShane knocked it out of the park.  Browning didn't wow me though, she always seems to be scowling... 

Last night I watch The Cockney King Arthur, and it was just as bad as everybody said it was.  I liked bits of it here and there, but it felt like a mash up of The Ten Commandments, Lock Stock, and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.  Not good.  I was horribly bored by the end...

Browning annoyed the hell outta me at first, but she really grew on me. Her and Mad Sweeney managed to steal the show from Ian McShane for me--and that ain't no easy feat!

I thought King Arthur was ambitious and it went for something a little different with its use of montages, but ultimately the cons outweighed the pros. Very skippable unless you're a die-hard genre fan.

On 9/18/2017 at 8:35 PM, Veltigar said:

Just finished The Lost City of Z by James Grey, starring Sienna Miller, Charlie Hunnan and Robert Pattinson. I can't believe I haven't seen more discussion about this online, it really is a great film...

I wanted to see this in the theater, but it got booted out almost immediately here, so I'm very glad to hear this! I noticed it was just added to AZN Prime, so I'll be checking it out soon.

13 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

On 9/19/2017 at 11:52 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

On 9/18/2017 at 9:35 PM, Veltigar said:

Just finished The Lost City of Z by James Grey, starring Sienna Miller, Charlie Hunnan and Robert Pattinson. I can't believe I haven't seen more discussion about this online, it really is a great film..

It was a most satisfying film to watch for many reasons, not least is that it functioned like an adventure film in the fine old school manner, of the kind that reached its zenith with Lawrence of Arabia, yet is subtly updated with contemporary perspective.  I particularly admired how well the film fell into more than two sections, but at least four, without feeling rushed or shoe-horned.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

It was a most satisfying film to watch for many reasons, not least is that it functioned like an adventure film in the fine old school manner, of the kind that reached its zenith with Lawrence of Arabia, yet is subtly updated with contemporary perspective.  I particularly admired how well the film fell into more than two sections, but at least four, without feeling rushed or shoe-horned.

I'm glad someone else also saw it :) I hope it gets a lot of love at the awards, because this definitely didn't get the audience it deserved unfortunately. 

17 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I wanted to see this in the theater, but it got booted out almost immediately here, so I'm very glad to hear this! I noticed it was just added to AZN Prime, so I'll be checking it out soon.

Let us know what you think :D 

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

not least is that it functioned like an adventure film in the fine old school manner

Will watch it tonight.  (It was already in my amazon queue, and as I stated in the trailer thread, I think there has been way too few adventure films lately.)

46 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Will watch it tonight.  (It was already in my amazon queue, and as I stated in the trailer thread, I think there has been way too few adventure films lately.)

The sad thing is that even when they release a great adventure film people don't flock towards it :( If all of us on here watch it, we'll probably double the number of people who have watched this film. Even critics largely ignored it I feel (or at least the lowbrow variety like Stuckmann and Jahns).

I watched The Hood Maker, the first episode of the Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams anthology. I thought it was a good piece of dystopian SF, although there's a limit to how complex a story they can tell in an hour so there weren't any big surprises. It couldn't help but be a bit reminiscent of Blade Runner and Minority Report at times, but I guess if any series is allowed to then this should be. I did like the way they portrayed the telepaths, the first interrogation Honor does was a particularly good scene. I thought Holliday Grainger was very good as Honor, Richard Madden also put in a solid performance.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

The sad thing is that even when they release a great adventure film people don't flock towards it :( If all of us on here watch it, we'll probably double the number of people who have watched this film. Even critics largely ignored it I feel (or at least the lowbrow variety like Stuckmann and Jahns).

It got a lot of attention in the NY Times and some other NYC pubs.  Which is why I wanted to see it -- because of what they said.  But we know the sorts who read the NY Times, and they are not the mass audience -- I guess?  The trailers were also attractive.

I don't think I count, as you say.  I hardly ever, if ever, go to the sorts of box office hits.  Mostly the small films, lots of indies, foreign films.  And by now I hate going to theaters so much I prefer to wait and watch on dvd or streaming for almost anything.  I saw Turner in a theater, for instance, because the subject is so much about visuals, and the theater actually did a good job of projection. So few do these days, but it is an 'art' house.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, Werthead said:

American Vandal is very good, much better than I was expecting. The tonal variation towards the end is handled well and it ends up exploring High School relationships very well. Plus it's quite funny.

Finished the last few episodes the other day. I enjoyed this as well after taking a chance on it. The shift halfway through the series to darker and more serious subject matter was handled very well, without losing the humor of the series.

On 2017-09-19 at 3:35 AM, Veltigar said:

Just finished The Lost City of Z by James Grey, starring Sienna Miller, Charlie Hunnan and Robert Pattinson. I can't believe I haven't seen more discussion about this online, it really is a great film. And here I was thinking that 2017 was quite a bad year for films (well, I actually still think that to be honest, but at least we got this one and Logan). 

The film really feels like a throwback to an older kind of film. Some of the better reviews I read described it as a cross between one of those epic New Hollywood films of the 1970s and a David Lean epic. I can see where they got that from, although I feel like its a lot closer to David Lean in feeling than New Hollywood, without actively copying it.

The story of Fawcett's obsession is staggerinly well-portrayed, the actors all gave great performances. I never really payed much attention to Charlien Hunnan before, but he was really good in this. And Robert Pattinson was a revalation. I knew he was in this and I knew which character he was playing and I still had trouble recognising him. That was a really great performance I have to say. The lighting and cinematography was really beautiful. I can't really remember any of Grey's other films, but here he really displays great attention to detail. I wish more directors put this much care in their craft. I definitely warmly recommend this one.

I really liked this one too, it's one of my favourite movies so far this year. And it is certainly one of Charlie Hunnam's best performances.

I watched Baywatch last night, and I enjoyed the hell out of that movie.  Don't get me wrong, it was fucking terrible, idiot, and sophomoric, but it knew that and embraced it.

After that I watched The Lost CIty of Z last night and thought it was fantastic.  Wonderful movie with an amazing ending.  

On 9/18/2017 at 7:35 PM, Veltigar said:

And Robert Pattinson was a revalation.

Everytime he was on screen, all I could think was that he was, "there's low-rent Hugh Jackman."  

Just finished the finale of Sinner.  That was quite a good little show.  Can anybody explain the meaning of

the final shot with Detective Ambrose looking at his hand with two half black fingernails?

You're the Worst has been killing it this season, with this week's being the best so far.

I watched 3:10 to Yuma for the first time in years. Still a fun little western that mostly holds up. A few eye-rolling moments but nothing too bad. You can't really go wrong with Bale and Crowe as your leads, and as always Ben Foster plays a great maniac. Is the original worth a view?

Glad so many enjoy The Lost City of Z. It's been on my radar but I just never watched it yet.

16 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Just finished the finale of Sinner.  That was quite a good little show.  Can anybody explain the meaning of

Hide contents

the final shot with Detective Ambrose looking at his hand with two half black fingernails?

Call back to the pilot where he was doing the same thing when watching Sharon through the binoculars. Think that was the first time we met him. Ultimately, think it's to show that there is some backstory there (likely some trauma that has fucked him up and it's how he recognized the trauma in Cora's story) and that Ambrose's story isn't finished.

Really enjoyed The Sinner as well. Good story, good acting.

Today we went to a little Horror Con in NJ... Sean Astin and Kerri Green were there signing autographs, and the did a Goonies Panel... Astin told a story where by the end of the film, the director Richard Donner had had his fill of the mostly child cast... and was heard saying something to the effect of "I can't wait to be away from these kids and go to Hawaii" ... So after the film wrapped, Donner indeed went to Hawaii, only to find all the kids waiting for him at the airport... Speilberg --as a practical joke-- sent all the kids to the same hotel he was staying at... according to Astin..., Donner looked defeated...lol 

Beyoncé's HBO feature length music video Lemonade.

Holy cow.  This is amazing.  Every visual bit has significance if one can read it, just as with reading African religions' altars. The passion!  Not to mention, the pity -- New Orleans.

I watched the first season of Dark Matter when it originally aired then forgot about it.  Currently I'm binge watching it.  I finished the second season, and now I'm half way through the third.  The characters are fun to watch, even more so now that One is gone.  However, the show is frustrating in that it seems to have no plot goals.  There seems to be a constant build up toward the corporate war, yet it never arrives.  As a result, I feel like I have watched a season and a half of filler episodes.

I've been watching Endeavour on Amazon Prime.  Really enjoying it through 3 of 4 seasons.  I'm pretty sure it's a prequel to some long standing series.  I might look for that when I'm done with season 4.  

There's certainly things are explanations for long-standing things in that series - when he got shot in season 1 and the doctor said he would "probably have a limp later in life" and the fact that Morse definitely marries Thursday's daughter - I knew that the first time she was introduced, when she opened the door and told to come in, while he wanted to wait outside, and she replied, "Maybe you should do what you're told."  And even though she was last seen leaving town at the end of season three, the fact that Morse seemed to finally be thinking about her that way only reaffirms my belief.  I hope that Trewlove (that's a freaking Bond movie name

:lol: ) is still around in the other series, okay it was bothering me enough that I went and looked it up, looks like it's just called  Inspector Morse (didn't look up anything else about it though).  

On 9/22/2017 at 9:55 PM, Nictarion said:

I thought I was the only one that watches this. My gf doesn't get what I see in it, but I really dig it. The two leads are both great. 

It's an excellent show.  Tell your girlfriend to embrace the title of the show.  Once you do that it's an amazing ride.  Edgar doesn't really fit, although after the end of this week's maybe they're setting him up for big things this season.  Those last two scenes with him this week were phenomenal.

On 9/23/2017 at 0:46 PM, Mexal said:

Reveal hidden contents

Call back to the pilot where he was doing the same thing when watching Sharon through the binoculars. Think that was the first time we met him. Ultimately, think it's to show that there is some backstory there (likely some trauma that has fucked him up and it's how he recognized the trauma in Cora's story) and that Ambrose's story isn't finished.

Really enjoyed The Sinner as well. Good story, good acting.

Thanks.  

He's definitely not right in the head with all they showed regarding his marriage. Probably won't ever get to see into his past though. Have they said if the show is definitively one season?  I know they were calling it a limited series, but imdb lists it as 2017-____.  Maybe they're thinking about an anthology like 

Fargo and True Detective? I'm not sure how well it did relative to expected viewership though, but it was well received by critics.

Haven't gotten to Lost City of Z yet, but I did see Kingsmen: The Golden Circle. It's one of those films where the great trailer did the film a big disservice by spoiling some really great reveals. The film is clunky on pacing, too long by about 15 minutes, and overly sentimental about its characters. However, it's got three very solid action pieces, a different take on the war on drugs, and pretty much the best celebrity cameo since Zombieland.

I just caught up with Rick and Morty. I don't know about this one honestly. There is some really great stuff in there, but there is also a lot that just doesn't hold my interest. When you're able to binge that's not that bad, but I don't know whether I'd be willing and able to keep up with this on a weekly basis. 

On 25-9-2017 at 6:09 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

I've been watching Endeavour on Amazon Prime.  Really enjoying it through 3 of 4 seasons.  I'm pretty sure it's a prequel to some long standing series.  I might look for that when I'm done with season 4.  

Reveal hidden contents

There's certainly things are explanations for long-standing things in that series - when he got shot in season 1 and the doctor said he would "probably have a limp later in life" and the fact that Morse definitely marries Thursday's daughter - I knew that the first time she was introduced, when she opened the door and told to come in, while he wanted to wait outside, and she replied, "Maybe you should do what you're told."  And even though she was last seen leaving town at the end of season three, the fact that Morse seemed to finally be thinking about her that way only reaffirms my belief.  I hope that Trewlove (that's a freaking Bond movie name

:lol: ) is still around in the other series, okay it was bothering me enough that I went and looked it up, looks like it's just called  Inspector Morse (didn't look up anything else about it though).  

Endeavour is the prequel to Morse. I also really like it, Shaun Evans (I think that's his name) is really great in it. I actually think that Endeavour's pilot is the best murder mystery episode ever made, but then again I had no knowledge of the standard Morse format beforehand.

As to your spoiler

Spoiler

I don't actually know if they eventually end up getting married. They hint about it so much that it seems bound to happen. However, the one thing I do know about Morse is that he ends up as quite a miserable sod. Perhaps this is just the one that got away or something. I do hope they end up together though, I really liked the actress playing her :) 

On 23-9-2017 at 8:38 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I watched 3:10 to Yuma for the first time in years. Still a fun little western that mostly holds up. A few eye-rolling moments but nothing too bad. You can't really go wrong with Bale and Crowe as your leads, and as always Ben Foster plays a great maniac. Is the original worth a view?

Love 3:10 to Yuma. I have never seen the original though, so I can't help :)

On 23-9-2017 at 8:38 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Glad so many enjoy The Lost City of Z. It's been on my radar but I just never watched it yet.

Put you back into it and get it over with, we'll save that film from undeserved obscurity together :)

On 22-9-2017 at 4:42 PM, GallowKnight said:

I really liked this one too, it's one of my favourite movies so far this year. And it is certainly one of Charlie Hunnam's best performances.

This is turning into a love-in :)

On 23-9-2017 at 4:36 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

fter that I watched The Lost CIty of Z last night and thought it was fantastic.  Wonderful movie with an amazing ending.  

Everytime he was on screen, all I could think was that he was, "there's low-rent Hugh Jackman."  

Glad you liked it :) I don't understand your criticism on Pattinson though, I really thought he was great :)

On 24-9-2017 at 4:14 AM, Zorral said:

Beyoncé's HBO feature length music video Lemonade.

Holy cow.  This is amazing.  Every visual bit has significance if one can read it, just as with reading African religions' altars. The passion!  Not to mention, the pity -- New Orleans.

Still need to see this :) I really liked Formation, so if the whole album is like that I'd be really happy :)  Shame that it is so hard to find

Archived