Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

22 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

This leads me to ask who is the best recurring Curb character? I'm gonna give it to Funk man with a slight edge over Richard Lewis. Can't go wrong with Leon and Danson, as well.

Leon gets my vote. Larry's dad is always great too. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Leon gets my vote. Larry's dad is always great too. 

Nat is awesome. Larry's cousin (his name is slipping my mind) has a couple solid episodes. I think the actor's name is Richard Kind. The ep where his wife tries to sell the hats and shirts is classic. He's also in one of my favorite eps of the series, the Black Swan.

ETA: Cousin Andy. According to imdb he's in 4 eps. He's also in the Smoking Jacket.

52 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Nat is awesome. Larry's cousin (his name is slipping my mind) has a couple solid episodes. I think the actor's name is Richard Kind. The ep where his wife tries to sell the hats and shirts is classic. He's also in one of my favorite eps of the series, the Black Swan.

ETA: Cousin Andy. According to imdb he's in 4 eps. He's also in the Smoking Jacket.

He's also in The Special Section, which is a great episode as well. The beginning with Larry shooting the Scorsese movie kills me every time. :lol:

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

He's also in The Special Section, which is a great episode as well. The beginning with Larry shooting the Scorsese movie kills me every time. :lol:

Haha yeah it's great. Telling everyone off and throwing money at them lol.

16 hours ago, williamjm said:

I watched the film Anthropoid on Netflix, in which Cillian Murphy and Jamie Dornan play two WW2 Czech resistance fighters in occupied Prague on a mission to assassinate SS General Reynard Heydrich. I thought it was a very effective film, it's extremely tense throughout even if I knew what the outcome was going to be. It's got a bleak tone, at one point Murphy's character tells another to abandon any romantic notions about the heroism of resistance, I think despite that it does have moments of genuine heroism but it's also unflinching in showing the cost that has to be paid.

I may have to check this one out when I get a chance. Wondering how it compares to the 1975 film Operation Daybreak.

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

I may have to check this one out when I get a chance. Wondering how it compares to the 1975 film Operation Daybreak.

I've not seen that one, so can't compare. Weirdly, I just found out that there's another film called The Man With The Iron Heart coming out this year about the same plot, apparently it was scheduled to come out last year but was pushed back so it wouldn't clash with Anthropoid. It's almost as if there's something about the state of the world today that means films about resistance against Nazis would feel topical.

38 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I've not seen that one, so can't compare. Weirdly, I just found out that there's another film called The Man With The Iron Heart coming out this year about the same plot, apparently it was scheduled to come out last year but was pushed back so it wouldn't clash with Anthropoid. It's almost as if there's something about the state of the world today that means films about resistance against Nazis would feel topical.

I liked Operation Daybreak. Not entirely accurate but close enough. Great ending. Of course the true story of Heydrich's assassination is interesting enough without any added dramatization.

I've liked all of Cillian Murphy's work to date so kept my eye on this film. Unfortunately, it met with mixed reviews so I'm just waiting for it to premiere on a premium channel.

Stalker by Tarkovsky. Hmm... This divided me a bit. One of the most influential and regarded directors but this film just didn't do it for my taste. The cinematography was great, no doubt, and the shots and locations were gritty and real. But I'm a story driven watcher and this film kind of had neither a meaty story nor any compelling characters you could ponder with and about. 

And this movie is from 1979 so it's not really breaking any new ground regarding european arthouse films. I know boring is a word that's thrown around a bit too much now a days, but I'd actually say this movie was boring from bit to bit. It's kind of a high concept film that could have been something, but the characters weren't compelling enough and there was no pay-off from the story. Therefore I'd say this is a bit of overrated and I've definitely seen better europen movies and better movies from the 70's. 

I was thinking about diving into Tarkovsky's ouevre but now I might look elsewhere. Anyone seen Stalker and has an opinion about it? Am I not seeing the masterpiece that it actually is? European cinema has a lot of other things to offer. Like French example. 

The other one is Spider-Man: Homecoming. I had high expectations and it did not live up to them. They say this is the most faitful Spider-Man but in no way did I feel that. Tobey's first two movies are a lot better, both regarding Peter Parker and Spider-Man story and development. Was Tom Holland good? He was, but this was just another middle of the road-Marvel movie. Their most popular and debatably most interesting superhero and it just feels like a movie we've seen before. I had higher hopes for Marvel's Spider-Man and I don't know if it's some kind of marvel fatigue that is kicking in. Now they really have a chance to make something original. Instead they bring in Tony Stark again, makes Spider-Mans costume a ludicrous Stark-copy and has barely any development for villain or protagonist. It was entertaining and fun from time to time, but there wasn't a good story enough considering the potential they had for this. 

I watched Silence last night. Great film, wonderful cinematography, but could've been 30 minutes shorter. Andrew Garfield has grown on me as an actor. I was impressed with his acting in both this and Hacksaw Ridge. A noble effort trying to capture the desperation, isolation and futility the reader feels in Endo's novel.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

I watched Silence last night. Great film, wonderful cinematography, but could've been 30 minutes shorter. Andrew Garfield has grown on me as an actor. I was impressed with his acting in both this and Hacksaw Ridge. A noble effort trying to capture the desperation, isolation and futility the reader feels in Endo's novel.

One of my favourites from last year. I felt the length was intentional as it wore you down in much the way the characters in the film were.

Garfield still comes off as very samey in his roles but much like Tom Hanks, he has a great earnest likeability surrounding him which suited him so well in the films you mentioned. I think it's a strength he brought to Spider-man too although he did suffer from being a little annoying at times in the spidey films.

I've just watched a great BBC documentary called "Chris Packham: asperger's and me". People from the UK will know him as a celebrity nature doc presenter who always seemed quirky but has made this documentary as a "coming out" story. It's absolutely fascinating and it's commendable how brutally honest he is throughout the film. He admits he loves his dogs more than people because they are less complicated and when they are happy he's happy. Lots of other great moments too and it's interesting to see how he used his form of autism to be successful and live a rewarding life - even if it just provides him with enough money to live on his own (with his dogs) in the middle of a forest.

Watched the first ep of Mindhunters. The serial killer stuff intrigues me so I'll keep watching. So far so good.

Third ep of Curb was good as well. I don't think it's possible for me to ever hate an episode of Curb. Possibly a couple season 5 eps that aren't up to par, but not too many. I can see the Fatwa stuff starting to get old but we'll see how heavily it's involved the rest of the season. 

I don't know if it's 'cause I'm high as fuck or what, but this Neegan dude has like captured the perfect level of hilarious mustache twirling villain on 'The Walking Dead'. It's fucking awful, but i'm kind of having fun.

Archived