Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

Man with the Iron Heart: Excellent film with Jason Clarke as Reinhard Heydrich, the monstrous subject of an assassination attempt in 1942. Very powerful film this. I wonder if the other film on this subject, Anthropoid, could possibly be as good. 

Allied, with Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard. Another superb WW2 film that captivated me from start to finish. 

Blade Runner 2049: Overlong and I didn't enjoy the excursion to the factory section, but also in many parts a very interesting film. First half excellent.

Nocturnal Animals. Very good thriller and emotional story.

The Light Between Oceans: And yet another excellent film with Fassbender and Vikander in the lead. Worth seeing this, romantic drama.

Now watching Marco Polo season 2. Took a while to get into it after it had been more than a year after I saw season 1 but a strong season once again.

11 hours ago, briantw said:

Holy shit was Curb amazing tonight.  

They've been killing it this whole season, but last night's was a step above.  The look on Jeff's face when

Suzzie said he was the only one who could hold onto a woman

:lmao: 

I watched Louis Theroux's Scientology documentary last night. I can take or leave Theroux generally, he covers some interesting stuff but he tends to be a bit overly manipulative, but it was pretty entertaining watching him turn the tables on the Scientologists sent to harass him.

16 hours ago, briantw said:

Holy shit was Curb amazing tonight.  

Spoiler

I rewatched the part when Marty "broke up" with Larry and they were both trying to get the last word in, and Marty backed into the kitchenware at the end. Good shit! 

Jeff's reactions are always great. I love watching everyone's reactions when Larry is going wild.

I finished Season 3 (the final season) of Red Oaks on Amazon. You know what you're getting if you've seen the first 2 season. A classic 80s coming of age type story that hit all the right nostalgia buttons for me. I was disappointed seeing that this season was only 6 episodes long. When the finale rolled around, I thought it was odd how all the storylines wrapped up.. and lo and behold, that was the final episode. Oh well. It satisfied what I was looking for throughout it's run.

I think I'll go on to Shameless or Patriot next. 

I've tried watching Rogue One and Blade Runner three times now. Fell asleep all 6 times. I guess I've just got to give up and let that one go or else watch them on a Saturday morning. I wanted to like both movies too...

On 11/6/2017 at 6:04 PM, Ramsay B. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I rewatched the part when Marty "broke up" with Larry and they were both trying to get the last word in, and Marty backed into the kitchenware at the end. Good shit! 

Jeff's reactions are always great. I love watching everyone's reactions when Larry is going wild.

Spoiler

When Funkhouser snaps and goes off on the water at the end, I was fucking dying.  "It's like I took a straw and put it in a frog's ass!"  :lol:

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've tried watching Rogue One and Blade Runner three times now. Fell asleep all 6 times. I guess I've just got to give up and let that one go or else watch them on a Saturday morning. I wanted to like both movies too...

Rogue One I disliked a lot. Blade Runner was much better though.

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Rogue One I disliked a lot. Blade Runner was much better though.

Well the problem for both is that I’ve watched them late at night after throwing a few back, hence why I said I probably need to watch them in the morning on a rainy Saturday.

I'm halfway through the first season of Amazon's Patriot. I thought this was going to be light-hearted comedy drama but my initial feel for the season was that it was similar to Fargo S1 (though not nearly as good and without the marquee lineup).

Now after going through 6 episodes, this show has much more of a Coen's brothers feel to it. Like an amalgamation of multiple pieces of their work. I'm actually surprised they were not involved in the story or production of it. 

The story follows a disenfranchised and rather depressed spy on "just one more mission" as he deals with absurd situations in his undercover life as well as his missions to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons. The show is black comedy / dramady, with quirky side characters and genuine humor perhaps reminiscent of Burn After Reading and maybe The Big Lebowski. I haven't seen Inside Llewyn Davis, but there's even a strong melancholy folk music component to the plot -- not just as part of the show's soundtrack. 

I'm enjoying it. If you like the humor and style of the Coen's brothers or maybe even Sneaky Pete, I think you'll like this too.

11 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Ep 5 of the current season of Curb was hands down best ep this season. The Revolutionary War re-enactment was brilliant!

I'd agree with you if I hadn't already seen E6. Episode five is fantastic, but the whole car washing, accidental texting, airplane, friend "Break ups," just everything is classic Curb. 

The Dark Tower movie was a crushing disappointment. The kid playing Jake was just bland. Idris Elba did an alright job of Roland. But overall it just felt like a pointless waste of time.

I also saw Finding Nemo for the first time, which was...fine I guess. And Inside Out which I thought was a bit smarter and more thought provoking. 

I've been slowly working my way through Deep Space Nine again.  I'm on season 5 right now, and soooo many good episodes.

And I'm also not so slowly rewatching The Last Kingdom, I watched the amazing episode 5 last night.  I can't believe these episodes clock in at under an hour, there's so much packed into each one.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:58 PM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I'd agree with you if I hadn't already seen E6. Episode five is fantastic, but the whole car washing, accidental texting, airplane, friend "Break ups," just everything is classic Curb. 

6 was great. Episodes 5 & 6 are the class of this season imo. Coincidentally, they have nothing to do with Fatwa.

I went to see Blade Runner 2049 today, in a new theatre I hadn't been to before. The theatre was very cosy, so I was already very pleased, but holy fuck the film was amazing. I have gone on record before bashing the original Blade Runner (still one of the most overrated pieces of garbage in the canon imo) and after Sicario (horrible piece of shit as well) I soured on Villeneuve, but boy did this film redeem both Blade Runner as a property and Villeneuve as a director.

Roger Deakins cinematography was sumply glorious. The acting was on point, Ryan Gosling is definitely one of the best actors we have running around. The story was intriguing without being pretentious and I keep on praising it really. I was deeply impressed. If I weren't so damn tired I'd write an essay in the praise of the film I guess.

Also saw the trailer to You Were Never Really Here by Lyn Ramsay... Looking forward to that one :D

Archived