Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

26 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Roger Deakins cinematography was sumply glorious. The acting was on point, Ryan Gosling is definitely one of the best actors we have running around. The story was intriguing without being pretentious and I keep on praising it really. I was deeply impressed. If I weren't so damn tired I'd write an essay in the praise of the film I guess.

How was the sound?  So many have told me that the film was so loud, and unrelenting in the volume, that they had to leave, their heads hurt so much -- which kept me away from watching it in a theater.  I'm so subjected to unrelenting loud noise as it is -- and have too many headaches as it is.

I am aware that more often than one might expect, it is the theaters themselves that are at fault with the noise and volume of a film's soundtrack.  They have no idea and even less interest in balance, etc.  The studios supposedly do send out instructions for this, I've been told.  Some directors, either themselves or teams they've appointed, go to check the big cineplexes for films they deeply care for, since the audio is as much a part of the mix as the length of scenes.

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Yesterday we went to see The Killing of Sacred Deer .... I have no idea what i had just sat through... weird doesn't begin to describe it...

So was it good? I do like weird and it's been on my radar for a while now, but I don't think it's playing anywhere close to me.

51 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

So was it good? I do like weird and it's been on my radar for a while now, but I don't think it's playing anywhere close to me.

Honestly?.... and I'm not trying to be a dick here... but i don't know... I think if I had dropped acid it would have been great...

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

How was the sound?  So many have told me that the film was so loud, and unrelenting in the volume, that they had to leave, their heads hurt so much -- which kept me away from watching it in a theater.  I'm so subjected to unrelenting loud noise as it is -- and have too many headaches as it is.

I am aware that more often than one might expect, it is the theaters themselves that are at fault with the noise and volume of a film's soundtrack.  They have no idea and even less interest in balance, etc.  The studios supposedly do send out instructions for this, I've been told.  Some directors, either themselves or teams they've appointed, go to check the big cineplexes for films they deeply care for, since the audio is as much a part of the mix as the length of scenes.

The sound did not bother me personally. The film definitely makes use of a soundscape that is meant to be grand and overwhelming at times, but it wasn't as over-the-top as say Interstellar was imo. If you could sit through the latter, then Blade Runner 2049 should definitely be fine for you. You're definitely missing out if you skip this one. I would suggest finding a decent theatre to wacth it in, so that any chance at sound-related mishaps are kept as low as possible  ;) 

Tbqh, I found Blade Runner just as bad as Interstellar, probably even moreso at times, and I know I'm not the only one. While it presumably does vary from cinema to cinema about just how bad it is, I've seen far too many complaints from people all over the world to think it's just a theatre issue- they definitely misjudged the soundmix. I didn't personally find it uncomfortable (except in the sense that all cinemas are pitched slightly too loud for my comfort and it takes a little while to adjust), but I did find it annoying.

I found the loud, unrelenting and upsetting sound levels to be one of my favourite parts of the movie. It really caused a sort of emotional impact in my soul as I watching it. I feel like its on purpose. I want movies to have an emotional and physical effect on me, and BladeRunner managed that. 

On 11/12/2017 at 11:09 AM, Zorral said:

Thank you, all of you, for describing your experiences with the film's sound levels.  I'm still debating . . . .

I'd definitely recommend seeing it in a theater before it's totally gone. If you're a cinephile/filmbuff then you're doing yourself a great disservice by not experiencing this film in a theater. I saw it in IMAX 2D and was blown away. I'd describe the sound as enveloping and not overpowering. I wish I could've caught it in 3D, but there are no more screenings in my area. And if there are no more 3D or IMAX shows in your area, then still see it in standard format That's actually the format the film's cinematographer recommends seeing it in.

Side note, the debate about sound being "too loud" in this thread is cracking me up. People in here obviously never used Maxell cassette tapes back in the day.

Honestly more than anything Blade Runner is an audio visual treat, I would definitely experience that in as large a screen as possible, its beautiful. I don't think the story is all that great but it had such an effect on me on a purely aesthetic level that I would recommend everyone see it in a theatre.

Wind River was one of the surprise hits of the year for me. Tyler Sheridan's scripts just keep getting better for me and he's shaping up to be a competent director - his functional style reminds me of some of Eastwood's work.

Great modern "western" and bleak. Did not know cold weather could do those things to a body.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

Wind River was one of the surprise hits of the year for me. Tyler Sheridan's scripts just keep getting better for me and he's shaping up to be a competent director - his functional style reminds me of some of Eastwood's work.

Great modern "western" and bleak. Did not know cold weather could do those things to a body.

It's on the way from netflix to my dvd player within a day or two.

50 minutes ago, red snow said:

My favorite film of the year so far.  

31 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched In Bruges for the first time recently and it lived up to the hype. Brendan Gleeson is such a great actor. 

I agree with the Taylor Sheridan praise. I'll see any movie written by him.

I rewatched In Bruges recently getting hyped for Three Billboards. So good. 

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Agreed, this was overlooked by a lot of people in the US when it hit theaters. It's a great mystery/drama with solid performances, and well paced directing. And that flashback...

...Where John Bernthal crushed it and damn near stole the movie was a great surprise for me. I had zero idea he was in this movie and just the way it was edited in was brilliant. You're thinking this character is a scumbag and likely murderer for most of the film and then boom. It all changes and in a very natural, believable way. This film, and that whole sequence leading up to and following the flashback was a great example of wonderful writing, directing, and performance.

8 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Our latest binge was Fortitude S1  & S2.... Richard Dormer (Beric Dondarrion)... Michele Fairly (Catelyn Stark)... Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) ... Stanley Tucci... Dennis Quaid 

Good Show

Damn, that looks amazing! Why have I not heard of this? 

*researches online*

Oh, it's because it's on Amazon Prime in the US. They're the worst about promo. Definitely adding this to my watchlist.

Archived