Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

I only watched s1 of Fortitude. I was a bit turned off by the ending of s1 and never bothered with s2.

Continuing Damnation. Entertaining. The main characters are bit extreme, but the story is interesting: 1930s labor movement during the Great Depression. The haves v. the have nots.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:41 AM, polishgenius said:

Tbqh, I found Blade Runner just as bad as Interstellar, probably even moreso at times, and I know I'm not the only one. While it presumably does vary from cinema to cinema about just how bad it is, I've seen far too many complaints from people all over the world to think it's just a theatre issue- they definitely misjudged the soundmix. I didn't personally find it uncomfortable (except in the sense that all cinemas are pitched slightly too loud for my comfort and it takes a little while to adjust), but I did find it annoying.

Really didn't bother me at all. Knew about it going in but never felt the issue that I had seen people talking about. I thought Interstellar was infinitely worse. 

11 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Agreed, this was overlooked by a lot of people in the US when it hit theaters. It's a great mystery/drama with solid performances, and well paced directing. And that flashback...

Reveal hidden contents

...Where John Bernthal crushed it and damn near stole the movie was a great surprise for me. I had zero idea he was in this movie and just the way it was edited in was brilliant. You're thinking this character is a scumbag and likely murderer for most of the film and then boom. It all changes and in a very natural, believable way. This film, and that whole sequence leading up to and following the flashback was a great example of wonderful writing, directing, and performance.

Damn, that looks amazing! Why have I not heard of this? 

*researches online*

Oh, it's because it's on Amazon Prime in the US. They're the worst about promo. Definitely adding this to my watchlist.

I agree that flashback scene was expertly handled from the way it debuted to the unexpected twists and the horror of it.

Fortitude has a similar "cold" feel to it! I was dubious they could extend the show into a second show but they pulled it off.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Continuing Damnation. Entertaining. The main characters are bit extreme, but the story is interesting: 1930s labor movement during the Great Depression. The haves v. the have nots.

I love Damnation so far... I started a thread about it and no one responded...lol.. I thought I was the only one watching

9 hours ago, Isis said:

I watched Alien Covenant on my flight home yesterday and it was far better than I expected it to be. Everything...made sense?

I just couldn't take it seriously after the flute scene.  I was fucking dying at the dialogue in that scene, and it was even funnier because you know it wasn't supposed to be funny.

"Watch me...I'll do the fingering."  :lol:

I felt like that scene was funny and entertaining on numerous levels. I pretty much gave up after Prometheus and I expected to hate everything about this film but I actually enjoyed watching it on a really basic sci fi level. I liked the genetic engineering stuff on David's part, he was so excited about creating the perfect xenomorph. I admired his passion. 

16 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Damn, that looks amazing! Why have I not heard of this? 

*researches online*

Oh, it's because it's on Amazon Prime in the US. They're the worst about promo. Definitely adding this to my watchlist.

I thought the first season of Fortitude was good, not watched the second yet. It's was a much weirder story than I originally expected it to be, but it was compelling. The acting was good, and the Arctic scenery is spectacular.

4 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I love Damnation so far... I started a thread about it and no one responded...lol.. I thought I was the only one watching

I didn't know there was a thread for it. Cool. Here I felt like Dustin wandering around the gymnasium searching for a dance partner. Thanks, Nancy!

On 11/15/2017 at 1:16 AM, red snow said:

Wind River was one of the surprise hits of the year for me. Tyler Sheridan's scripts just keep getting better for me and he's shaping up to be a competent director - his functional style reminds me of some of Eastwood's work.

Great modern "western" and bleak. Did not know cold weather could do those things to a body.

Great film. 

Speaking of which, saw Manchester by the Sea last night. Such a fine film, very engaging. Stunning performance from Casey Affleck, very touching film.

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Great film. 

Speaking of which, saw Manchester by the Sea last night. Such a fine film, very engaging. Stunning performance from Casey Affleck, very touching film.

It's one i keep meaning to watch but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for really sad films at the moment. It's on my eventual watchlist though.

17 hours ago, Astromech said:

I didn't know there was a thread for it. Cool. Here I felt like Dustin wandering around the gymnasium searching for a dance partner. Thanks, Nancy!

I need to check damnation out. Must have slipped my radar.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I saw a free screening of Justice League last night. So bad. The villain was horrendous and I felt the humor fell flat (maybe this is because I saw Thor on Saturday?). There are just so many things that didn't work for me. 

Who is the villain?  Darseid?

I just watched the first episode of Banshee Season 4. Wtf did I just watch. The opening was a mess.

Spoiler

Time jump plus offscreen Rebecca murder, Dalton getting written off in 5 minutes and nothing very interesting going on with Carrie, Kai, Brock or Sugar. The hunt for Job wasn't very well executed either but maybe I need to watch a few more episodes for that to settle in. It's like they ended Season 3 without a real plan for Season 4 despite the obvious lead ins and then they decided to switch to a new writing team for Season 4.

Overall, I have a bad feeling about this season based on that premiere.

2 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I just watched the first episode of Banshee Season 4. Wtf did I just watch. The opening was a mess.

Hide contents

Time jump plus offscreen Rebecca murder, Dalton getting written off in 5 minutes and nothing very interesting going on with Carrie, Kai, Brock or Sugar. The hunt for Job wasn't very well executed either but maybe I need to watch a few more episodes for that to settle in. It's like they ended Season 3 without a real plan for Season 4 despite the obvious lead ins and then they decided to switch to a new writing team for Season 4.

Overall, I have a bad feeling about this season based on that premiere.

The season is a mess. They made a major mistake with the villain. But it ends really really well. Worth watching just to get to the finale.

Watched Wind River. Echo all the praise here. Probably my favorite of the year. Olsen and Renner were great. Will likely see anything Sheridan writes.

Not worried about Soldado in the slightest. Predicting it to be fucking awesome actually since Sheridan is writing and Solima is a pretty much perfect choice to replace Villenueve. 

Archived